Adventure in Newbiedom, aka my first batch

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

Cottensound
Novice

Adventure in Newbiedom, aka my first batch

Post by Cottensound »

So I've been reading your great info for a bit, and never being one to take the easy route I dove in head first and held my own dang beer....

“Oh No!” Single Malt Rye Whiskey

(First Attempt so this may need to be tweaked)
15 lbs of German Weyermann Rye
Fermfast Whiskey Yeast1 (Yeast, glucoamylase enzyme)
1/4 lb of rice hulls

6 gal of water
Strike Temp of 140
Protein Rest for 20 minutes at 125
Heat to 150 and mash 60 minutes

sparged up to 7 gal. (Or two good rinses)

Cool to 89 to pitch yeast
keep room at 70-892 according to the yeast packet

Notes for (1-17-18)

First strike temp was accidentally 145, only drooped to 141 when I added grains.
Way too many grain probably. May not do a ferment on the grains...no room for foaming. Next time I'll stay with a 13 pound grain bill.
I sparged with two liters of 160 water. Seems to be a possible stuck so I decided to pull off about 2/3 of the grains, left to drain while I brought mash to a boil to pasteurize, because at this point I'm Also concerned about contamination. Will drop grain tower back into RoboBrew as soon as it hits 212 to pasteurize grains then use a wort chiller to drop back down to 89 asap. Pitched yeast in 89 water (1.5 cups) to let it temp up before pitching after chilling the mash.

Racked mash off of grains this morning (Monday January 22) still thick with yeast only made 4.5 gal so I probably am going to end up with 4 gal of clear mash if I'm lucky. I'm just gonna leave it in the fermenting bucket till Saturday then try and rack it off.
Current gravity reading = 1.000 or 0 alcohol.... :(
I'm gonna add a ¼ cup of bread yeast and try to rescue it. Since its off the grains I'll just leave it till it clears, still very thick with yeast just not working.
May have had a stuck mash when fixing grains.

Okay, so I'm really rusty! LOL the hydrometer didn't read no alcohol it read no sugar left. This little lightbulb went off after I did the taste test and yes it tasted like a really good dry wine.... So as stated above I racked it off the grains and ordered a packet of super Kleer however I decided, because of time, that I would risk distilling with it cloudy turns out that it had almost completely settled by Saturday, Jan 27, and though it was cloudy there was a good yeast bed to rack off of.

Decided to rename by recipe Oh No! Single malt rye whiskey. I'll have to save a bottle for several years for a special occasion because I'll probably NEVER do it like this again....

But first to run my first distillation. I'm planning on going with a single run in my pot still. I'm looking for flavors rather than pure alcohol but if I mess up, “Oh No!” and I'll try again.

had another Oh No! My brewer kept over heating and shutting off so it took me more time than I wanted to heat up. My temperature at the thermometer is all over the map so I'm not sure I can trust it. I'm going to keep heating/cooling till I get a number of jars and then use the hydrometer/smell test to find my heads and hearts. (FYI by the still thermometer I hit my hearts in the first ½ pint after 150ml foreshot. I also can't now seem to get my Robobrew over 98c even cycling on both burners.
Robobrew did good as long as I kept it 1 degree more than it needed. LOL finished at 102c burner set to 103c
found some burnt sugar on the bottom of the pot so I decided to run a spirit run. It was 8.5 pints after the first run, ran to 208f and the last tail was oily and tasted like wet socks.

Spirit run, Robobrew actually worked again, ended with .8 L of 72% avb. And pretty damn tasty for going the long way around. Oh I proofed it down to 55% put on some wood chips and away we go. After, a few weeks I'll proof it down further to 40%.

BTW, if you're still reading that is....do the feints flavor the next batch significantly? I'm planning a much simpler run of some rum or possibly a brandy and I would keep the feints but not if they're gonna mess with my next batch.
Pappy,

I'm the grandad most likely to say, "hold my juice box and watch this...."
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Adventure in Newbiedom, aka my first batch

Post by fizzix »

I can help you out with the thermometer during distillation: Don't use it!
Temperature is a moving target that really isn't telling you anything except what temperature the mixture is boiling at.
You can't control it and you can't make cuts with it.

Here's some reading on feints.

And here's info on "backset" which may be what you're really asking about. And yes, backset is a key enhancement many folks use.

And here I'll bombard you with another recipe similar to what you made. For comparison only: Jimbo's Single Malt

I'm glad you're taking the plunge and holding your own beer. That's pretty much my approach. I was scared sh!tless to dive into the deep end, but did it. The help you get here at Home Distiller is priceless!
Good luck my friend!

P.S: I screamed "Oh no!" many times and survived.
Cottensound
Novice

Re: Adventure in Newbiedom, aka my first batch

Post by Cottensound »

Thanks fizzix,
finally found my answer! My grain bill was in fact based in part on Jimbo's that you list. BUT not knowing any better I tried to modify it and got off on the wrong foot. They hydrometer issue was just not brewing for the last 5 years or so and having a massive brain fart...LOL Oh well all is well that ends well, and yes I realized that my best bet was to stick with what was to be my second/spirit run and just use lots of small jars for cuts and working my way from the middle I find what I like and what tastes/smells good to determine what goes in and what goes in the feint jar.
Pappy,

I'm the grandad most likely to say, "hold my juice box and watch this...."