Apple Brandy!

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

PTS_35
Swill Maker

Re: Apple Brandy!

Post by PTS_35 »

Idk if this was said and missed it but when using the r cider are you heating it up to 80, 90 f? Before pitching or leaving it room temperature?
PTS_35
Swill Maker

Post by PTS_35 »

Planned on trying this with cider and yeast only. Should I be aiming for the 1.050 original gravity? Should I have some juice concentrate handy just in case?? Or is it a necessity
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

PTS_35 wrote:Idk if this was said and missed it but when using the r cider are you heating it up to 80, 90 f? Before pitching or leaving it room temperature?
I pitch cold. Just sprinkle it on top and let it do it's thing.
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

PTS_35, most yeast suitable for fruit ferments (wines) are lower temperature yeast. I use Lalvin EC-1118 with a temp range of something like 65 to 75 dF (about normal room temp).

Posted with Cranky.
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

PTS_35 wrote:Planned on trying this with cider and yeast only. Should I be aiming for the 1.050 original gravity? Should I have some juice concentrate handy just in case?? Or is it a necessity
It's not necessary but if you want to boost the S.G. adding the concentrate is the way to do it.

The package of 1118 actually says to pitch at 104-109F in 2oz of water but when I tried it following the directions I had a failure to start. A second package pitched directly into the 60-65F juice started right up. I know some say you have to rehydrate in water but I never do and haven't had a problem except with S-04
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

cranky wrote:
PTS_35 wrote:Planned on trying this with cider and yeast only. Should I be aiming for the 1.050 original gravity? Should I have some juice concentrate handy just in case?? Or is it a necessity
It's not necessary but if you want to boost the S.G. adding the concentrate is the way to do it.

The package of 1118 actually says to pitch at 104-109F in 2oz of water but when I tried it following the directions I had a failure to start. A second package pitched directly into the 60-65F juice started right up. I know some say you have to rehydrate in water but I never do and haven't had a problem except with S-04
I stirred three packs of 1118 into a cup of room temp apple juice, let it get cloudy and start to foam up then pitched into room temp juice.
Ferment went from 1.076 down to 1.000 in a week.
(cheapo Chinese apple juice with concentrate, so YMMV)
Cranky's spoonfeeding:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52975

Time and Oak will sort it out.
PTS_35
Swill Maker

Post by PTS_35 »

Thanks that was another question. Rehydration and temp. Just got my packs of 1118 today. Ready to do this
PTS_35
Swill Maker

Post by PTS_35 »

If I'm reading right, the og of 1.050 or in that ball park is before pitching?
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

PTS_35 wrote:If I'm reading right, the og of 1.050 or in that ball park is before pitching?
That's totally normal for 'regular apple juice'.
The sweeter the variety the higher the OG should be.
Cranky's spoonfeeding:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52975

Time and Oak will sort it out.
PTS_35
Swill Maker

Post by PTS_35 »

Ok sounds good. Can't wait to start this. Grabbing a 2nd 5 gal bucket so I can do two batches. Want one for hard cider. I gotta small still. Run 3.5 gal at a time
biker geek
Swill Maker

Post by biker geek »

105f is not the pitching temp, it's the rehydration temp. Hydrate it at 105, wait for it to cool, then pitch. I usually rehydrate before I start the rest of the rest of the steps to give it time to cool. The temp of the wash should be within 15 to 20 degrees of the yeast slurry.
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

biker geek wrote:105f is not the pitching temp, it's the rehydration temp. Hydrate it at 105, wait for it to cool, then pitch. I usually rehydrate before I start the rest of the rest of the steps to give it time to cool. The temp of the wash should be within 15 to 20 degrees of the yeast slurry.
???
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Oldvine Zin wrote:
biker geek wrote:105f is not the pitching temp, it's the rehydration temp. Hydrate it at 105, wait for it to cool, then pitch. I usually rehydrate before I start the rest of the rest of the steps to give it time to cool. The temp of the wash should be within 15 to 20 degrees of the yeast slurry.
???
oops misread your context _ never mind I agree with you
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

I usually just pitch on the surface whether I'm using EC-1118 or bakers. Never had a problem with it kicking off. I don't stir it in. I think it finds the sugar just fine on its own.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

S-Cackalacky wrote:I usually just pitch on the surface whether I'm using EC-1118 or bakers. Never had a problem with it kicking off. I don't stir it in. I think it finds the sugar just fine on its own.
That's what I do too except once when it failed to start, it gets going pretty quickly too.
PTS_35
Swill Maker

Post by PTS_35 »

I pitched 1118 on last night. Juice was OG 1.050 and 2nd fermentor was 1.060. One packet per bucket sprinkled on top and left alone. This am, nothing. Air locks arentry bubbling at all. I did push the lid down to release the air, y'know right after you put it on. Idk if that would slow anything down.
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

With the lid off, do you see any activity - bubbles breaking on the surface? Shine a light on the surface to get a better view of any bubbles. If it's actively bubbling and there's no air-lock activity, the lids are possibly leaking - bucket lids are notorious for that. Put a bead of honey, or some such, inside the groove in the lid for a better seal.

If you don't see any activity, could be the yeast. Was the juice hot when you pitched? Did you aerate before pitching? Is the ambient air temp between 60 and 75 dF? Is the PH correct - between 4 and 6? Answer these questions to troubleshoot the problem. If the answers are all good, it could be that the yeast is dead - past its shelf-life.
PTS_35
Swill Maker

Post by PTS_35 »

I'll have to post a pic. I don't have any way to test pH. I took lids off and both look the same, froth on top. Best way I can describe it. Though I don't see any bubbles breaking on surface but I'll check later at lunch. Geez. Hope its not the yeast I just bought 10 packs
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

If it's just straight up apple juice, it's probably unlikely to be a PH problem. If it has "froth", that's a good sign. Something, likely yeast activity, has to produce the froth. My guess is a bad lid seal and that's why I don't bother with airlocks anymore. The lids seem to lose their ability to make a good seal after 2 or 3 uses. Keep in mind too that EC-1118 is a fairly slow fermenting yeast. It won't be as violently active as something like bakers yeast.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

PTS don't be so impatient it will work 1118 knows what to do with apple cider. Yeast spends a day in the aerobic phase multiplying before it gets to work that's perfectly normal. If you need proof wait another day or two and stick your head in the bucket take a big sniff. If it knocks you back and burned your sinuses that's the co2 and its working fine. Yeast and apple cider are both mother nature's gifts. The only way you'll screw it up is if you get in the way
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
PTS_35
Swill Maker

Post by PTS_35 »

Ok. You guys are making sense. Thanks. I only have experienced all bran and bakers so I've been wondering...abt the differences. Cider this time, 1118 vs bakers. I pitched this one where I stirred bakers in. Having trouble uploading pic from my phone. Anyway try later from desktop. What I see is a thin froth layer on top with small bubbles but they aren't breaking or are new ones forming in front of me. Already smell a sour note
PTS_35
Swill Maker

Post by PTS_35 »

48 hrs and no action on the airlocks. Really wanna lift the lid and take a look but won't that just add O2 and slow process. If there is a process going on. I'll have to buy ph test strips. Looking at yeast packs. Only appearance of a date says 02-2018. I'll wait to open it up until Friday morning. I read on a hard cider site it could take 72hrs. Idk...
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Pull the airlock, put your nose to the hole and press on the lid. Take a good sniff. If its working youll know. Bucket lids are notorious for leaking. I dont even use airlocks anymore except on carboys.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Jimbo wrote: Bucket lids are notorious for leaking
:shock:
Apple juice is just over $2 a gallon and all this talk about apple brandy has made me decide to make a gallon or two. :wink:
PTS_35
Swill Maker

Post by PTS_35 »

Jimbo wrote:Pull the airlock, put your nose to the hole and press on the lid. Take a good sniff. If its working youll know. Bucket lids are notorious for leaking. I dont even use airlocks anymore except on carboys.
Went down this am to give it a stir and take a reading but one bucket is now bubbling. It's a slow one but it's bubbling. Other hasn't started yet but won't touch it for another day.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

You've got good datecode yeast and juice. The only way it wont go is if you get in the way, add stuff, dork with pH, open it too often letting infection in etc.
whistlewetter
Swill Maker

Post by whistlewetter »

I may try this myself! I tried the canned peach recipe once and it was terrible.
Last edited by whistlewetter on Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
PTS_35
Swill Maker

Post by PTS_35 »

Yeah juice was good and yeast said 2/2018. I know, I want to keep going down there and messing with it. I haven't other than next morning I took lid off to look at it. I'll wait. See if 2nd starts going. This is where lack of experience sucks
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

Like Jimbo said....LEAVE IT ALONE! Just pitch and forget for a month or so, that's what I was told and that's what I did. It takes some time, but it's worth it. :thumbup:
If you wear underwear then it's a dress!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=62150 How I run a small still
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

whistlewetter wrote:I may try this myself! I tried the canned peach recipe once and it was terrible.
I also tried the peach recipe, I learned that you have to wait to get good flavor.
If you wear underwear then it's a dress!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=62150 How I run a small still