First spirit run (UJSSM)

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

First spirit run (UJSSM)

Post by Twisted Brick »

Thought I would report that I made it through my first ever spirit run, but the process opened up a raft of questions.

Background: I originally stripped a total of four 8gal washes ending up with 6.5 gals of low wines. I believe souring the first generation was effective, as the second generation had a rich, sweet corn flavor, just as advertised on later gens. Souring was so easy, I would recommend it to all first-timers. I followed the UJ recipe to the letter, scaling it to 8gals, using feed store cracked corn, sugar and Red Star Active Dry yeast. I also charted/sampled each hard and fast strip to familiarize myself with the spectrum of flavors produced, and confess I stole a few ounces of center-cut hearts along the way to tide me over.

So after charging my keg with 36% low-wines, I knocked out the run in 4.5hrs including a long warmup. I wasn't sure if such a slow warmup was necessary, but hoped doing so would allow the alcohol fractions within the boiler to separate prior to first drips. Equipped with brand new 1pt jars, my plan was to collect heads as slowly as possible to hopefully not drag hearts with them, and to speed up a bit once I knew I was into hearts. My biggest mistake was that I shut down at roughly 60%ABV, most likely leaving a fair amount of good tails/feints in the boiler. I wouldn't have minded running down to 40% but I had to get some honey-do items done for SWTIDTM (she who thinks I drink too much). Oh well, not the end of the world.

Anyway, the numbers are in the chart. Some interesting observations from the journey:

1) I had expected the stream from the parrot to be more consistent throughout the run, but like the stripping runs, there must be some dynamic agitation within the boiler that causes output to surge intermittently. (The keg and still head were insulated)
2) After airing the jars out with coffee filters for almost two days, I sat down to make my first ever cuts. On a whim, I re-measured the ABV of about half the jars, which deviated even from the temp-corrected original ABV's. I was then convinced to make my cuts strictly on sense of smell and taste, making notes on each jar tested, after taking a demitasse spoonful (or two) of spirit and equal amount of water.
3) I thought it very interesting how strong the taste of butter in certain portions of the hearts (and some feints) came over.
4) After testing was over, it was noticeable that my tongue had become numb and desensitized, even though I drank a gulp of water between each sample. Unfortunately, each sample I tested wasn't large enough to spit. I certainly did not expect that I really like the taste of higher proof spirits given my experience is predominantly 40-47%. I'm guessing I'm not alone on this.
5) I was pleasantly surprised to discover a 'hidden' layer of deeper tails that I liked and ended up including with the rest.

I ended up bottling 5l of spirit after diluting from 75% down to 62%ABV. I will be toasting oak sticks in my wood-fired oven day after tomorrow once my saturday pizza session is over (850F) and the oven has dropped to 350-400F.

I am hellbent on becoming expert on making cuts, and fully recognize that this comes only with experience. (Boy am I jealous of you experienced guys). Any advice on what to expect along the way would be appreciated.

Next week I am tackling a rye-forward AG bourbon using no enzymes. Thanks to all here who have shared what you know and made this hobby become effing addicting for me.

TB
Attachments
UJSSM Spirit Run .jpg
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
NcHooch
retired

Re: First spirit run (UJSSM)

Post by NcHooch »

Hope you saved that backset ....you could just fire it up again at a later date. (keep that in mind for the future)
NChooch
Practice safe distillin and keep your hobby under your hat.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

NcHooch wrote:Hope you saved that backset ....you could just fire it up again at a later date. (keep that in mind for the future)
You know, HDNB.... I did save it, although its just sitting in a sealed up keg after I removed 2 cooled gallons to the fridge (for my AG bourbon).

Think the keg stuff will still be okay?
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

Careful sealing a hot keg, it can implode as it cools if you truly seal it!
But yes, you can still run those tails out. Take a peak and make sure it hasnt gotten too infected, not because it would be bad, but depending how you heat you could scorch a thick pellicule if one has formed.
I have left backset in a lightly sealed boiler (rags stuffed in the neck) and didnt get back to it until it was so chunky and funky I had to rig up an improvised drill powered blender just to pour it out!
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

Twisted Brick wrote: 1) I had expected the stream from the parrot to be more consistent throughout the run, but like the stripping runs, there must be some dynamic agitation within the boiler that causes output to surge intermittently.
This is most likely not due to some sort of "dynamic agitation" in the boiler. It is often caused by a parrot connected directly to the condenser without a vent. A Tee and and an upturned air vent between condenser and parrot is the typical diy fix. I have seen surging on a freestanding parrot. In that case it was from marginally too small tubing (1/4" maybe, don't remember) upsizing the down pipe fixed the surging. What's your parrot dimensions/connections/venting?
(The keg and still head were insulated)
No need to insulate the still head on a pot still, and good arguments against it. Likewise with the keg, insulating the sides is good but I would not be insulating the top. I have had fully insulated pot setups but now think everywhere above the wash level passive reflux is good as it seems to cause less smearing.

But your results look fine. Cheers to a good run.
Since you like numbers, a quick play with the calculator says when you quit you had 15.28L @ 14.5% left in the boiler. You could have gotten roughly another 5L of 40% or 6L of 35% depending how deep you went. If you finish stripping the tails now without adding back the reserved 2 gallons, you'll only get about 2.5L of 35%. Personally, I'd add the reserved backset to the boiler and finish stripping. Those tails are worth adding with your heads to a future spirit run. BUT I wouldn't add them to your fine AG bourbon, because I'm a bit of a snob like that. So if you don't see yourself doing anymore sugar runs, it's not the worlds biggest loss.

How does the final blend taste white? I'd have a hard time oaking all that UJ, especially if I knew I was about to have a good bourbon on oak. What are you going to drink while the bourbon ages? By all accounts you should have a delicious corn sugar shine, which I think "shines" enjoyed with loved ones just as it is.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

zapata wrote:Careful sealing a hot keg, it can implode as it cools if you truly seal it!
This never occurred to me. Luckily, I let it cool, and the next morning added a 3" tri-clamp cap to my reducer and it's solidly sealed. No rags for me! :lolno:
No need to insulate the still head on a pot still, and good arguments against it. Likewise with the keg, insulating the sides is good but I would not be insulating the top. I have had fully insulated pot setups but now think everywhere above the wash level passive reflux is good as it seems to cause less smearing.
Duh. Makes sense. Good case for ample headroom in the boiler.
What's your parrot dimensions/connections/venting?
Pretty typical dimensions, I think: 1/2" ID collection tube, 1" hydrometer tube, 3/8" soft spout. Here's a pic. Now that you mention it, it has to be the parrot. The distillate tumbles out of the condenser steadily, directly into the parrot.
BUT I wouldn't add them to your fine AG bourbon, because I'm a bit of a snob like that
This tells me there will be some residual sugar bite introduced by the backset, which I really don't want. I see no no reason I couldn't just use the backset from the first AG strip in the second ferment.
How does the final blend taste white? I'd have a hard time oaking all that UJ, especially if I knew I was about to have a good bourbon on oak. What are you going to drink while the bourbon ages? By all accounts you should have a delicious corn sugar shine, which I think "shines" enjoyed with loved ones just as it is.
The nose is rich corn, sweet. Same on the palate, pleasing and no comparison to any commercial moonshine I ever tasted. I am surprised at how clean and polished it tastes, and every time I steal a sip I get a big grin. Agreed, it is so yummy it makes sense to keep it white for something to drink. Being my first time, I think I hit a home run and can't wait for the next project.

Thanks for the insight.
Attachments
First Parrot.jpg

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

That parrot looks good. I don't see any problems with it. I wouldn't worry about it.
Again, good job and enjoy that whiskey :)