My First Attempts With Grains

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

jimsgins
Novice

My First Attempts With Grains

Post by jimsgins »

Having played with sugar wash and macerations quite a bit the last couple of years (and a batch of rum), I've decided to try and move into the world of grain using BIAB.

Bought a big sack of animal feed maize boiled 3.5kg of it in a bag in a 25L pot, cooled it, mashed in 1.5kg of malt a little below 70*c, wrapped it and left it to do its thing.

The yeild wasn't terrible but wasnt as good as I'd initially hoped (I cant remember the exact SG) but I'm wondering for future runs - how bad would it be to add a bit of sugar at the end to boost the yeild? Does the sugar make a noticeable difference to the finished flavour profile? Ideally I would like to be doing AG and hope that with more experience I'll be able to work out target SGs and hit them, but ultimately I'm most concerned with how the finished product tastes and dont mind cheating a little on the way if the taste isnt compromised.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Re: My First Attempts With Grains

Post by StillerBoy »

If you were to take the time to read the following, all your questions will be answered..

Booner's Corn is very good to start with.. http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 14&t=51458

And this will further your knowledge on corn mashing.. https://www.google.ca/search?rls=en-us& ... dtXussNtT4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
zapata
Distiller

Re: My First Attempts With Grains

Post by zapata »

jimsgins wrote: I'm wondering for future runs - how bad would it be to add a bit of sugar at the end to boost the yeild? Does the sugar make a noticeable difference to the finished flavour profile?
Yes you can add sugar. Yes the taste is different. The question then becomes how different?

Is it wetter underwater if you're there when it rains?
Is it shorter to New York, than it is by plane?
Is it hotter down south than it is in the Summer?