electric moonshine !!!

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

Ronin frog
Novice

electric moonshine !!!

Post by Ronin frog »

this is my first electric hot water heater element install still build.
I am currently doing a cleanout run and I am just tickled pink on how fast this thing runs it's got a 2000 W 120volt Electric heating element. are used to 1 inch female adapter copper and installed it in the side of my stainless steel boiler it was a tough Soldering Job . I had a couple leaks I sanded refluxed re-soldered but still has some leaks I want to head and stuck some flower paste on it and stop them leaks and the clean out run is heating up and justjust coming up to the condenser.
I wish I had used electric element last year this is so much faster than propane.
I'm using a 7 1/2 gallon pot is a boiler and it heated up to a trickle at the condenser and in one hour and 20 minutes that's fast over here anyway I am really happy and anybody else using propane you might want to look into that electric heating Element
thanks for your time friend-O
Copper Thumper
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: electric moonshine !!!

Post by Copper Thumper »

Congrats!

I'm looking into trying one out on my smaller still...got any pics?
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

Congratulations on going electric! I would look at resoldering that element connection. You don't want wash leaking out onto your electrical connections.
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

You will like the electric heat :thumbup:
Try a more aggressive flux for soldering copper to SS.
I forgot what works best, maybe someone will post a link for you.
Snackson
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Snackson »

Harris Stay Clean liquid flux. https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/silversolder.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
As S-Cack said, get it soldered right. Paste will work for vapor path but never know with liquid.
Ronin frog
Novice

Post by Ronin frog »

I will be posting some photos as soon as I get her dialed in cleaned and polished.
as of last night I got a few leaks(stopped with some flour paste)and I don't wanna go that route,I want a clean running rig I Don't want "no stinking paste".and I feel as if my condensor isn't big enough.)
so I put down some 25pound sack of sugar and a few chewable kids vitamin tablets and some yeasty yeasty,I doubled up on the yeast to speed things up,what I ment to say is I'm makeing more cleanouts .
I've ran 3 cleanouts so far.and I'm running low on sacrificial wash to run.so that'll take a few days and the fact that I'll have to run more than usual due to a much more aggressive flux being used on me soldering :
even after 3cleanout.2wash and 1 dilute viniger. and it ran at a much higher temp before I got flow of condensate at the condenser ,of the vinegar run that is.i just kept slapping a bit of paste flour on any aggravation that "sprang up".
and like I said I can't have that. and I'm gonna have to braise up a larger Liebig.you know what they say about guys with big condensers.sorry I digress,even after 3 cleanouts it's still scary!cloudy.
I'm looking at at least 4 maybe 5 cleanouts after I touch up soldering.
and I might add the first 6 runs or so after she's clean will still only be used for "topical application"only. I also make parfume and colognes.