somewhere in the woods

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

ga flatwoods
Master of Distillation

Re: somewhere in the woods

Post by ga flatwoods »

we only caught 2 small bass.have ribs on the grill now.

I didnt know hunger like that existed in the States! Yall must be poor as hell! Rather make liquor than eat huh? That's messed up. Hope the kids at least got a head each. :shock: :wtf:

instead of suet, it would be cool to do some redneck camo consisting of palmetto fronds, pine tops, and maple leaves! I can see it now, oops no I cant its camoed!

Ga Flatwoods
The hardest item to add to a bottle of shine is patience!
I am still kicking.
Ga Flatwoods
Justafarmer
Novice

Post by Justafarmer »

That's great to hear, deer farmer! I'm planning to run a fourth generation UJ tomorrow in the woods. The forecast looks good, so I should be able to get it done.

My stainless pot is camoflauged like Ga Flatwoods recommends, with palmettos, gallberries, and wax myrtles. It's so thick, I doubt it could be seen from 20 feet away, if somebody didn't know where to look. Of course, the sound of the burner will give it away from up close...
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

If you can see them they can see you

So I'm tole
Tal
Swill Maker

Post by Tal »

Nice!...like your thinking!...so how long did it take you ?...i'm guessin around 6 hrs??
"Don't be afraid to go out on a limb...that's where the fruit is!"
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

ga flatwoods wrote:we only caught 2 small bass.have ribs on the grill now.

I didnt know hunger like that existed in the States! Yall must be poor as hell! Rather make liquor than eat huh? That's messed up. Hope the kids at least got a head each. :shock: :wtf:

instead of suet, it would be cool to do some redneck camo consisting of palmetto fronds, pine tops, and maple leaves! I can see it now, oops no I cant its camoed!

Ga Flatwoods
took me like 3 minutes to figure out you were playing on the ribs of the bass. :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol:
goose eye wrote:If you can see them they can see you

So I'm tole
the FLIR cam on the police chopper could see the heat from a ferment never mind a torch. they can see the label on your underwear from outer space these days. you would never even know they was lookin.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
deer_farmer
Novice

Post by deer_farmer »

Tal wrote:Nice!...like your thinking!...so how long did it take you ?...i'm guessin around 6 hrs??
I ran 5 1/2 total quarts in 5 1/2 hours.all 5 quarts smooth and good.all 140 proof.we had a small smokey fire it was super nice out.it the best run I have had and quicker than I thought.i could run it slower next time for higher proof.

also when I look up I see no sky just trees and leaves.i thinking bout some camo netting to really set the mood.

:D :D :D
deer_farmer
Novice

Post by deer_farmer »

update-I have made a three more runs with a super result with all of them.it is work getting all items needed into the site but it is worth it to be in the woods...the 20 gal still w/thumper drives very nice,it is a sweet set up and is very smooth.no bugs to speak of at all...I have more mashing going on(rum mash).
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

What you do with your hot slops. You lime em down

So I'm tole
SoMo
Distiller

Post by SoMo »

Goose, what did them ole boys say the lime might do, keep it from stinking or drawing bugs?
Everything's better home made, everything!!
15.5 keg 7.75keg 2"pot still, Gold CM
Never look down on a man unless it's to help him up.
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

Wondering how you heated, deer farmer. You try it on wood at all? Reading your thread sure sounds nice! I am planning on taking my still when I go out for moose this year. Not much to do when the sun goes down at the moose camp. I have a 12x24 prospector tent with wood stove for my "camp" and sitting outside under the stars watching the northern lights runnin a batch after a day of hunting sounds like heaven. Out there in the bush, quiet and secluded. Just gotta watch for the game warden, although most would t care round here, don't wanna chance it being one that would report it rather than sit and have one.
SoMo
Distiller

Post by SoMo »

moosemilk wrote:Wondering how you heated, deer farmer. You try it on wood at all? Reading your thread sure sounds nice! I am planning on taking my still when I go out for moose this year. Not much to do when the sun goes down at the moose camp. I have a 12x24 prospector tent with wood stove for my "camp" and sitting outside under the stars watching the northern lights runnin a batch after a day of hunting sounds like heaven. Out there in the bush, quiet and secluded. Just gotta watch for the game warden, although most would t care round here, don't wanna chance it being one that would report it rather than sit and have one.
You invite him in for a drink of course, all Leo's like a snort of hooch.
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

I'd be diggin a hole an limein as you go. Can't wait on rain
You get downwind you can smell it it for a ways an awhile.

So I'm tole
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Many a stiller been busted by a woods wise treasury man walkin creeks lookin for slops residue in the eddies and followin his nose . Drunk hogs , deer , and other forest critters are another tipoff to a canny man .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
Axdelmar
Novice

Post by Axdelmar »

Truckinbutch wrote: Drunk hogs , deer , and other forest critters are another tipoff to a canny man .

Ok...I just blew perfectly good Hearts out of my nose...that's just not right!
If you're gonna be dumb, you better be tough.
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

Axdelmar wrote:
Truckinbutch wrote: Drunk hogs , deer , and other forest critters are another tipoff to a canny man .

Ok...I just blew perfectly good Hearts out of my nose...that's just not right!
Stick around here long enuf and you will own stock in keyboard companies.
Sorry for going off topic.
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Sorry . I just supposed most folks already knowed that . Critters don't have the built up tolerance for alcohol that we have worked at . They can get pretty goofy on a small amount .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
deer_farmer
Novice

Post by deer_farmer »

ok first off my slops as you call them get washed away in the run-off and there are no drunkin animals runnin around my woods.second there are no people here looking for stills in the woods here.no hunters or kids with fishing poles looking for a waterhole.i can understand running a still in your fenced in backyard or even on the stove in the house.that doesn't mean I going to poke fun at you for doing that...lazy city folk can run their still where ever they wish.
as for heat I have never tried wood fire I use propane.i do have a fire but it is only to cook on cause I do need to eat while in the woods.although I have thought about using a small wood fire for heat.
it is much harder to still in the woods.i am lucky to have the set up I have and thought it would be nice to get closer to the tradition that brought all of us here.i am not saying I doing just like they did in 1933 but I closer than most at my goal.
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

You can only teach someone that wants to learn

So I'm tole
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

DF, I don't think anybody was trying to bash your way of doing it, quite the opposite actually. Just helpful advice from some who have done it trying to give ya tips to remain safe. Nobody looking through the woods, but it don't take much for one plane to fly over checking for other things as they often do, or one nosey bugger. Best to be a little paranoid and overly safe.

Still like how you did it, getting back to nature! Good for you!
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

Was gonna let it lay seeing how the Ole boys didn't
have no bootleggin medal to give you.
Sometimes its best to hush an listen.

Why aint you mashin in the woods. Get a piece of
plywood an make a box line it with visqueen.

How do it smell where you dumping your hot slops
an by the way that's what folks call em.
How do it look where you dumped em.
Aint sure what you conciser run off but if it was a branch
you would need no 300 ft of hose.

Aint gonna bother you no more son. You have at it.

So I'm tole
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

I thought I was being paranoid when I thought I detected animosity on the part of OP and kept quiet .I was only trying to help with my responses . Futile effort apparently . Like Goose Eye ; I'm back quiet .
SoMo
Distiller

Post by SoMo »

Damn deer farmer you done run off two of the best on the site who were trying to help you. Don't be so sensitive, after all we are all in this together, and appreciate your getting back to nature so to speak. Good luck man.
deer_farmer
Novice

Post by deer_farmer »

hey I thank all those who offered help to me but I didn't ask for help,i just stated that I wanted to get back to the roots of the tradition and I got all this stuff about kids with fishing poles game warden a heat seeking chopper and drunkin animals.
i have a great water source here and the slops as you call them do not skink to high heaven when washed away with water into the drainage.
so what does the guy next door do when he smells slop next to his house?i have no next door beside me for many miles.
so goose eye what you trying to teach me?did i ask you a question about something?and if i did there would be 3 smart asses telling me to do a search and read,read and read some more.
i like being in the woods for that is where i live.its too bad all cant have a set-up in somewhat of the tradition that brought most if not all to this site.
believe me most of what i learned was by trial and error.thanks for all the support and help members here supplied.i now step away... :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
SoMo
Distiller

Post by SoMo »

Like sands through the hour glass these are the days of our lives. The roots would be all grain mashes in a wooden barrel, a solid copper pot and column hand made running into a flake stand, heated by wood run in the middle of the night, no water hoses sugar or an internet to post it all on. Good luck deer farmer, you're gonna need it. The cash crop chopper is the one thing you can't hide from, and they will be hitting it hard now.
Dan P.
Distiller

Post by Dan P. »

deer_farmer wrote: i like being in the woods for that is where i live.its too bad all cant have a set-up in somewhat of the tradition that brought most if not all to this site.
believe me most of what i learned was by trial and error.thanks for all the support and help members here supplied.i now step away... :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
Now hold your breath while they fetch you the prize for doing it the hard way.
Skipper1953
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Skipper1953 »

IBTL

Not by much, I hope.
SoMo
Distiller

Post by SoMo »

Ibtl? What's that?
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

SoMo wrote:Ibtl? What's that?
In Before Thread Locked
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

What's a thread

So I'm tole
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

Damn goose,i been reading your posts and know how wise you are. But this time you got me scratching my head wondering if you don't know or you're yanking that chain.