really old still design that i bought

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

desahih
Novice

really old still design that i bought

Post by desahih »

check out my new bought first still...it's really cool..but the problem is..is it a reflux or a pot still?it's used here in Lebanon to make arak which is a spirit.any ideas?i want to know If I can make vodka with it.
this is the still but mine is smaller..about 5 liters bottom pot
this is the still but mine is smaller..about 5 liters bottom pot
Dan P.
Distiller

Re: really old still design that i bought

Post by Dan P. »

Seems like alqitara style stills like that one are more suited for essential oils and essences than for booze, as they collect everything and don't allow for any passive reflux at all, but still you should be able to make a decent drop in it. Perhaps yours is different from the strict alqitara construction?
Lastly, I think you will find 5 litres a little small.
desahih
Novice

Post by desahih »

Dan P. wrote:Seems like alqitara style stills like that one are more suited for essential oils and essences than for booze, as they collect everything and don't allow for any passive reflux at all, but still you should be able to make a decent drop in it. Perhaps yours is different from the strict alqitara construction?
Lastly, I think you will find 5 litres a little small.
yea i just searched it...it is an alqitara and yes it is small...thanks mate you have a wide range of information
Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Danespirit »

+1 Dan
It would look great, if shined up.. :thumbup:
However...before you distill anything with your new still, there are a few things that should be addressed:

The plastichose on the takeoff, has to go..rip it off..!
You should check the solderjob for any lead. Get a leadtest kit and see if it's ok (IMPORTANT..! ).
I don't know what that gray stuff on the boiler is (hopefully clay), any syntetics like plastc padding has to be properly removed.
Use flourpaste instead, it seals and you won't die if it comes into your spirits.
You should't expect a lot of product, due to the small size of the still....cuts will also be hard to judge for a new distiller.
Now..please don't take this as i am shooting your nice little thing down...i just want you to enjoy the hobby and do it safe..!
Please also have a look at the link in my signature, if you ain't already reading.
desahih
Novice

Post by desahih »

danespirit my still is new copper all shined...smaller than this..i use floor paste too.
got this pic from the internet just to attach it here.
the idea is ,does it reflux a little?cause of the column structure.
desahih
Novice

Post by desahih »

ohh and + my distillate is getting hot..not too hot but hot not cold.is it a problem?
Dan P.
Distiller

Post by Dan P. »

desahih wrote:danespirit my still is new copper all shined...smaller than this..i use floor paste too.
got this pic from the internet just to attach it here.
the idea is ,does it reflux a little?cause of the column structure.
Yes, it might give a little reflux. If you are handy tou might be able to add a dephlegmator, but wuth only 5 liter capacity you will probably be ready to upgrade soon.

OR, to make arak, you macerate the herbs and spices in a finished product/neutral, then you distil that, so maybe use this still for the final run, and use another still to make the neutral?

There are so many options in this hobby.

PS The best sealing paste (lute as it is called) is wholemeal rye flour, make a thick paste with water and a little oil.
desahih
Novice

Post by desahih »

we are kings of arak here in lebanon as it is our national drink...so im learning from the 60+years old masters:D
and yea i will upgrade to a bigger one
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

had some bottles of Israeli arak awhile back just amazing. I got fig rakia I am not so keen on and am thinking of adding anise or aniseed for arak
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Danespirit »

+1 Dan
No it's not really a problem if the product comes off a little warm.
In fact it will improve it a bit, caused to the more voilatile elements that smear through the run will evaporate from your product.
Of course it can't be hot, so putting the collectionjar in a cold waterbath will help.
I use this little trick myself, keeps the product excatly as i want it to.
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

You will quickly outgrow that still, but it is very attractive as a decorative piece. I keep an eye out for pretty things like that to further clutter my shelves.
Dan P.
Distiller

Post by Dan P. »

A friend brings arak back from Jordan whenever he goes back to visit his folks. It's really a beautiful drink.

How do they drink it in Lebanon?

Personally I'm of the school that believes that adding water is pure barbarity. Ice cubes... maybe.

The French barrel age their arak (aka Pastis), or at least say they do. Let's say it's brown, anyway, and is often very good.
Dan P.
Distiller

Post by Dan P. »

I've been meaning to try this recipe for a long time, I hear it's very good. From another forum;

Apsynt's pastis/arak

2.5L of neutral at about 45%
2 fistfuls of star anise (or anise seed)
1 stick cinnamon
3 cracked cardamom pods
pinch of white and black pepper
2 sprigs of fresh fennel
half a nutmeg, cracked
4 cloves
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

One thing Dan star anise and anise (aniseed) are a completely different plant, aniseed would more likely give a more traditional flavour I would think
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Dan P.
Distiller

Post by Dan P. »

thecroweater wrote:One thing Dan star anise and anise (aniseed) are a completely different plant, aniseed would more likely give a more traditional flavour I would think
Sure. In the thread that that recipe is from it's mentioned that the the plants are totally different, but the relevant compound anethole is the same in both plants.
I'm sure there are differences, but the bottom line is to use what is available to you at the right price. Anise seed is most likely more authentic.
raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by raketemensch »

desahih wrote:danespirit my still is new copper all shined...smaller than this..i use floor paste too.
Is floor paste like floor pie?
floorpie.jpg
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Looks like a lintel to me.
And can absolutely add a percentage point or two to the purity of the aggregate amount of spirit collected.

You will need to do multiple runs to make vodka. Results may vary depending on your point of view.
Attachments
lintel.jpg
lintel.jpg (15.38 KiB) Viewed 4342 times
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Dan P.
Distiller

Post by Dan P. »

A lentille is a little different, more like a dephlegmator, in that what is in reflux drops back down into the boiler. It's a fairly primitive improvement on the straight pot still. The alqitara on the other hand is a very ancient form of still, akin to what alchemists used, it collects everything.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Dan P. wrote:A lentille is a little different, more like a dephlegmator, in that what is in reflux drops back down into the boiler. It's a fairly primitive improvement on the straight pot still. The alqitara on the other hand is a very ancient form of still, akin to what alchemists used, it collects everything.

Ah, so that is only the product condenser then? I see now.
Dan P.
Distiller

Post by Dan P. »

Yes, on an alqitara the bucket on top condenses everything that reaches it, and everything that gets condensed goes ito the product.
A schematic of sorts can be seen here;

http://www.villadepera.com/arquitectura ... uitara.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Thanks for the link.
I've seen this system before and forgotten about it.

I wonder does the OP system have a coil?
Dan P.
Distiller

Post by Dan P. »

LWTCS wrote:Thanks for the link.

A coil for reflux or a worm?

Interesting in that link it says they put a mat made of some kind of special grass on the floor of the boiler to prevent scorching.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Coil for PC was wondering.
desahih
Novice

Post by desahih »

i tried my still today(alqitara)...the condenser water got over 40 degrees celcius..any suggestions?other than putting colder water and increasing the flow
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Dan P. wrote:
LWTCS wrote:Thanks for the link.

A coil for reflux or a worm?

Interesting in that link it says they put a mat made of some kind of special grass on the floor of the boiler to prevent scorching.
I have never tried this but a mod on another forum suggested filling the bottom with hay to prevent scorching, this always scared me a bit and that is why I am working on a screen design for my electric heating element.
Dan P.
Distiller

Post by Dan P. »

desahih wrote:i tried my still today(alqitara)...the condenser water got over 40 degrees celcius..any suggestions?other than putting colder water and increasing the flow
Ice cubes?
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

40 degrees is nothing. barely over body temp... if you are peaking 65- 70, i'd start to think about more cooling.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
desahih
Novice

Post by desahih »

alright it's been a while I didn't reply sorry guys,
Arak is tradionally drinked with water say we mix each cup of end product arak with 1-2 cups of cold water before drinking,that will make it white,and of course one ice cube only per drink,it is drank in shots.
now I got a fractionating still and im doing some birdwatchers mashes so thanks all for your support
papijohn
Novice

Post by papijohn »

Dan P. wrote:I've been meaning to try this recipe for a long time, I hear it's very good. From another forum;

Apsynt's pastis/arak

2.5L of neutral at about 45%
2 fistfuls of star anise (or anise seed)
1 stick cinnamon
3 cracked cardamom pods
pinch of white and black pepper
2 sprigs of fresh fennel
half a nutmeg, cracked
4 cloves

Dan did you ever make this arak and how did it come out?