First bottling

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

Burl Jerkins
Novice

First bottling

Post by Burl Jerkins »

Just wanted to share our first bottling of some bourbon. Turned out really nice Clark. Small batch, 150oz in the barrel @127 proof (ya 1% over a technical bourbon) with the Angel's share and sampling throughout, we bottled 130oz proofed down to 100. 6 months of aging.
Attachments
20180303_171923.jpg
jon1163
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: First bottling

Post by jon1163 »

Nice presentation. How do YOU like it?
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Nice!! Stash a bottle or two away to try in a year or two - it's a great way to gauge your progress in this hobby.
I have learned a lot from the bottles that I find years later - some good, some not so - all great learning tools

Have fun
OVZ

Edited to say - from experience trying to make labels look good on those round bottles sucks!
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Something to be proud of! I'm diggin' those spherical bottles.
Shinerfortyniner
Novice

Post by Shinerfortyniner »

I like them too. Where did you find them?
Burl Jerkins
Novice

Post by Burl Jerkins »

Shinerfortyniner wrote:I like them too. Where did you find them?
specialtybottle.com Out of Seattle.

Both the 8oz round and the 12oz whisky were $2.25 each, corks included. No minimum order, shipping, to Indiana, was reasonable. Can't recall exactly, but I think it was under $10.

They have around 8 styles for liquor, from what I have seen.
Burl Jerkins
Novice

Post by Burl Jerkins »

jon1163 wrote:Nice presentation. How do YOU like it?
It's wonderful! I have been a bourbon snob for a decade. That being said, I would rank it up with the $40-$50 a bottle stuff, adjusted for bias, lol! Really though, if someone gave it to me and said they made it.....I would have called them a bullshit liar.

Not even a hint of the raw corn taste. Nice vanilla on the nose, a bit of heat and slight pepper on the finish.

I'm amazed at the quality after a measly 161 days in the barrel.
Burl Jerkins
Novice

Post by Burl Jerkins »

Oldvine Zin wrote:Nice!! Stash a bottle or two away to try in a year or two - it's a great way to gauge your progress in this hobby.
I have learned a lot from the bottles that I find years later - some good, some not so - all great learning tools

Have fun
OVZ

Edited to say - from experience trying to make labels look good on those round bottles sucks!
Yes it is. I like the round, but I think if I do more small size bottling, I will go with the square, tequila style.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I do most of my whiskey bottling in Bushmill bottles my fishing partner gives me. I like the shape as they are square and stack well in the cabinet.
Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Danespirit »

If it tastes as good as it looks, you have done a good job there..!
The wax sealing gives it a very professional touch.
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Congrats on your first bottling.

+1 on the round bottles and the wax looking cool. I received one of those globes filled with a fine rum as a gift a few months back and have been meaning to get a case of my own. I like the small size because I make small batches and I can share with more folks w/o having to partially fill something. :-)

Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

What kind of barrel are you using?
Swedish Pride wrote:
get a brix reading on said ball bearings and then you can find out how much fermentables are in there
Jimy Dee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Jimy Dee »

Burl J
What recipe do u prefer for bourbon? Just wondering as I discovered makers mark last summer and it is my preferred tipple by a mile. If there was better out there along the same lines I would love to know. I live in Ireland which is not a bourbon hot spot so will bow gladly to a bourbon snob! Well done by the way on your presentation, looks top class. JD
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

Jimy Dee wrote:Burl J
What recipe do u prefer for bourbon? Just wondering as I discovered makers mark last summer and it is my preferred tipple by a mile. If there was better out there along the same lines I would love to know. I live in Ireland which is not a bourbon hot spot so will bow gladly to a bourbon snob! Well done by the way on your presentation, looks top class. JD
I used to be a Maker's Mark lover, until I started trying different stuff while traveling. If you can find it, try Buffalo Trace, eagle rare, Wild Turkey 101, all entry level bourbon that's well above the quality of Maker's Mark. Four Roses Single barrel is my favorite bourbon. It's cheap $5 more than Maker's Mark, and an awesome supper. I've yet to find a better bourbon for less than $75.

If you can't find those locally, join Bourbon Secondary Market group on Facebook. May pay higher than retail prices but sadly it's the only option some people have to try different things. I've bought and shipped several bottles from that group.
Swedish Pride wrote:
get a brix reading on said ball bearings and then you can find out how much fermentables are in there
Jimy Dee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Jimy Dee »

Antler
Thanks for that, I will definitely explore that avenue.
Jim
Copperhead road
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Copperhead road »

Bushman wrote:I do most of my whiskey bottling in Bushmill bottles my fishing partner gives me. I like the shape as they are square and stack well in the cabinet.
I like to use the bundy rum masters Distillers collection bottles for the same reason, the square shape is cool look for moonshine :thumbup:
Never mistake kindness for weakness....