Need advice about column and Liebig build

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

Lukehghs
Novice

Need advice about column and Liebig build

Post by Lukehghs »

Hi folks I’m building my first still using a 50 litre keg(13 gallon). I bought the two inch copper pipe for the column but it’s only sold in minimum one meter lengths 3.2 feet). Would this be too long to use for the column?
Bushman
Admin

Re: Need advice about column and Liebig build

Post by Bushman »

Depends on the type of still your making pot still is much shorter but a reflux still may even go higher.
Lukehghs
Novice

Post by Lukehghs »

Ahh ok. I am making a pot still. How long would think i should make it?
aircarbonarc
Swill Maker

Post by aircarbonarc »

Lukehghs wrote:Ahh ok. I am making a pot still. How long would think i should make it?

2" from your ceiling
long live Oldsmobile Aleros
The Booze Pipe
Swill Maker

Post by The Booze Pipe »

I would make your column exactly 3.2ft long. But consider the rest of your set-up where you will be distilling.
13.5g/50L keg boiler
copper pot still
modular 3" CCVM copper&stainless w/offset gin head
Lukehghs
Novice

Post by Lukehghs »

Wow ok! Even on a pot still? I’ll give it a go
Kegg_jam
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kegg_jam »

I would keep the length as well, but it really comes down to putting the collection point at a comfortable elevation. You know, so you don’t have to get on the floor to change jars.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I disagree, if your making a pot still no need to waste copper. A lot of pot stills are about 18" tall. Having made that comment if I were to build one today it would be similar to WalkingWolf's. Although you use more fittings I like it's looks and also has a benefit in balance. Photo of his still below. Also you might want to look at the pot still build pages and see what others have done.
image.jpeg
Lukehghs
Novice

Post by Lukehghs »

Ok thanks for the info everyone.
The Booze Pipe
Swill Maker

Post by The Booze Pipe »

Kegg_jam wrote:I would keep the length as well, but it really comes down to putting the collection point at a comfortable elevation. You know, so you don’t have to get on the floor to change jars.
Thats what I was trying to get at. consider where your collection point will be. For example: I use propane for heat, so my keg sits on top of a 13" steel stand, increasing my overall height. I was able to put a work bench together that put my collection jars at just the right height to my output.
13.5g/50L keg boiler
copper pot still
modular 3" CCVM copper&stainless w/offset gin head
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

20170809_114323-800x450.jpg
I know it's not a liebig but it will show you the height of the riser anyway coming off the still.
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

My pot still has a 10" column. Then it reduces to 1/2" , there's a 90* fitting and a union. After the union is another 90, and then a 36" liebig. I did this so I could adjust the height of the takeoff without moving my still. I've since added a thumper but still attaches the same. I can't attach a pic from my phone so I'll attach a link:

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/ohYAAOSw ... s-l300.jpg

That's not my still but very similar, sorry to the admins if the link isn't allowed.
Swedish Pride wrote:
get a brix reading on said ball bearings and then you can find out how much fermentables are in there
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

I would take 15 or 25 cm for use as a potstill and use the rest as a column. Makes your tools more versatile.
Lukehghs
Novice

Post by Lukehghs »

Ok I know what you mean about the collection point and the height. I ended up going with 500 mm for the column and 1 meter for the Liebig. My next hurdle is that I can’t figure out a way to get the thermometer I bought into the top of the keg. Unless I buy a 20 mm tap and set which I can’t really afford at the moment. Is it essential to have a thermometer on it?
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Lukehghs wrote:Ok I know what you mean about the collection point and the height. I ended up going with 500 mm for the column and 1 meter for the Liebig. My next hurdle is that I can’t figure out a way to get the thermometer I bought into the top of the keg. Unless I buy a 20 mm tap and set which I can’t really afford at the moment. Is it essential to have a thermometer on it?
NO.

Geoff
The Baker
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

My current go to pot still setup is a 3 foot x 2" riser, no thermometer. I like it fine, and I've used a variety of configurations.
Lukehghs
Novice

Post by Lukehghs »

Ok that sounds good to me right now, I’m using a three ring propane burner so would I just crank it at the start and then turn the heat down once it starts to boil and see how it runs from there? I’ve only ever used a turbo 500 still in the past and they only have one setting lol
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

More or less. Depends a bit on what you're running. If it's something foamy, heat up slower. Or if it's something flavorful and you subscribe to the "slower heatup = better flavors" camp. But yeah, in general, crank it up and slow it down from there is a reasonable way to learn a still. Pay attention to both your take off rate, any puking that comes over, as well as making sure your condenser knocks everything down. Also pay attention to stream size/twist to get an idea of what a certain takeoff looks like.

Gas makes it hard to calculate heat up times, so you may find a thermometer in the boiler useful if you have or can install a fitting. Calculate the expected boil temperature based on the wash abv. Then you can turn down BEFORE it boils reducing the risk of puking or overwhelming a condenser.
Lukehghs
Novice

Post by Lukehghs »

Ok thanks for that. Just had a little set back. I made the mistake of soldering one of joins at the top of the Liebig last and must have forgot to put flux on it and can’t get it to seal. Because I have already put the bend in the top of inner pipe I now have to pull the whole thing apart so I can get to it and clean it properly lol