5 Gallon - Sweet Feed

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

j3hx
Bootlegger

5 Gallon - Sweet Feed

Post by j3hx »

Being as my BW TPW is taking its sweet time I decided to start a trial batch of Sweetfeed. Started with SG of 1.060-6.5 on Saturday, down to 1.010 or so today. Still bubbling away. I rotated the bucket half a turn and it seems to have started bubbling even more. Hoping this turns out well.

I realize I wont get a whole lot out of this size but plan to strip out what i can and run later. As soon as the BW is done that will free up my 20Gal Fermenter and I will start a large batch and then treat it like UJSSM.

Going to use the down time to plan my electric conversion and upgrade to a larger keg :). Really enjoying all this, even when Ive got nothing to run. My wife is going to kill me when i bring home another 20-30 gallon fermenter.. But i can see it happening already.
Shine0n
Distiller

Re: 5 Gallon - Sweet Feed

Post by Shine0n »

Sf is some good stuff :thumbup:

The rabbit hole just got a little deeper bwahahaha
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Just stay out of the wife's way, and keep the kitchen clean.
That at least works at my place.
j3hx
Bootlegger

Post by j3hx »

Thanks Guys! The sweet feed is 100% bitter, taste like a warm grainy beer. No sweetness at all yet it is still bubbling pretty good. I have a feeling ill be straining this off tomorrow! If not tonight to settle again for running tomorrow. Ill check the gravity on it in a bit.
j3hx
Bootlegger

Post by j3hx »

Sitting at 0.998 or just at/under 1.00.. Should this be good to go? If my calc is correct I have roughly 8.14% abv.. Its still bubbling.. But wasnt sure if id get much diff out of letting it get closer to .990 (9.19%). SG of 1.060.

Will the 1%-2% increase in abv make a big difference on the end "product"? Most likely will strip it but since I have yet to taste anything ive made (vinegar and 2 cleaning white wine sac runs) i want to try and catch some hearts and see how it is.

I cleaned and put my Hydrom up before thinking of taking a pic with it in.. Ah well, here is the color on it:
20180427_120643-1200x1600.jpg
Thanks!
j3hx
Bootlegger

Post by j3hx »

The "Trial" Ferment.
20180427_122601-1200x1600-1200x1600.jpg
j3hx
Bootlegger

Post by j3hx »

Running her through as we speak. I let it settle then double filtered it once into a 3rd container then again when i charged the still. Left all the white/cloudy junk in the bottom of the secondaries.

130 proof out the gate
j3hx
Bootlegger

Post by j3hx »

Collected 11 jars, letting it all air out then will see if i cant blend something decent. I need a bigger boiler :D. I took some of the backset and poured it into a 3 gallon pot, removed some of the feed and replaced with new, disolved the sugar in the back set and added the new feed and cooler water until i got the gravity to 1.060 and poured back into the fermenter. Already starting to bubble. Interested to see how the next one tastes.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

How's the 2nd gen coming along or turn out?
j3hx
Bootlegger

Post by j3hx »

I just siphoned it out today actually. It was a lot clearer this go round (likely to me allowing it to settle 3 or 4 days longer) Im coming out with a lot less liquid than id hope for lol. like 2.5 gallons out of the 5... unless i dig deep im the grains and pull out a little more. The first run i kept some and its been on oak ever since. I keep catching different sweet smells and its shaping up. Granted i only kept 3/4 of a quart and threw in some JD barrel smoke chips (charred some a bit more). The rest i kept to rerun.

I finally freed up my 20 gallon fermenter. Being as im already liking the taste im going to start over and do a 15 gallon batch. Ill strip this 2 gallons and add it to the spirit run later on down the road. Should i add in the entire backset and contents from my 5 gallon bucket to my 15 gallon or would it be best to start from scratch?
j3hx
Bootlegger

Post by j3hx »

After all my sampling then the 2 sweetfeed n cokes i had today: (running low lol)
20180509_143833-1200x1600.jpg
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Yea it's hard to keep the skinners off of it but trust me that let it be for 6 months and you'll fall in love again like a school kid.

This is just my opinion but jd chips make a bourbon taste like well....JD

That's why I buy med toast oak cubes or make domino's so I'm not tainted with shit I didn't care for anyway, this year I'm going to get the Applewood chunks and toast them and possibly char a few for some brandy.

Back on topic, your 2nd Gen was lighter because the molasses on the cob was used up on the first go round, I'll add 10% (or close) weight back to the fermenter. I don't weigh crap but from a gallon jug you get 12 lbs molasses so just guage it by eye and you'll be fine.

Now keep those skinners off it for a month and see the difference from now, then in 3 months but just a sample.

You need to get some stock made up so you don't run out. lol
Good luck :thumbup:
j3hx
Bootlegger

Post by j3hx »

Shine0n wrote:Yea it's hard to keep the skinners off of it but trust me that let it be for 6 months and you'll fall in love again like a school kid.

This is just my opinion but jd chips make a bourbon taste like well....JD

That's why I buy med toast oak cubes or make domino's so I'm not tainted with shit I didn't care for anyway, this year I'm going to get the Applewood chunks and toast them and possibly char a few for some brandy.

Back on topic, your 2nd Gen was lighter because the molasses on the cob was used up on the first go round, I'll add 10% (or close) weight back to the fermenter. I don't weigh crap but from a gallon jug you get 12 lbs molasses so just guage it by eye and you'll be fine.

Now keep those skinners off it for a month and see the difference from now, then in 3 months but just a sample.

You need to get some stock made up so you don't run out. lol
Good luck :thumbup:

That makes sense! Thank You, I will look into some cubes. I was looking at a couple1-3l barrels. I used the Jd chips in what i seperated out of the first gen. Going to restart with a larger batch this weekend. Annnd i have out grown my 5 gal boiler. 15.5 here i come.
Attach31296_20180511_085621_crop_323x323.jpg
Ill let this one sit for a while (6months or so as u suggested). Ill let ya know how it turns out!