Gin vapour infusion on my T500

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

needmorstuff
Swill Maker

Gin vapour infusion on my T500

Post by needmorstuff »

just as a trial run I used 2.2l of 95% neutral, topped t500 boiler up to 20l so i had a good boil. Used the normal steel lid with the botanicals basket.

I calculated that I would need in the region of 60gramms of botanicals. As my missus HATES coriander I chose not to include it (yes I know it isn't going to make it taste like coriander but thought I would give it a go without)

measurements in grams
50 juniper
5 angelica root
5 liquorice
0.5 orange peel
0.5 lemon peel
1 elderflowers

it certainly smells like gin and has a light taste of gin, smells a bit "earthy" though.. I will leave it a few weeks to see if the earthiness subsides. I think going forwards I will increase the botanicals to give a bit more punch.. I also have some fresh rhubarb in the freezer ready to make some rhubarb extract for some of the gin.
License number NRU/D/15/22
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Gin vapour infusion on my T500

Post by still_stirrin »

Dat’s a lot of Angelica root and licorice. Angelica root gives a “earthy” favor, which is no doubt why it’s so big in your recipe. And yet, corriander is a key flavor (lemon-like taste) in gins behind juniper. So, omitting it will leave you off the mark without doubt.

And I think of licorice as a flavor of Ouzo, where the anise is the key flavor descriptor. I don’t associate that flavor with (my) gins.

But you certainly are entitled to experiment all you want.

Cheers.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
needmorstuff
Swill Maker

Post by needmorstuff »

I think I will take it back a few notches and try some sensible recipes.. walk before running and all that. I read somewhere that angelica and liquorice should be a tenth of the juniper.. but then I also read that coriander seed was 50% of the juniper and I didnt even put nay of that in...

I'll probably run the whole lot through my reflux and strip it off flavour and start again.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I picked this up from corsair distilleries. It's a good starting point for figuring out proportions.

Recommended proportions
x = Juniper berry
x/2 = coriander
x/10 = angelica cassia, cinnamon, licorice, bitter almond, grains of paradise
x/100 = bitter & sweet orange peel, lemon peel, ginger orris root, cardamon, nutmeg, savory, chamomile
needmorstuff
Swill Maker

Post by needmorstuff »

that's inline with what I read apart from I didn't use coriander - unless my maths are failing me
needmorstuff
Swill Maker

Post by needmorstuff »

going again, corriander is in.. angelica reduced.. peels and elderflowers are up.. I have also made a syrup out of a pound of rhubarb that I will add to 2 x litres.

50 juniper
25 corriander seeds
2 angelica root
5 liquorice
1 dried orange peel
1 dired lemon peel
2 elderflowers
kakashi
Novice

Post by kakashi »

I know a lot of people hate the taste of coriander, saying it tastes soapy to them, but you need to remember that is the root, stems and leaves of the plant. The seeds have a completely different flavour profile, and your wife might actually not dislike that.

The seeds will have essential oils and other chemicals not present in the roots, stems and leave. Try dry toasting some seeds in a pan for two minutes and see if she likes the smells from that.
needmorstuff
Swill Maker

Post by needmorstuff »

we did include it in the end