Stripping runs...

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

zed255
Distiller

Stripping runs...

Post by zed255 »

A while back I decided to step up my fermentation volume. The intent was to begin to 'bank up' some drinking stock and to produce some added volume for flavouring experiments. With that in mind I tried for the first time to use my reflux rig in 'pot still mode' to strip out three boiler charges in preparation for a refluxed spirit run. Was an interesting experience though somewhat anticlimactic.

I set up my rig same as usual except that I removed the packing from the column. I wanted to clean and inspect the packing anyhow, so the situation was most conducive to trying it out.

Each 50L boiler charge came to a boil in about 50 minutes at 6000W and took just over 2hr to get down to 10% ABV output. I ran at 3750W (could have tried it at 6000W but was unsure) with my take-off valve wide open. I was quite surprised at the flow rate of distillate, though I suppose I should not have been. The low wines were somewhat cloudy, but that cloudiness seemed to set in only once getting below about 15% ABV. I think next time I will stop at the 15% mark to leave some of the rankest tails behind rather than being as greedy in trying to drag out everything. My low wines ended up being just below 40% ABV overall.

I added a little volume of water to make sure my ABV was surely below the recommended 40% and give a little more finished volume in the boiler to guarantee my elements stayed well submerged, though I'm sure with my set-up that wasn't a real concern.

One thought on this I'd like an opinion on. Would there be any benefit in leaving the column packed to concentrate and take off the fores individually using reflux then just open the valve for the balance of the stripping run? I expect the strip run would progress somewhat slower but would there be any benefit from the small amount of passive reflux in the packing? Also having the option to return to reflux to try and leave some tails behind or am I treading on defeating the purpose here?

The math and the experience suggest that stripping larger volumes is a time and energy saver, as is often mentioned here among the more experienced distillers. I may just be a convert from doing one-and-done distillations. I think next time I will shoot for four boiler charges.

My spirit run is airing at the moment, so we will have to see how the overall quality works out, but initial spot checks during the spirit run suggest it went well.
----------
Zed

When the Student is ready, the Master will appear.
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Stripping runs...

Post by Expat »

I would leave the packing in for the stripping run for fores and any extra reflux you get during the stripping. Draw off the appropriate amount of Fores, then crank the power to max and run with the takeoff wide open until it runs dry. Looks like your condenser should be up to the wattage, so no problems.

Run as fast as possible, and save your patience for the spirit runs.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by NZChris »

If the packing is restrictive, leave it out for the strip so that you can run hard and fast. Running slow until you remove the foreshot should be good enough.
zed255
Distiller

Post by zed255 »

What has impressed me most about the double run protocol is how much more 'keeper' product there is, proportionately speaking, and the savings in time to say the least.

Foreshots and heads, taken slowly, were very well compressed. I was expecting about triple the amount compared to a one-and-done given I was using three stripped washes. What I ended up with was only about double the foreshots, and that being a very generous cut for forshots, plus only maybe and extra 50% of heads. Once out of the heads I was able to collect very clean 94% ABV at a peak rate of 2L/hour, gradually reducing the take-off through the run to ensure quality stayed high. Watching product come off that fast was very satisfying!

I always cut my runs as soon as the collection rate reaches a point where it is too slow to be worth while and the temperature begins to creep. I hate tails and when doing neutral I basically just finish collecting the jar where I have to start fighting to maintain quality.

On the side of time, I would have spent about 36 hours on three one-and-done runs with more product lost to fores and heads cuts. Doing hot and fast strips allowed me to collect more good product with only about 24 hours invested. I haven't calculated resource consumption yet but I suspect some savings in electricity and water too.

Overall, the strip and spirit run protocol is very much worthwhile. New guys like me should resist the temptation for instant gratification of the one-and-done for the efficiencies and improvements afforded by the strip-and spirit protocol.
----------
Zed

When the Student is ready, the Master will appear.
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

zed255 wrote:Overall, the strip and spirit run protocol is very much worthwhile. New guys like me should resist the temptation for instant gratification of the one-and-done for the efficiencies and improvements afforded by the strip-and spirit protocol.
Yep...it has been said before. But, you just don’t know until you’ve tried it. Another “strip + spirit run” fan here.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

i think one and done on my plater gives much cleaner spirit that strip + spirit on my pot.
may just be me though
Don't be a dick
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Swedish Pride wrote:i think one and done on my plater gives much cleaner spirit that strip + spirit on my pot....may just be me tho...
This makes a lot of sense if you’ve got a flute. Sometimes I wish I had one.

But my potstill head will get me to whiskey just fine. But, indeed it takes 2 passes through to make it right. When running a neutral, likewise I strip in the potstill and finish with the LM/VM reflux column.

Bottomline....it’s about the tools you use...and how you use them. Experience is the best teacher here.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Swedish Pride wrote:i think one and done on my plater gives much cleaner spirit that strip + spirit on my pot.
may just be me though
Now put your big boy pants on and try doing several strips then the spirit run with your plater.
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

NZChris wrote:
Swedish Pride wrote:i think one and done on my plater gives much cleaner spirit that strip + spirit on my pot.
may just be me though
Now put your big boy pants on and try doing several strips then the spirit run with your plater.
that sound like no fun at all, the reason i made a plater was to be able to do one and done, easier cleaner cuts was just a happy side effect.
Don't be a dick