Cough medicine Recipe

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

hawgwrench
Site Donor
Site Donor

Cough medicine Recipe

Post by hawgwrench »

Few years back I was experimenting with flavorings in some of the higher powered jars I had just run. Tried syrups....juices...fruits, both fresh an dried. The dried fruit was a bullseye! Tried apples and peaches first....man that stuff rocked! Tore out to the supermarket and grabbed every variety of dried fruit they had. Mango, cranberry and plums were next up. Yep, I said plum.....dried plums. Prunes. I made prune liquor. I'll be blamin this on the fog from tasting, but that was just a damn rectal-cranial inversion :oops: . It actually wasn't bad at all. Hands down the best cough syrup that ever existed...have a few swallows of Hawgs famous prune liquor and I'll DARE ya to cough. No idea why this popped in my head after all this time, and aint sure if it belongs here or the "what not to do" thread....but makes for a chuckle. At least it does for them than didn't sample it 8) .
Patience....the early bird get's the worm, but the second rat get's the cheese.
FreeMountainHermit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Cough medicine Recipe

Post by FreeMountainHermit »

Tells us more about the dried fruits. Sounds to be right up my alley with a good neutral. How long did you let soak, cut up, boiled first,........?

FMH
Blah, blah, blah,........
ga flatwoods
Master of Distillation

Post by ga flatwoods »

I made wine once from loquats. Tasted just like prune wine but was High octane! I couldn't drink it and was going to throw it out. Johnnie had been helping me with yard work all day and was there when I was going to throw it out. "Man, don't never throw any out till I get to taste it! Damn! Tastes like prune juice like you said but its got the medicine in it! Can I have it?" I gave it to him. It was two weeks before I saw Johnnie again and couldn't wait to ask him about the wine. Knowing his family it did not last long. He said they drank all of it that night. Said the first quart was rough to swallow but after that it wasn't bad! Said it had all the cuz's fighting each other and the police ended up coming out! When asked why they were fighting he couldn't give a reason other than it was in the drink!
Never gave Johnnie that much at one time again!
Never make loquat brandy, unless you like fighting high test prune juice!
Ga Flatwoods
The hardest item to add to a bottle of shine is patience!
I am still kicking.
Ga Flatwoods
hawgwrench
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by hawgwrench »

Stick with apples, peaches an cranberries. I might add that the apples an peaches were sourced via trees on the homeplace, winesaps and Georgia belle's if I remember. Came up pulling and drying the things till my fingers bled. Apples are super easy, leave em for a week an sample after for a spell...till it suits your taste. Peaches will mess ya up though, give it few days an taste as it gets intense in a HURRY. The girls love that stuff....no mix, just pour over ice an watch the show. Same for cranberries, few days. If you like cranberry juice and vodka you'll love it. Use a course chop, just enough to break it up...otherwise its tough to control the infusion. Mango tasted like toejam, skip it. Covered the plum thing. Don't be adding sugar as it takes on a Kool-Aid taste. If it aint intense enough let it sit longer. Had I have known then what I know I woulda hit the apple and peach with some oak as well. Play with small jars till it suits you, then go bigger volume. Just be mindfull that the bigger the lot the longer it takes to mature.
FreeMountainHermit
Site Donor
Site Donor

hawgwrench, have you tried canned peaches ??
hawgwrench
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by hawgwrench »

I gave it a half-a$$ed try with canned stuff. Cowpen to say the least. Not sure what it is about drying an re-hydrating, but it seems to be way more intense. Tried fresh fruits as well...similar...not nearly the same intensity. Flatwoods.....I need to take you snipe huntin man :lol. Loquats....damn things are on the same level as rutabagas an maypops....hog feed. I played with the odd ferments for a spell....made milk wine once. Lactaid will make work off just fine....but I gotta say it may just be a little to down home for me. Kudos to them that make work day by day with the dairy stuff....by the by for the admins...we need a puking smilie icon. Its the ultimate alcoholic rejection :lolno:
FreeMountainHermit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Thanks hawgwrench, I've been reading quite a bit about soaking dried fruits and your thoughts mirror what others have said.Guess I needed a confirmation from a member here @ HD.

FMH.
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

When you dehydrate you concentrate the flavor. That's why it's so intense. I have a hydrator and fruit does get intense!
If you wear underwear then it's a dress!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=62150 How I run a small still
FreeMountainHermit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Care to share which dehydrator you have, Bigbob ???
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

We used to scour the coal camp garbage bins the day after government commodities were issued during layoffs . Everybody threw out the issue dried prunes . Us kids gathered them and made a very rough wine . It would knock your socks in the dirt and leave you with one hell of a headache . You could also shit through the eye of a needle at 20' for a couple of days if your aim was good . Geese had nothing on us when we had been in the 'Pruno'.
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

FreeMountainHermit wrote:Care to share which dehydrator you have, Bigbob ???
Have a Excaliber 5 tray. Has the fan in the back instead of the bottom so air travels evenly. Makes great jerky and dried fruit, but as most appliances, has been sitting unused for awhile. Also works great to dry out wet cellphones!
If you wear underwear then it's a dress!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=62150 How I run a small still
FreeMountainHermit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Thanks Bob, the name rings a bell. Pretty good reviews IIRC.

FMH.
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

I just saw this on Twitter and wasn't sure where to put it?
Anyone got any ideas on how to distill THIS one?
"Skillfully combined with a number of other ingredients"
:mrgreen:
cough syrup.jpg
https://twitter.com/AwardsDarwin/status ... 439i551488
Last edited by TDick on Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Bamaberry wrote:I just saw this on Twitter and wasn't sure where to put it?
Anyone got any ideas on how to distill THIS one?
May require stilling residency in Colorado or Amsterdam.
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

Chloroform too! Lol. That bottle just simply made you knock out and not give a @%&#! Lol.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
kimbodious
Distiller

Post by kimbodious »

I just tried a maceration of half a cup of chopped dried prunes in 1.2 litres neutral spirit (for 22 hours) - the result is sensational! Thanks for the tip hawgwrench :thumbup:
--
50L Beer keg boiler, 2200W element
Modular 2" Pot Still
opinions are free and everybody has them, experience costs you time
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

kimbodious wrote:I just tried a maceration of half a cup of chopped dried prunes in 1.2 litres neutral spirit (for 22 hours) - the result is sensational! Thanks for the tip hawgwrench :thumbup:
As a laxative or cough syrup? Or both?

Geoff

P. S. My doctor recommended prune juice to 'keep me regular' but I buy dried prunes with the stones in, that is a lot cheaper. G.
The Baker
kimbodious
Distiller

Post by kimbodious »

I think after drinking this you'd be too scared to cough, :ebiggrin:
--
50L Beer keg boiler, 2200W element
Modular 2" Pot Still
opinions are free and everybody has them, experience costs you time
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

kimbodious wrote:I think after drinking this you'd be too scared to cough, :ebiggrin:
I expect you are right about that .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

kimbodious wrote:I think after drinking this you'd be too scared to cough, :ebiggrin:
:lolno: