Disaster With Sacrificial Wine Cleaning Run

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

cob
Master of Distillation

Re: Disaster With Sacrificial Wine Cleaning Run

Post by cob »

Prairiepiss wrote: snip. that boiler has me cornfused. 10 gal corny kegs usually were not used for soda. What you have looks more like a cleaning solution tank. Used by distributors to clean keg systems. What kind of connections did it have on top?
i have 10 and 15 gallon cornys started life as portable eye wash stations.
be water my friend
whiskymonster
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by whiskymonster »

Very good chance that your scrubbies were eaten by the Pepsi syrup (or whatever post mix soda pop it was)
That stuff is the very piss of the devil himself!
I have seen a leaky box of syrup leak run all the way down the painted concrete floor to the drain.
After a couple days the stuff dries to a pitch like consistency, and puts up a spirited attempt to resist the jetwasher. I used pub line cleaner to remove it, and found that while it dissolves easy enough after that, it had also removed a nice neat line of paint all the way to the drain too! Tech services tell me that it won't have bothered synthetic floor paint too much, but happily ate away the concrete underneath!
And people drink that shit?

If your scrubbies are cheap stainless, then there is no way they will stand up to that kind of abuse.

Ask your friendly pub landlord if he will give you a couple pints of line cleaner.
Its exactly the same stuff that Pepsi tech services use to clear out a line that has been left for months.
Fill your boiler with that stuff diluted, leave over night and jetwash again.
Maybe even soak your column in it and do another water cleaning run.
It rinses really easy, ( its designed to) but make sure you rinse well, as there is some nasty shit in there.
It's much easier to cut a bit off than weld a bit on...
Easterfields
Novice

Post by Easterfields »

Thank you for saving me the disaster you experienced, I just tested my, as yet unused, COPPER SCRUBBERS, and yes they are strongly attracted to a magnet, so obviously NOT copper !!!
Attachments
Obviously NOT copper scrubbers, despite the label !
Obviously NOT copper scrubbers, despite the label !
copper scourer small.jpg (74.96 KiB) Viewed 501 times