My first “run”.

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

G8RH8R23
Novice

My first “run”.

Post by G8RH8R23 »

So I had already done the vinegar run and not too many issues and so I decided to do my alcohol cleaning run tonight. Got 2 cheap gallon bottles of wine and added a gallon of water to it to make 3. Turned on my controller(240v 4500w element ssr potentiometer ) and sat back and waited. I should also add that I’m using a 8 gallon boiler with a 2” column and a Liebig condenser. After a bit, the first dribbles come out. I start collecting in pint jars for the practice and decided to proof the first half of the pint. 70%abv is what I got. So I keep collecting that jar and when I really look at it, it’s kinda cloudy. I go to the next jar and it it’s crystal clear. I proof that and it’s down to about 50% abv. By the 4th pint it was down to about 15%abv so I stopped there. So my question is what would make it so cloudy and does 4 pints sound right from 3 gallons? Thanks eyeryone
seamusm53
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: My first “run”.

Post by seamusm53 »

The average alcohol content of wine is 11-12%. So the total alcohol in 2 gallons would be roughly 1/4 gallon ethanol.

Distillation is never 100% efficient so yes, that might be an expected volume figuring loss as vapor and alcohol remaining in the volume left in the boiler.
thePanhandler
Novice

Re: My first “run”.

Post by thePanhandler »

maybe your cleaning run cleaned something out.