somewhere in the woods

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

goose eye
Master of Distillation

Re: somewhere in the woods

Post by goose eye »

You got that wrong. If I was so wise I never would of come hear in the first place

So I'm tole
Tokoroa_Shiner
Distiller

Post by Tokoroa_Shiner »

That post makes too much sense. And has punctuation. Has goose eye been hacked?? Lmao
Must read topics for new members

The Rules By Which We Live By
Safety And Related Issues
New Distillers Reading Lounge

Have Fun, Keep Safe and Shine On
SoMo
Distiller

Post by SoMo »

Tokoroa_Shiner wrote:That post makes too much sense. And has punctuation. Has goose eye been hacked?? Lmao
He's a diabolical mastermind, using words as a medium like play dough twisting and turning their use and meaning, to fill a space as he sees fit. I appreciate it, too many people are becoming lazy with the written and spoken word, goose toys with it like a cat with a mouse, the mouse even unaware.
Goose you're in no danger you know it, your advice is third person"them ole boys" having never been a participant. Genius
Everything's better home made, everything!!
15.5 keg 7.75keg 2"pot still, Gold CM
Never look down on a man unless it's to help him up.
deer_farmer
Novice

Post by deer_farmer »

well I happy that all here care for myself and my well being..i never meant for my thread to ruffle feathers and offend others but it has.have a nice day.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

i seriously doubt you offended anyone. these threads are but a moment in time, and no one gives a rosy red rat's ass.
it's an open forum. if you don't want to have people comment on your posts consider publishing a blog instead. then your audience can read your blatherings and no one need reply or offer opinions, unless you allow them.

there is an entire site dedicated to people who have taken exception to posts and replies here on HD.

the written word is open to interpretation. we have a common interest here (it's most of the fun of this hobby- i can't go into work and tell them about my awesome run!!) the bantering back and forth can be mis-interpreted. get over it. have some fun. share your information if you want. or don't.

i think/thought what you were doing was kinda fun...now i'm with DanP, if there was a medal for doin' it the hard way...you should get it.
(and thats a compliment)
respect.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
Scribbler
Rumrunner

Post by Scribbler »

Hdnb: r u serious there is an entire splinter site for disenfranchised HDers? You are yanking my chain right?!? If not, can you pm me the name so I can google it and have a look-see? Can't imagine what they'd be talking about over there!!
SoMo
Distiller

Post by SoMo »

Yeah there is a couple of them, it's like the twilight zone even some of the current members here now. Don't go man don't go. Actually take a look it's recommended by some of our most trusted mentors.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

nah, they just be keepin an eye on shit.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
SoMo
Distiller

Post by SoMo »

HDNB wrote:nah, they just be keepin an eye on shit.
That's funny shit right there.
wolf man
Novice

Post by wolf man »

I came along this thread and it from sometime back...I think it is a great looking set-up in a great place...here is a guy getting back to the roots by doing a lot of hard work and I see some poking fun and making snide jokes...and it did appear that some feathers were ruffled...I think the deer farmer has it going on with that set-up in the woods...
he seems to take his shining to heart ...maybe some of the guys that are some of the best should take notes from him.nothing wrong with being in the woods and it sounds as if he has done a great job...we don't know how deep in the woods he is but I sure he still doing it...
deer_farmer
Novice

Post by deer_farmer »

Dan P. wrote:
deer_farmer wrote: i like being in the woods for that is where i live.its too bad all cant have a set-up in somewhat of the tradition that brought most if not all to this site.
believe me most of what i learned was by trial and error.thanks for all the support and help members here supplied.i now step away... :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
Now hold your breath while they fetch you the prize for doing it the hard way.
UPDATE
hold my breath?WTF is that?when did I apply for an award?i have been in the same spot for the last 2 years and not one kid looking for a fishin hole not one chopper looking at my underwear...yea some feathers was ruffled and I didn't care much about it...yes this is an open forum and we all have the way we do things,you guys was acting like I was on the verge of something bad going down...NOT,like I said it thick and no chopper gonna flew over and zoom in on my whatever...
and yes I have started to mash at the still site.my still does have suit on it until I changed my fire set-up now it only soot on the bottom as it should,i would post pictures but the real smart guys will find something wrong with it and and say"ya cant teach those who don't want to learn"like I stated before I did ask the smart guys for their wisdom.NO.
so i go back into the woods and have at it...with no dis-respect to the guys that know it all around here.
so I'm tole
ElChupacabra
Novice

Post by ElChupacabra »

Deer Farmer, I envy you. I would love to have a plot of woods off the beaten path. I live in the deserts of the southwest and trees are few and far between. I grew up in the mid west, lush green stuff all around me and I sure miss it. Sure I love 9 months of awesome weather, but I miss tromping through the woods looking for mushrooms and what not. Enjoy what you have brother, it's much better than my garage or a deck. Sit out there under the moonlight and imagine what our ancestors were thinking while they were making their shine. Good luck and stay secluded

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Dan P.
Distiller

Post by Dan P. »

deer_farmer wrote:
UPDATE
hold my breath?WTF is that?when did I apply for an award?i have been in the same spot for the last 2 years and not one kid looking for a fishin hole not one chopper looking at my underwear...yea some feathers was ruffled and I didn't care much about it...yes this is an open forum and we all have the way we do things,you guys was acting like I was on the verge of something bad going down...NOT,like I said it thick and no chopper gonna flew over and zoom in on my whatever...
and yes I have started to mash at the still site.my still does have suit on it until I changed my fire set-up now it only soot on the bottom as it should,i would post pictures but the real smart guys will find something wrong with it and and say"ya cant teach those who don't want to learn"like I stated before I did ask the smart guys for their wisdom.NO.
so i go back into the woods and have at it...with no dis-respect to the guys that know it all around here.
so I'm tole
What and how are you mashing?
Honest question.
deer_farmer
Novice

Post by deer_farmer »

I just keep the mash simple,i like the blackbeards rum.i use a 50/50 brown/white sugar instead of all brown sugar...I getting ready to start things up and have noticed skeeters may be bad this year and also carrying new sicknesses,i use deep woods off and it works.
thanks for the support guys when I get things set up I post new pictures of my new set-up.it is of the highest quality and I never seen one built like it.i not saying there aint none out there but I never seen one like it.each year the site needs prepared and cleared out...
the temps at night here still in the 60's so my first mash will be up at the house,25 gallons is nothing to sneeze at carry into the woods down across the creek and up to the site...
deer_farmer
Novice

Post by deer_farmer »

just putting the finishing touches on a new and different set-up.it not quite ready yet.i have never seen a small boiler/still used as a thumper...should work rather nice...
Attachments
0606161626-00.jpg
deer_farmer
Novice

Post by deer_farmer »

hello all just checking in to inform all the nay sayers and jerks that poked fun and stupid a$$ remarks at me for what I did somewhere in the woods.i "still" here at the same place doing the same thing...I not mashing at the site but close enough...no kids fishing no helicopters reading my underwear labels...
embarking on another season and have two barrels going,one with brown sugar and rye the other a corn meal mash...going to the spring and getting 25 gallons of water for number three mash...I check back in maybe with some new pictures or info...have a great day all.
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

Happy it's working for you.

Got nobody to please but yourself. Carry on about your business.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Hi deer farmer, I like your style mate.

I love to play in the woods too (as my username might suggest :) ) - eat all sorts of wierd mushrooms, but always keep a bit back just in case "she" needs to call an ambulance and they need something to analyse, the first couple of time I try a new one !

Dig up roots to eat and dive for water lily roots etc. Light fires with friction and sparks onto amadou. Wild smoking self caught fish, sleep in a hammock slung between two trees, or on the boat.

I completely understand your desire to "Do it right" in the traditional way - just because you want to !

I wasn't here in 2014, but you may find things have changed a bit since then.

Lovely kit you have there - both of them - Personally I'd like to hear more of your adventures. 8)

All the best

P
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Now and again I go to the woods for the old school feel myself. I love to feel that way, I'm one with nature and I hunt, fish and grow my own.?.?.?.? lol

I'm glad to see one go out and do their thing and explore their roots and do it the way I always envisioned doing it on a weekly basis.
I think what you're doing is fukn awesome and I'd love to do it that a way buy I just can't unfortunately, sometimes yea but all the time nahhh. I wish bit not!.!.!

You keep on gettin it man! I envy you!

Just loosen up a bit and enjoy what you do and keep on enjoying it, not everyone knows the power of nature and the history of moonshine. Although alot of people make likker not everyone knows the history the way we do in the woods with nature and couldn't understand the history of it.

Don't worry about the folks who don't know what!!!
Just understand that doing what you like no matter what anyone else thinks is key!

Like I said, I envy what you so and wish I had that luxury to do what you do.

Best wishes friend, Shine0n
deer_farmer
Novice

Post by deer_farmer »

I didn't realize it been almost fours years since I posted this...not much changed here...I had a whitetail deer fawn walk up on me one day bout halfway through a run,it looked at the set up and me and went on about its day.i didnt bother it a bit...I try and keep members up to date but it hard with so much to do...thanks for the kind words people and have a great day...
Reverend Newer
Swill Maker

Post by Reverend Newer »

Great photos, love the look of the smaller still used as a thumper. I have a groundhog style limestone firebox setup on my property but have yet to put it into action, still using propane.

Always thought I'd run up on a shine site while hunting for morels, hasn't happened yet.
spiritually taxed circa 1791
Beovoxo
Novice

Post by Beovoxo »

nice setup :)
deer_farmer
Novice

Post by deer_farmer »

I have two 25 gallon mashes that done and I put them out to clear.they should clear fast in the cold temps.one is potatoes,brown sugar and rye with honey the other a corn meal/white sugar...snow on the ground yet...
wolf man
Novice

Post by wolf man »

a man doing his own thing in his own time...I glad to see the deer farmer still at it deep in the woods somewhere.i also glad the smart guys quit trying to tell him his business.he seems to have it as close to tradition as he can get...
deer_farmer
Novice

Post by deer_farmer »

thanks I do the best I can.i waiting for some warm temps and dry weather.
Copperhead road
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Copperhead road »

Nice old school rigs.... :clap:
Never mistake kindness for weakness....
deer_farmer
Novice

Post by deer_farmer »

going to be in the woods Friday,maybe I update with some pictures...weather will be great for a night in the woods...
deer_farmer
Novice

Post by deer_farmer »

hey shiners I still here and kicking.down to one quart and plan to head out somewhere in the woods this weekend.it going to be great weather to be under the stars getting back to the roots of our great undertaking.if you think it was easy going deep into the woods you are sadly mistaken.being alone means many trips to the site to set it up...have a great night with the moon shining bright.
deer_farmer
Novice

Post by deer_farmer »

Dan P. wrote:
deer_farmer wrote: so this will be my first run as the old timers did it,i run my other still at the house.the tradition of a copper still with a thumper in the woods is what it is about.i feel for the old time distillers that roughed it the wild.nothing is easy and the reward will be much greater.
Romantic but wildly inconvenient unless you have to. Don't feel bad if you go back on this after a couple of sessions of getting eaten by bugs, etc.
well here I am 4 years later still in the woods.as I go back through this post I see there are a lot of good folks here.then we have the others...you know the ones that know they know it all.
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

You all talk tradition .Reason still was done that as was to hide them so ya could make some tax free money.And hopefully not get caught All the shinners I ever knew talked about how they hated the fact the law caused them to have to make it that way.Shinning goes way back in my family tree.Heard tales of how nice it was to be out in woods .Never heard one say they be in such a rough ass place way back from no ware by choice.Far as I could tell tradition was do it anywhere ya think ya could get away with it close to water source .Woods basement barn shed cave .And keeping look over shoulder for the man.Then get worried ya had it there to long and start looking for new place.Witch would mean finding another place. work on it then carriy everything on your back or if lucky a mule to new place .your carrying in still, materials to build mash boxes. grain sugar and wooden barrels.wood for fire( not any wood . dry wood that wouldnt smoke) and tools to do all this with . Then carry in something to carry likker out with . and cycle repeats itself .My father told me reason he quit shinning and got a public job was cause shinning was to hard a job for risk.Grand pa got caught twice before he quit;Great grand dad never got caught .
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper