Sour Mash flavored with fruit loops....

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

NcGunny
Bootlegger

Sour Mash flavored with fruit loops....

Post by NcGunny »

Not done intentionally but it seems my boy decided to pop the air lock off of carboy and fill it up with his fruit loops. Actually smells interesting. Anyways will be ready to run any day now, may have just discovered a new Panty Dropper recipe.
Is your life worth.."Better fix that next time"????
RandyMarshCT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Sour Mash flavored with fruit loops....

Post by RandyMarshCT »

If it comes out phenomenal, you ought to put a bottle away for his 21st birthday. As repayment for his contributions, of course.
Life member, representative, and proud supporter of the Hobby Distiller's Association.

http://www.hobbydistillersassociation.org
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

Kids. That's funny as hell.....now. :ebiggrin:

tp
StillLearning1
Trainee

Post by StillLearning1 »

What was the original recipe?
But what the heck do I know.....I am still learning.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

RandyMarshCT wrote:If it comes out phenomenal, you ought to put a bottle away for his 21st birthday. As repayment for his contributions, of course.
If it comes out terrible, you ought to put a bottle away for his 21st birthday. As repayment for his contributions, of course.

You're gonna miss this. :D
Last edited by MichiganCornhusker on Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
StillLearning1
Trainee

Post by StillLearning1 »

MichiganCornhusker wrote:
RandyMarshCT wrote:If it comes out phenomenal, you ought to put a bottle away for his 21st birthday. As repayment for his contributions, of course.
If it comes out terrible, you ought to put a bottle away for his 21st birthday. As repayment for his contributions, of course.

You're gonna miss this... :D

+1!!! :clap: :lolno:
But what the heck do I know.....I am still learning.
NcGunny
Bootlegger

Post by NcGunny »

Tried a sample of the wash today. Has the flavor of a dry sour mash with a fruity flavor follows.No specific fruit comes to mind at all...kinda like a whole jumble of fruit flavors in your mouth. Gunna run it tomorrow morning but I am thinking that the flavor wont carry over though,maybe if this wasnt a 4th gen run..
SassyFrass
Distiller
Location: Sittin' on the side of the Mountain sippin' and smilin'

Post by SassyFrass »

StillLearning1 wrote:
MichiganCornhusker wrote:

You're gonna miss this... :D

+1!!! :clap: :lolno:
+1!!! I agree. This is the stuff you'll think back on as he grows up. Enjoy it while you can, they grow up quick.
Simple Lil' Pot Still, no temp guage, no carbon, no scrubbers, nuthin' fancy. Sometimes use a thumper, sometimes don't.

Real good info for New Folks:
NcGunny
Bootlegger

Post by NcGunny »

Ran my wash today..Siphoning in the wash my whole garage took on a air of fruitloops.Decided not to bother with the thumper or scrubbies.(figured this was going to be a sac run of sorts) Heads were horrible..early hearts still had a fruity taste and smell.Mid hearts still carried over taste and aroma. Late into the cuts the taste was incredible. Not really sure how to describe the flavor,any corn flavor was overpowered by the fruity goodness. Almost like a Fruitloop extract had been added to each jar.I have left 1 jar to air out and see if the flavor fades. Figure I will combine all and temper. Bottle will be put away for the boy..lol
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Ha ha, Gunny. This is a deja vu moment.

25 years ago when I started brewing beer, a close friend in our brew club had an incident similar; his 4 y.o. boy stuffed cat food (pellets) into one of his carboy fermenters. The cat food started a feverish ferment in the vessel. He asked me if he should dump it out. I said, "heck no".

He let it ferment out and it finished quite dry, as the alcohol drove it down. We conditioned the beer in a keg and sampled it. Not bad. I didn't think anything more about it until we held an AHA contest a year later. He snuck an entry in with his cat food brew. It actually showed quite well in a domestic ale class. It wasn't until he took a blue ribbon in the class did he divulge the secret. We all laughed and toasted with a spare bottle.

Bottomline, yeast are miracle workers. And time works miracles.

Your boy will prize the bottle. Make sure you save a couple.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
NcGunny
Bootlegger

Post by NcGunny »

Lol!! I remember my dad talking about catfood once. Main ingrediant is usually a corn product and some has molasses added. Someone should start a Survivalist Liquer thread.
W Pappy
Distiller

Post by W Pappy »

That's funny stuff I'm tellin ya " fruit loop shine" think this'n will make tried and true Gunny lol.
Buy the ticket and ride the lightnin boys !!!
Impatience is the root of all bad things in my book of makin likker!
The sound of a thumper is the heart beat of the rebel" Warden Pappy"
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

Good or bad I would set a bottle back for his 21st. Sounds like a ferment that a Jarhead would do. Semper Fi.
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
NcGunny
Bootlegger

Post by NcGunny »

Going to try and recreate the accidental Fruit Loop Sour Mash. I let everything sit that I got off the run and the fruit loop taste is now not so in your face...it is definately still there and you know its fruity.And it for sure is a good drunk..lol. So here is the main question. My boy didnt add the fruit loops until near the end of the mash workin...the cereal had made the wash start off again for apprx. a day to day and a half,then it went back to being ready. Reading the cereal box ingrediants its full of corn,wheat flower etc..plenty of vitamins and of course a ton of sugar.I am betting that the flavor wont carry if fruit loops are added at the beginning. But...going to make 5 gallons up and split in half,try cereal at the start of mash #1 and add cereal near the end of 2nd . No carboys this time to aid in cleaning. Also it will be back to a 1st Gen run of sour mash since I dumped everything from the last. Do ya think this is a good starting point to begin recreating the Accidental Fruit Loop Sourmash or AFLSM?
Kegg_jam
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kegg_jam »

I'm guessing your boy dumped them in whole.

Wonder if it would be better to crush them up first...?
NcGunny
Bootlegger

Post by NcGunny »

He dumped them in whole..by the time i noticed it they had turned into a layer of bubbling sludge on the top.The cap settled after 12 hrs apprx. It probably wont matter much if left crushed or whole,but i am thinking of smashing them up. Never really had a need to do a plain sugar wash but I am wondering if it wouldnt be a good infusion.
dstaines
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dstaines »

What a smart little helper!

Buddy of mine decided it was time to put the homebrewing hobby aside for later in life when he found a handful of batteries in the bottom of his fermenter, nobody was guessing how they got there with a two year old boy in the house at the time
I buy all my liquor at the hardware store.
W Pappy
Distiller

Post by W Pappy »

Gunny I was just thinking that may be a good one for the birdwachers.Just throw a couple handfuls in and let er ferment out and run er.
Buy the ticket and ride the lightnin boys !!!
Impatience is the root of all bad things in my book of makin likker!
The sound of a thumper is the heart beat of the rebel" Warden Pappy"
NcGunny
Bootlegger

Post by NcGunny »

W Pappy wrote:Gunny I was just thinking that may be a good one for the birdwachers.Just throw a couple handfuls in and let er ferment out and run er.
I will give the recipe a look over, my buddy stopped in and I gave him a pint to try. I got my pint bottle back before he even left the house..lol I really wish someone would invent a smell App so I could post it..lmao
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

NcGunny wrote:
W Pappy wrote:Gunny I was just thinking that may be a good one for the birdwachers.Just throw a couple handfuls in and let er ferment out and run er.
I will give the recipe a look over, my buddy stopped in and I gave him a pint to try. I got my pint bottle back before he even left the house..lol I really wish someone would invent a smell App so I could post it..lmao
Was it empty?
ss
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

It would have been had it been me.

tp
NcGunny
Bootlegger

Post by NcGunny »

Yeah he drank the whole pint in under 10 minutes. Whats so unusual is that i rarely get a pint or quart back to reuse.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

Gunny, you crack me up. You've manage to make lemonade out of a bin full of lemons. Cheers.

You know what I do...when I give my liquor bottles to friends? I tell them that they're refillable. I always get them back that way (empty, of course). But the amazing thing is that they always come back. I guess when the liquor is free...and damn tasty too...why wouldn't they?

I toast (with the) to the Fruit Loop King!
ss
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

still_stirrin wrote:I toast (with the) to the Fruit Loop King!
And he's not even a Californian city guy. :think:

tp (and a quarter mile to the mailbox)
NcGunny
Bootlegger

Post by NcGunny »

Update...Washes almost done working and it doesnt seem to matter if they are crushed or whole. #1 had fruitlooos added at the start...cap folded under in 15 hours. Smells incredible. Btw..fruitloops were crushed. #2 I added whole fruitloops apprx the same time my boy did. Cap formed that rainbow sludge and fell in 13 hrs. Tried some of both washes and I cant tell the difference in em honestly. If anything #2 is more fragrant.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

NcGunny wrote:...#2 is more fragrant.
Courage, Gunny, you are out there alone in Froot Loop land... :thumbup:
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
gungatim
Novice

Post by gungatim »

I have tried fruty-pebbles cereal, had a similar experience. I think the vitamins they spray on breakfast cereals also help the yeast ferment faster, every batch I have added leftover stale cereal the kid won't eat to always works faster. cocoa-puffs and count chocula leave a little odd taste though.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

gungatim wrote:I have tried fruty-pebbles cereal, had a similar experience. I think the vitamins they spray on breakfast cereals also help the yeast ferment faster, every batch I have added leftover stale cereal the kid won't eat to always works faster. cocoa-puffs and count chocula leave a little odd taste though.
Interesting....you guys may be onto something. Surprisingly, it does make sense since packaged cereal is often fortified with nutrients as required so they're not simply sugar and puffed nothingness.

Still interested in the fruity goodness imparted in flavor and aroma....how well it fares with 3 months to 6 months age.

Good info here.
ss
NcGunny
Bootlegger

Post by NcGunny »

Ran both batches last night and they turned out identical in flavor. Second batch produced 1 quart more than the first. Going to try a fast age with the coffee pot for 12 hours.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

still_stirrin wrote:Interesting....you guys may be onto something. Surprisingly, it does make sense since packaged cereal is often fortified with nutrients as required so they're not simply sugar and puffed nothingness.
That was the whole rationale behind the All Bran recipe... It wasn't so much for the flavor as it was for the nutrients... All Bran is the highest vitamin and mineral fortified cereal on the market, or at least it was when I compiled my data... The nice flavor is just an added bonus...