First (in a while)

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

Texas Jim
Swill Maker

First (in a while)

Post by Texas Jim »

Finished my first spirit run after taking a break for a few years. Started with four all-grain batches (50# corn, 7.5# malted barley, and 5# rye). Ended up with about 13 gallons of low wines at 40%. Not the best conversion, I know.

Did the spirit run on Thursday - got about 6-7 gallons of spirit (ran down to 20%). Split that - 1 gal fores, 1 gal heads, 1/2 gal late heads, 2 gal hearts (67% abv), 1/2 gal early tails, and 1 gal tails. After taking my hearts, I suspected that I had made my cuts too conservatively as there were some good flavors in the late heads and early tails, so I saved those too. I can add them back later if I want. The heads and tails will be recycled into the next stripping run. Fores will be tossed.

All in all, some good flavors there. Now to start experimenting with some oak, etc.
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: First (in a while)

Post by pfshine »

Cool. Get some liquid enzymes to help out they are a good send
Life is a journey you take alone. Make sure you do what you what makes you happy
Texas Jim
Swill Maker

Post by Texas Jim »

pfshine wrote:Cool. Get some liquid enzymes to help out they are a good send
Yep, I didn't mention it, but I used them. They make it so much easier.

I think I need a grain mill next.
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

I've been meaning to make one of them for ages. Perhaps this summer will be the year
Life is a journey you take alone. Make sure you do what you what makes you happy