Ideas for Mash Tun?

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

rollmeown
Bootlegger

Ideas for Mash Tun?

Post by rollmeown »

I am ready to make the leap to All Grain recipe I've been doing sugarhead for the last 4 years it has been awesome but I am ready for a change.
So I've been reading this thread on honey bear bourbon sounds amazing and like all tried and true recipes follow to a t it will work out.
But I need a mash tun and other equipment so here's what I'm thinking. You have one of two options here.
I have to purchase a 160 quart aluminum pot for boiling water 160 quart Coleman insulated cooler put it on a stand like a tier system.
Boiling Pot on top spigot to cooler spigot 2 racking buckets. Option 2 I have a 55 gallon drum food grade.
I could use instead of the cooler and wrap with blankets. Do the same setup 3 tier stand.
Does anyone use a food grade 55 gallon drum instead of cooler? Any thoughts or ideas are welcome?
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Re: Ideas for Mash Tun?

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

Excellent recipe choice :)

Some of us use a 55 gallon barrel :ebiggrin: I won't do it any other way again.

Easy Large Barrel Mashing
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
seamusm53
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by seamusm53 »

I use both a 30 and 40 gallon food grade grey plastic trash cans for mash, wrapped in an electric blanket for insulation and to keep the yeasties happy. I also run the mash indoors to help with temperature management.
rollmeown
Bootlegger

Post by rollmeown »

Thanks for the link Shine on crazy diamond. Been reading it since you posted. Also posted a reply in your Honey Bear Bourbon thread tell me what you think.

I currently use a 32 gallon Brute trash can gray plastic to ferment in.
Aquarium heaters to regulate temps and take a break during cold winter months.
Use to ferment in the house but wife got a little upset over that.
My last ferment was in November of last year, did a UJJSM of rolled oats and cracked corn up to 6 generations due to cold weather
had to stop. Experimented with adding backset to spirit run to dilute to 30% abv on a couple generations. Did 25 gallon washes, two stripping runs and one spirit run usually produces 12 pints of 170 proof.
cede
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by cede »

Feel like a small player here, I got 15 gal kegs for water heating and boiling, and an igloo cooler for mashing ! :)
Yes, it's a pico brewery also called sugar extractor :)
rollmeown
Bootlegger

Post by rollmeown »

Now maybe I should rethink, instead of purchasing a160 qt. Pot for boiling water maybe I should use my second keg and boil water twice. Saves me $180 bucks that I could use for grain.
raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by raketemensch »

If there’s a spigot on your second keg, go for it.
rollmeown
Bootlegger

Post by rollmeown »

Gonna rig up a PVC water pipe to mount so I can hook up garden hose and valve to fill keg up.
rollmeown
Bootlegger

Post by rollmeown »

No on spigot. But will have my Fab guy put one in. He works for booze.
cede
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by cede »

Good for you.
I had 1/2 NPT half coupling on mine, but I'd advise you to go with sanitary 1 or 1.5" ferrules if you have the money for the valves, or at least 3/4 npt. 1/2 is a bit on the small side
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

Yup, 1/2" to drain a full keg takes longer than I like to wait. But the price is right.
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

I have to agree. For the cost of 150qt pot you could put spigots on both those kegs and mash in the fermenter. Or if your fermenters are close to the still, you could just make a steam wand using copper, and really cook that corn. Use the money saved to get some yeast starter stuff and never buy yeast again.
Swedish Pride wrote:
get a brix reading on said ball bearings and then you can find out how much fermentables are in there
rollmeown
Bootlegger

Post by rollmeown »

Yes I agree now that I have rethought it. Think I gonna go with the 1 inch sanitary fitting to ball valve spigot. My Fab guy whole sales stainless steel parts. He is a contract where I work. 90% of metal in my plant is stainless steel. I walk around thinking all the time how certain equipment could be used in this hobby. I will look into the steam wand. I take it I would attach it to my boiler and use it for cooking the grain so there is no scorching?
rollmeown
Bootlegger

Post by rollmeown »

My first idea was to use a mash tun of stainless steel that I could do everything in. Boil my water put grains in once converted is complete then I can ferment it all in the same vessel. My fab guy thought that 300 gallon stainless steel shallow pot that had a lid insulation and copper tubing around it with an agitator would work really good but I think that's a bit much for me as I have no place to put it. When I talk to him today he said he has something for me I just got to go take a look at it. But I'm thinking this keg thing might be a good second choice
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

For the steam wand you just want 1/2" from the keg into the fermenter, much the same as a thumper diptube, but instead of a 90* elbow to go from horizontal to vertical, I'd put a T there, with a valve there to break vacuum when you kill the heat. A 4-5psi pressure release valve would be a good idea too.
Swedish Pride wrote:
get a brix reading on said ball bearings and then you can find out how much fermentables are in there