First Mango Mash

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

CleatusC
Novice

First Mango Mash

Post by CleatusC »

Started a Mango mash last night. 5 gal distilled water, 15lbs sugar and 15 mangos (peeled and then hand squeezed off the seed). Champagne yeast added and put to bed. Air lock was already bubbling this morning. Can't wait to run this!

Anyone done this before?
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: First Mango Mash

Post by still_stirrin »

CleatusC wrote:...Anyone done this before?
Have you?

3 lb. sugar per gallon plus fruit.....what’r you expecting? I suspect it’ll be “hot” and the fruit flavor will be lost in the heads.

I ALWAYS recommend new distillers start with the Tried & True recipes until the know what they’re doing.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
CleatusC
Novice

Post by CleatusC »

My first three runs were just corn and sugar. All turned out great! 145 proof hearts from an alembic!
FL Brewer
Swill Maker

Post by FL Brewer »

Cleatus - let us know how it turns out. I agree that the sugar to fruit ratio is a bit high, but the proof's in the puddin. I have two mango trees that are just beginning to give a nice crop, and I'm thinking mango brandy might be a real nice use of the ones I can't eat..... and I love mangoes, I always gain 5 pounds during mango season. In another couple years, I'm gonna have a serious need to find a home for what those trees produce.
Everyone has to believe in something. Me? I believe I'll have another drink......
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Those tree will produce alot of good brandy!
FL Brewer
Swill Maker

Post by FL Brewer »

Hey Cleatus - any update on the mango brandy?
Everyone has to believe in something. Me? I believe I'll have another drink......
FL Brewer
Swill Maker

Post by FL Brewer »

Mango season is coming to an end for me, so I gathered up all the frozen mangoes I've been storing for the last month or so, and the mango wine has been fermenting away for a little over a week now. I used about 10 lbs of mangoes and one big pineapple, all blended to a puree, 10 lbs sugar, and water to make about six and a half gallons. Added 2 tsp of acid blend (with the pineapple, that should be enough), 2 tsp yeast energizer, and pitched one package of EC-1118. It started a bit slow, but is bubbling like crazy now. I'm going to have to bottle a gallon or so of this wine, will run the rest as a brandy. Can't wait for this one......