My first still

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

Night Hawk
Novice

My first still

Post by Night Hawk »

So for the last few weeks I've been reading and reading, watching videos and reading some more, and I think I'm ready to build my first still. :D
(I think, I hope)

I picked up a half keg (15 gallon) to convert into a boiler, the only trouble I'm having there is finding someone (on the side) to install a cleaning port and ball valve for drainage.
I also ordered one of those copper DIY Beer Keg column Kits off of ebay, the kind you have to solder together yourself. What I like about this is it can be used as a pot still, or I can swap out the top, add some copper mesh and use it as a reflux still.

I plan on starting with a simple UJSSM run until I learn more, then I'll work up to more complicated recipes.

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who post regularly, hopefully it'll help shorten the learning curve a bit. LOL
Reverend Newer
Swill Maker

Re: My first still

Post by Reverend Newer »

Really just to get started, skip the cleaning port and drain. I used a keg for years without either. If you run cleared washes, the inside of the boiler will just need a rinse and it's easy to just dump the keg out thru the factory 2" port when finished.

You can always add the fancy drains and ports later.

Also, not sure about the kits on ebay, but if you're gonna be soldering it yourself, why not collect the pieces yourself?

Hammering out an EZ Flange on some 2" copper pipe is pretty cheap way to get started, good luck!
spiritually taxed circa 1791
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

I'd deffo get a drain on there, fillport is handy too but If I could only have one It would be the drain.

If you can solder the column, you can solder the drain and fill port, same thing really just a bit more patience is needed, that and a good flux for stainless.
Don't be a dick
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

I'm also betting a drain port would be beneficial (no offense, Rev Newer) as 15-gallons is quite a weight to be tipping to drain.
My 8-gallon when full is about as heavy as I want to be carrying to the slop sink.