my first keg still, need your input

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

coalminer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: my first keg still, need your input

Post by coalminer »

I am sitting here 6 hrs into a spirit run. (20 pints 160p so far) I run my spirit runs real slow. So just thumbing through the threads. I am glad I took butch's advice on the 16g thumper. Like he stated, you can dump mash in the thumper also and double your stripping run, works great. Also noticed on this run, it is cooler outside and I bought some silver insulation at Ace hardware and decided to insulate everything. I started with the lyin arm and thumper and so forth. It made an immediate difference. I had to turn the heat back and it seems to run smoother with not as much fluctuation. Insulation is called reflectix, in case anybody is looking. Wraps around the kegs real good. It is about $15us. Thanks again for all of the help guys!
KISS = Keep It Simple Stupid!
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

Dangit I been here 4 yrs and ain't met none of the boys. You just stroll in and start hanging out. Geography sucks lol just kidding man, I've got the same kegs for boiler and thumper and love it, listen to the fill/drain advice, I wish I had. Your in good hands the boys will set ya straight!
Swedish Pride wrote:
get a brix reading on said ball bearings and then you can find out how much fermentables are in there
coalminer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by coalminer »

Antler, I got real lucky. Couple real good guys in my area. I owe them a bunch!..... What part of the world are you in Antler?
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Coalminer works too many hours , like Spiritrundave , to spend much time here . They both taken this place to heart and are making a good drop . My help has been minimal .
I gave them water and they tooken root .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
coalminer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by coalminer »

Hey Butch, Sorry I did not see you on earlier I would have said hi.(I need to pay more attention) It is now 2am and I am on 34 pints and only dropped to 140p. Maybe I will give you a call tomorrow evening.
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

coalminer wrote:Antler, I got real lucky. Couple real good guys in my area. I owe them a bunch!..... What part of the world are you in Antler?
I'm up in Canada, far faaar east lol.
Swedish Pride wrote:
get a brix reading on said ball bearings and then you can find out how much fermentables are in there