Not quite my first

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

trebor66n2
Novice

Not quite my first

Post by trebor66n2 »

8) Not quite my first, I'm on second generation of ujssm. I.dont have a damn clue what I'm doing yet. Very clumsy getting started. Broke my hydrometer on the first run so I didn't have it the start of my second run. Have it now.
I have a 3 gallon copper traditional still with self made thumper and worm. Doing my second stripping run now.
I work 14 hour days and 5 hours Saturday. Read and read and read, still don't have a clue. Haha. My first batch I stopped at 40 %=And colleted half a gallon off of 3 gallons. Don't think this run will produce as much.
I had no idea how much effort goes into this hobby, like giving up a little sleep to do it.
Great forum, lots of information. Cheers .
Shine0n
Distiller

Re: Not quite my first

Post by Shine0n »

It will come with experience, lol

Some are better off reading first and some do better with hands on experience, I hope you are the latter one!

Keep learning by reading and keep safe.

If you are doing stripping runs I suggest to go low and dirty... like 15-20%
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

I was frightened of this hobby. Boil corn, don't boil corn, throw boiling water on it. Cycling hot plate? Remove thermostat. On & on. I thought this was gonna be simple!
RELAX.
Lay your recipe out in posty note steps if you have to and follow them step by step like I do.
We have to realize failure is on us. These recipes have been proven to work. Am I gonna mess them up?! NO!
Some recipes I use to fret over I can now do in my sleep. Just a matter of 1 step at a time.

(Just a firm suggestion from somebody who's probably too new to even be posting advice.)
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Firm advice there fizzix, one step at the time, one cut at the time, learn blending, one sip at the time!!!

Simplicity is key,
Shine0n
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

Best advice I ever got was to forget trying to make your favorite commercial drink, for now. Got to T&T and pick something similar, if you like whiskey do sweet feed or ujsm. Like rum try Buccaneer Bob's or pugirum. There's so much to learn at first, eliminating as many variables as possible will help you learn alot faster!
Swedish Pride wrote:
get a brix reading on said ball bearings and then you can find out how much fermentables are in there