Is a cleaning alcohol run necessary ?

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

demon00
Novice

Is a cleaning alcohol run necessary ?

Post by demon00 »

Im preparing for my first run and I keep reading about a alcohol cleaning run , I did a vinegar cleaning run , is it necessary for a alcohol cleaning run ? I do have a a few half bottles of wine that no one is drinking, would that do with some water added ? I'm rimming a 6 gallon stock pot with a 3/4 inch pipe, about 12 inches rise and about 2 feet off the elbow with a 36" liebig arm ,
cranky
Master of Distillation

Re: Is a cleaning alcohol run necessary ?

Post by cranky »

Yes a sacrificial run is necessary to clean out anything missed by the other cleaning runs. Personally I think it's best to make a full size sacrificial wash and run it just like you will be running regular runs.
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

You've been a member since 2008?
Yes. A sacrificial alcohol run is absolutely necessary if it's a new still, a long-idle still, or one that's had solder/welding modifications.
demon00
Novice

Post by demon00 »

Yes , since 2008 but on and off , had some health issue and lack of funds , hopefully I'm better now, I just wanted to double check my reading , Thank You
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

I wish you the best, and welcome back!
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

demon00 wrote:since 2008 but on and off , had some health issue and lack of funds , hopefully I'm better now,
Want to wish the best with your health and fund issues..

Your 6 gal stock pot is of a nice size, but in the future, you may want to change the 3/4" column for a 1.5 -2".. it would improve greatly the efficiency output.. just something to thing about.. your present setup will work, but will not be efficient time wise..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
demon00
Novice

Post by demon00 »

I kind of feel like its going to take me 3-4 hrs a run , I dont mind that to much.... I am thinking of upping it to a 2" column and elbow and attach to my liebig, it should run ok on the same arm, its a half inch inner and 3/4 outter jacket
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

A 2" column would greatly improve the efficiency and your present liebig would be good.. just don't put the liebig so far away from you column elbow, a few inches would be fine..

The cost of 12" DWV copper pipe would not be expense, just call around scrap yard or call plumbers in your area, sometime they have end from a job..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
demon00
Novice

Post by demon00 »

1I may change it sooner... Thinking on it more 3-4 run time or longer may be a pain especially since its only 6 gallon boiler.... Thinking , like you said, 1.5 to 2" column, maybe 5-6 inches up elbow, 5-6" off the elbow then a reducer or 2 to my arm , should work ok
demon00
Novice

Post by demon00 »

On another note I bought a fire extinguisher today, just in case, better to have and not need, than to need and not have
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Very wise decision :thumbup:

A simple sugar wash will clean the residual Flux from the tubes. How long a run is debatable but I'm with Cranky on doing a full run to get back to speed of things.
demon00
Novice

Post by demon00 »

I am planning a full run, so I know it's all clean and safe, I'm thinking with what I'm running it's going to be a 3-4 hr run
demon00
Novice

Post by demon00 »

Anyone give me an idea of about how much product I can expect from a run with what I'm using ? It's just a straight sugar wash , was 10 lbs of table sugar and a lb or so of some left over confectionery sugar my wife had .. guesstamation ?? Lol thanks