First AG -- URRV

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: First AG -- URRV

Post by Swedish Pride »

I got around to the cuts last night, this stuff is real nice.
don't know if it was that it was an AG or that i ran slower than usual, but this is by far the most satisfied I've been with a run.

I collected 13 250ml botles after 300ml of fores and then stripped a bit of tails as well.
1-5 were heads 6-11(!) were hearts, 12-13 were tails, i could have ran down a few more bottles but it was late and I could not be bothered.
Anyways, 6-11 combined were at 68%, a bit high so I proofed it down to 50% got 2l after a lot of spilling :D

At 50% this is ridiculously smooth, I can sip it on it's own and there is no hint of burn at all, this is without aging.
I was unsure if I remembered it right after the cuts, thought I may have been a bit biased, so I took it down from the shelf and had a swig from the bottle.
Nope remembered it right super smooth at 50%

This really should be the go to for a neutral for potstillers, it's produces a great neutral, only downside is that I don't really drink neutral but it should keep the missus in stock for a while.

Absolutely chuffed that I got so much after such a lazy approach to the mashing, them enzymes rock!!!

I kept 2.5 l of faints at 55% that I'll combine with the piggyback that i have going now.
Don't be a dick
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

Good to hear that it was such a success. Mine is clearing in 3 five gallon plastic water jugs (about 14.5 gallons). I'll probably do the first stripping runs early next week. Everything I've read in the URRV recipe thread seems to say that it is something special.

I was a little apprehensive about getting the wash processed after the ferment. Many folks seem to say that it was a little messy to work with. I didn't find that to be the case at all. I used the ass press and got all 16 gallons of wash processed in one go. It was a lot of work, but no more so than with any other wash.

SP, enjoy the fruits of your labor. Congratulations on the successful run.
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

Hope you have as a successful run as I did, I think you will be surprised of how good it is.
yours may be better as I did not let mine clear at all. I pressed and ran right away, it foamed a bit but stayed in the bowl, no pukes.
Don't be a dick
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

Oh, I'll be running all of it. The clear stuff will go into the boiler and the dirty wash and dregs at the bottom will go into the thumper. I wouldn't normally let a secondary settling go for so long, but next week is the soonest I can get to it. If I were running something like a SF or UJ, I would siphon it straight from the fermenter into the boiler for the stripping run. Only reason I don't put it directly into a stripping run in this case is because the pressing pretty much wears me out and I'm too exhausted to setup and run the still. I'm gettin' too old for this crap.
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yakattack »

Glad you two are both getting good results, honestly I think this is one reciepe that would work well on a plated column. We have to convince cranky to do a rice and put it through muggles.
HDNB wrote: The trick here is to learn what leads to a stalled mash....and quit doing that.
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

HEY CRANKY!!! You heard the man. Run a URRV through your "Muggles" still. Ain't no more difficult to mash and ferment than any other grain. By all accounts it's good stuff.
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

just ran the sugarhead, got 1.8l of 60%abv keep.
Not as smooth as the AG but very little sugar burn.
Also the grainy taste from the rice is not present in the sugarhead so more neutral flavor.
Don't be a dick
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

i was wondering where this experience would take you... so a pretty good vodka from the riceballhead? this whole thing sounded like a great success!

do you have any of the the original AG left? is time treating it good?
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

This has me convinced that AG is the way to go, the bite from cereal sugar heads had me doubting if I can make a nice drink.
So I've just put on a AG whiskey mash last night, just about to pitch the yeast.

personally I don't have much interest in vodka so it's all there, bar the bottle I made Kaluha with.
I do sip it ocationally just to make sure I remember it right, and yep still smoth. it's loosing some of it's graininess over time, thats a good thing in my book.
I made it for the missus and she's been pregnant until yesterday so have not had a drop, I can see that changing in the near future though.
Don't be a dick
The Booze Pipe
Swill Maker

Post by The Booze Pipe »

Good thread guys. I'm looking at making this rice vodka, the sugar head way. I use it to make gin and things. I just got a 24gal fermenter so I'll probably attempt to do a 20 gallon wash: five pounds rice per four gallons water, and three pounds sugar per four gallons. I'm looking at 20 lbs of rice & 15 lbs of sugar into 20 gallons of water; does this sound right (haven't had my coffee yet)?
I don't have a mill, so I'm not sure if I'll get the rice milled; and it sounds like I need to make up an "ass press". I would like to do the 'boil rice' method, it sounds like you get more starches that way. but I am curious how the rice comes out: a rice soup, or more like steamed rice?
It will also be my first time using enzymes, so I'm looking forward to the fun. Should I post progress here, on the original, or start my own thread?
13.5g/50L keg
modular 3" pot/VM copper&stainless w/offset gin head
26g 4" stripping still
5500watts of fury
The Booze Pipe
Swill Maker

Post by The Booze Pipe »

Is there a description or write-up for an ass press? It's not a joke is it?
13.5g/50L keg
26g 4" stripping still
5500watts of fury
Snowe
Novice

Post by Snowe »

I Just finished my first spirit run with this stuff, still airing it out then I gotta proof it down. It's sitting at 71% as is right now.

I boiled to help release starches but had several scorch scares. I thought I ruined the last batch but the scorch smell went away after the yeast worked for a day and it didn't come over in the distillate either.

I also didn't mill and I'm not sure if it would even be worth the effort. Honestly the enzymes reduced the rice down to slop anyways, I had to use my mop bucket to press it all out.
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

The Boze Pipe wrote:Good thread guys. I'm looking at making this rice vodka, the sugar head way. I use it to make gin and things. I just got a 24gal fermenter so I'll probably attempt to do a 20 gallon wash: five pounds rice per four gallons water, and three pounds sugar per four gallons. I'm looking at 20 lbs of rice & 15 lbs of sugar into 20 gallons of water; does this sound right (haven't had my coffee yet)?
I don't have a mill, so I'm not sure if I'll get the rice milled; and it sounds like I need to make up an "ass press". I would like to do the 'boil rice' method, it sounds like you get more starches that way. but I am curious how the rice comes out: a rice soup, or more like steamed rice?
It will also be my first time using enzymes, so I'm looking forward to the fun. Should I post progress here, on the original, or start my own thread?

Is there a description or write-up for an ass press? It's not a joke is it?

I would leave the sugar out but if you want to add it I'd follow the original recipe, it's T&T for a reason :thumbup:
I didn't boil it so not sure how it comes out, just having it sit in hot water worked fine for me.

If I were you I'd start a new thread, so you only get feedback/input in regards to your efforts. :idea:

The ass press is made up of three buckets.
Bucket 1 is the outer bucket, no modification other than a tap in the bottom of it.
Bucket 2 sits in bucket 1, if has loads of holes drilled in it, effectively turning it in to a strainer, there is also a brewbag or paint strainer in bucket 2.
Bucket 3 in a normal bucket.

put bucket 2 in to bucket 1, add brewbag to bucket2.
fill brewbag with your gloup, close it and push down a bit on it.
Put bucket 3 in to bucket 2, put a plank on bucket 3 and your ass on the plank.
Voilà, you are ass pressing your grain :clap:
You can also put bricks or water in bucket 3 so you don't have to sit there.

Now go forth and make some great spirit!
Don't be a dick
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

consider not boiling to release starch unless you are planning on converting starch with an enzyme. it burns onto elements bad.

ass press link: http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 1&start=90

SP - how did the whiskey turn out that you mention ^^^ . Is there a thread i missed somewhere?

now i drink for evil.
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

HDNB wrote: SP - how did the whiskey turn out that you mention ^^^ . Is there a thread i missed somewhere?
It's a bit young, about 2 months but getting there, this batch however is earmarked for 18 years on the shelf. I made it on the birthday of my youngest, so will share with him on his 18th birthday.

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 11&t=57347

Not the best fist go but hope to apply lessons learned to a new batch over chirstmas
Don't be a dick
rager
Distiller

Post by rager »

got a couple buckets of rice finishing now. didnt follow the urrv thread. just did my normal mashing procedure . 2 # or rice to the gallon got me 1.07 on both buckets. they are slow as hell of a ferment but its also a little cooler in my ferment room. right now on is 1.008 the other is 1.02. im very excited because of how good the mash tasted as a sweet sugary water mix and now that one bucket is almost completed , as a wine is fantastic. im hoping to get to 1.000 which would be right at 9%.

hopefully i can strip one in the next day or so and ill let you know what i think of the low wines.

cheers everyone
The Booze Pipe
Swill Maker

Post by The Booze Pipe »

I'm not a math whiz but it looks like the original recipe is 1.25 lbs rice per gallon, and .7 lbs sugar per gallon, .4 g yeast per gallon, & enzymes. I'll start a thread when I get around to this. Thank you for the help Swedish Pride!
I am confused about one thing with the Ass Press: if you press the wash post fermentation, wouldn't that put a lot of yeast into your wash? My understanding and experience is that you don't want any yeast going into the boiler; those flavors will carry over. Thanks again
13.5g/50L keg
26g 4" stripping still
5500watts of fury
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

@ boze the yeast will settle out when cleared or cold crashed. Then rack to boiler. You may consider fermenting off the grain...it smells way better at the point of conversion, than post fermentation. The trade off of course would be some amount of flavour, but the idea of URRV is a neutral, right?

Or are you just using the rice for flavour, like in a UJSSM and the sugar is for the alcohol?

As i write this, i'm thinking convert the rice with enzymes, then press, then add sugar and pitch for less stickiness...but then i'm thinking why put sugar in at all...just up the rice x2 and turn the enzymes loose on it.

hmm... :think: too much thinking not enough doing.

good luck with it. post up on the results!

now i drink for evil.
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

What he said ^^.

Also I pressed and ran in one foul swoop, didn't have any negative impact that I could pick out.
It's very smooth, with a grainy mouthfeel from the rice.
Don't be a dick
Hilltop
Swill Maker

Post by Hilltop »

S-Cackalacky wrote:I was lucky with the ass press. Just a few weeks before making mine I bought a beer brewing kit at the flea market for $8 (USD). There were two 6 gallon buckets with the kit - a fermenter and a bottling bucket. The bottling bucket has a drain valve at the bottom and because it's taller than a typical 5 gallon HDPE bucket, it gives a lot of space at the bottom when the sieve bucket is stacked inside. I run a 5/16" clear hose from the drain to a 5 gallon plastic water jug. I set the ass press on top of two stacked milk crates and the 5 gallon jug on the floor. I fill the top bucket with water for the weight and stack some bricks on the lid for extra weight. The one time I've used it so far, it has worked great. I don't even try to siphon off the clear stuff. I just pour everything into the ass press and do a secondary clearing in the water jug.

I hope you'll be posting up about your piggyback as well. I won't be doing one, but I'm sure that others who are following your thread might be interested in hearing about it. It's been a pleasure following along with your progress and comparing notes on our respective ferments. Keep us posted on the outcome of your spirit run.
Hey SC you got a picture of this " ass" press? How you straining rice now? I got the jest of the press but would like to see an actual ass presser in action! Lol!

I see most are using ec1118 but has anyone tried distillers yeast or just plain ol bread? Not much of a vodka man myself so just wondering about using the yeast I have on hand.

One more, is grinding the rice necessary as it gets pretty mushy when cooked. Would u suggest just steaming it in a barrel or cooking it? I'm gonna do a 50 gallon batch so I'm studying up on it now.
"Virtute et armis" By valor and arms

Let's keep our country free as God has given us.

"Give me Liberty or Give me Death."
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

SC isn't here these days so can't help with the pic.

I used bread yeast, worked fine for me.
I just dumped the rice in a barrel added boiling water and enzymes at the right temps, didn't calculate yield but I was happy with the amount i got

Hope that helps
Don't be a dick
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

That which you seek may be found here, Hilltop, compliments of OBX Phantom:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 1&start=60" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
Hilltop
Swill Maker

Post by Hilltop »

MichiganCornhusker wrote:That which you seek may be found here, Hilltop, compliments of OBX Phantom:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 1&start=60" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Thanks, I hope SC is doing well, he seemed like a pretty thoughtful fellow. I can just imagine my old lady's look if she saw me in the yard sitting my fat ass on a bucket jumping up and down in my boxer draws. She already thinks I'm crazy for making liqueur wait till I tell her I'm gonna ass press it! Rolmao!! I'm gonna take a roll of toilet paper with me to throw her off! Ha!
"Virtute et armis" By valor and arms

Let's keep our country free as God has given us.

"Give me Liberty or Give me Death."