My First Still

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

Okie_stiller
Novice

My First Still

Post by Okie_stiller »

Here's my cloumn and condenser for my pot still I recently changed the lid to a stainless steel bowl that sits on top of a 4 gallon stock pot the column size is 3/4" into a 3/8" worm through a 1/2" condenser let me know what you guys think or what I can improve on it

Thanks
Attachments
IMG_0244-979x1305.JPG
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: My First Still

Post by still_stirrin »

Hey Okie,

Do you really use a worm condenser? Looking at your photo, I see a Liebig condenser. A worm will work too but the Liebig is more efficient.

But what you've got looks a little small especially if the vapor/condensate tube is only 3/8". It will give you fast vapor speeds and that will result in vapor blowby, unless the condensing jacket is long enough. Dwell time is critical to the phase change as the vapor must give up its heat to the coolant. And ice water is NOT the solution....time in the tube is.

For a potstill, especially one with such a small diameter riser (3/4"), the riser does not need to be tall. In fact, you actually could shorten yours and it would be just as effective. And changing from a flat lid to a bowl wasn't necessary either unless you've had problems with the wash puking into the riser tube. You don't need to "funnel" vapors into the potstill head...they'll find their way there naturally.

Finally, don't forget to do the proper cleaning protocol. You need a good steam run, then 50/50 water and vineger, and finally a sacrificial alcohol run. This is necessary to clean all the construction "gunk" out, especially any solder flux that might be in there hiding.

Good luck. Be safe, responsible, and discrete.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Okie_stiller
Novice

Post by Okie_stiller »

still_stirrin wrote:Hey Okie,

Do you really use a worm condenser? Looking at your photo, I see a Liebig condenser. A worm will work too but the Liebig is more efficient.

But what you've got looks a little small especially if the vapor/condensate tube is only 3/8". It will give you fast vapor speeds and that will result in vapor blowby, unless the condensing jacket is long enough. Dwell time is critical to the phase change as the vapor must give up its heat to the coolant. And ice water is NOT the solution....time in the tube is.

For a potstill, especially one with such a small diameter riser (3/4"), the riser does not need to be tall. In fact, you actually could shorten yours and it would be just as effective. And changing from a flat lid to a bowl wasn't necessary either unless you've had problems with the wash puking into the riser tube. You don't need to "funnel" vapors into the potstill head...they'll find their way there naturally.

Finally, don't forget to do the proper cleaning protocol. You need a good steam run, then 50/50 water and vineger, and finally a sacrificial alcohol run. This is necessary to clean all the construction "gunk" out, especially any solder flux that might be in there hiding.

Good luck. Be safe, responsible, and discrete.
ss

The condenser is about a foot long I've done a thorough cleaning I don't think I have a problem with vapor blow by would changing it to 1/2" be better
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

3/4 over 1/2 at 30" would work wonders for condensing the vapes.

In a pot that small you'll get back a small amount of good drinking likker but it can be done! Just make enough wash/mash to do 3 or 4 stripping runs then run the low wines in a spirit run at or below 40%, even better is if you still have some wash to run with it :thumbup:
Okie_stiller
Novice

Post by Okie_stiller »

Shine0n wrote:3/4 over 1/2 at 30" would work wonders for condensing the vapes.

In a pot that small you'll get back a small amount of good drinking likker but it can be done! Just make enough wash/mash to do 3 or 4 stripping runs then run the low wines in a spirit run at or below 40%, even better is if you still have some wash to run with it :thumbup:
If I don't like the results I'm getting with my current setup I'll have to try that plus I need some practice soldering I eventually want to build my own out of copper sheeting
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

I feel ya, I tried and failed miserably. Knowing what I know now I bet I could and make it nice but my 2 kegs serve me well for now.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I believe it's big Bob who uses a small scale boiler and has a very good product. IMHO It comes down to cuts and blending. With a still of that size I would use baby food jars for collection.
Let us know how you turn out and don't give up, failures are a part of this hobby, just learn from mistakes.

In the tried and true are some simple washes to learn and they're fairly cheap and good sugarheads.
Okie_stiller
Novice

Post by Okie_stiller »

Yea I decided to start small no sense in going all in right off the bat I found a recipe that uses corn and 6 row barley instead of alpha amylase I'll be interested in how it turns out I'll keep everyone posted