M F Scotch all grain.

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

M F Scotch all grain.

Postby RaymieDubbs » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:28 pm

Ran my first scotch AG mash last night. I use two pots, 2.5 gallons in each to heat to strike temp. I went to just over 160F. I use a 10 gallon rubbermaid drink cooler and brew in a bag method. After dumping the strike water and adding the grain my temps dropped to 145F lower than I had hoped so I heated my extra gallon of sparge water to around 165F and dumped it straight in instead of waiting till the end to bring my temps back up. Hindsight, I will warm up my cooler next time before adding the strike water. It was room temp and I'm pretty sure that's what dropped my temp so fast. I closed the lid and let sit for two hours, stirring the grain and agitating bag, kind of like a giant tea bag every 20 minutes. I finished up with exactly 5 gallons of wort clocking in at 1.060 OG. Racked into a no chill cube and I will pitch whiskey yeast tonight. I was surprised that 6 gallons of water only got me 5 gallons of wort, even after letting the bag drain as well as squeezing it out.

Condensed version:
5lbs Peated malt
7lbs Maris Otter
5 Gallons strike water shooting for around 155F after grain addition
1 Gallon sparge water @ 160 used to flood sparge at the end
Ended with 5 gallons @ 1.060 OG
Racked into no chill cube for later fermentation.
RaymieDubbs
Novice

Re: M F Scotch all grain.

Postby Antler24 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:36 pm

Sounds like you did good! Let us know how it turns out, not a scotch fan, but planning to make some eventually for friends.
Swedish Pride wrote:
get a brix reading on said ball bearings and then you can find out how much fermentables are in there
Antler24
Trainee

Postby RaymieDubbs » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:20 pm

Antler24 wrote:Sounds like you did good! Let us know how it turns out, not a scotch fan, but planning to make some eventually for friends.

It actually turned out terrible. I just dumped it last night haha. So I think I wen't wrong in two areas. One was I bought bulk grain from my local home brew store. The clerk even said something about not many people buying the peated malt so who knows how old it was. I also asked him for "Whiskey yeast" and he handed me ferm fast whiskey yeast. I should have just ordered fresh malt and used the standard bread yeast, tried and true. It was a bummer because I could tell a decent scotch was in there but there were just some terrible off flavors.
RaymieDubbs
Novice

Postby BayouShine » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:25 pm

Why did you dump it?

I made a scotch last year that wasn't too far off from the recipe you used. It definitely needs TIME. It's been over a year now and it's just now starting to come around.
BayouShine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby Antler24 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:38 pm

Yeah man never dump it. I was gonna dump 2 quarts once, sure glad I didn't they are great now. All else fails run it through again.
Swedish Pride wrote:
get a brix reading on said ball bearings and then you can find out how much fermentables are in there
Antler24
Trainee

Postby kiwi Bruce » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:42 pm

+ 1 BayouShine... RaymieDubbs, You could have posted a question before the tossed it. Your talking about a bad smelling and tasting white dog. It needs time on some good charred oak.
I'll just sit quietly in the corner over here, with a tall glass of something special.
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Postby RaymieDubbs » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:14 pm

Maybe I did mess up. I've done mostly sugar heads so this was new to me. There was also a gray ring in the boiler after the run, looked kind of like a krausen ring. I just didn't feel right about it. Next time I'll save it no matter what.
RaymieDubbs
Novice

Postby BayouShine » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:17 pm

That funky ring was most probably a result from the protein break when your wash came to a boil. A mess for sure, but nothing to panic over.
BayouShine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby Swedish Pride » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:04 am

RaymieDubbs wrote:..There was also a gray ring in the boiler after the run, looked kind of like a krausen ring...

you'll get that, it's the foam from the beer.
best fix for this is not to look in the boiler after the run
Don't be a dick
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby Antler24 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:58 am

Swedish Pride wrote:
RaymieDubbs wrote:..There was also a gray ring in the boiler after the run, looked kind of like a krausen ring...

you'll get that, it's the foam from the beer.
best fix for this is not to look in the boiler after the run

:lol:
Swedish Pride wrote:
Antler24
Trainee

Postby RaymieDubbs » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:55 pm

Well I'm no quitter so we will go for try number two soon. I can't promise I won't look into the boiler though.
RaymieDubbs
Novice

Return to My First .....