My first Boka Still...

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

Winebibber
Novice

My first Boka Still...

Post by Winebibber »

Hi all!

I joined the forum an year ago and ventured into making my own shine with a crude home made 10lit. pot still with worm using wineo's plain old sugar wash. Great recipe! Thanks!

After having completed a lot many runs during the year quite successfully achieving a 70-75% ABV, I decided to prepare my first, real still with a LM column on the designs of Bokabob. After having spend nearly a month arranging the necessary materials and getting the engineering part done, I am posting some images of what I have made. :) All the cutting and welding work was carried out by a local steel fabricator. I am thankful to him for not asking too many embarrassing questions about the purpose of these attachments. :moresarcasm:

1. The double helix condenser wound with 1/4" copper tube. Thanks to Hook for the step by step guidance for winding the condenser! I wound this darn coil in my first attempt without wasting copper tubes.
The double helix condenser wound with 1/4" copper tube
The double helix condenser wound with 1/4" copper tube
IMG_20180603_191939-1.jpg
2. Output valve connected to Reflux Column. I obtained this SS pinhole valve used for regulating domestic cooking gas (LPG) line, and got is welded on the column at proper place. During the testing, I found one very small leak at the welding, therefore I covered it with epoxy material from the outside.
Output valve connected to Reflux Column
Output valve connected to Reflux Column
3. Placement for thermometer. A little piece of 1/4" copper tube inserted between the plates in the reflux column. Had to use brass brazing to fit the thing.
Placement for thermometer.
Placement for thermometer.
4. SS plate used as flange. This is 9 SWG SS plate, duly welded on the bottom of column. To make it more sturdy, a layer of epoxy material has been coated from outside. The plated has been fitted on the lid of the SS boiler container with SS bolts and nuts, using the 'Everlasting PTFE gasket'. Thanks to Samohon, for the great idea!
SS plate used as flange
SS plate used as flange
5. Boiler container 50 lit.
Boiler container 50 lit.
Boiler container 50 lit.
Contd. in next post....
Winebibber
Novice

Re: My first Boka Still...

Post by Winebibber »

6. Completed Still
IMG_20180603_191735-1.jpg
IMG_20180603_211022-1.jpg
I have tested the still with boiling water for few hours to check any possible leakages and the knocking down capacity of the condenser. So far I am satisfied with the performance. The column has been packed with good quality SS scrubs bought from Amazon. I admit, I had to discard locally purchased ss scrubs because they had some magnetic behavior. The scrubs bought from Amazon are not magnetic, and I can use them safely. Next I'm planning to go for a vinegar cleaning run, and then alcohol cleaning run, while my next batch of sugar wash gets ready in few more days. I expect to achieve at least 90% ABV product with this still.

I hope I'll post the results of my first run of this Still by next week. :) More photos to follow.

I thank you all for the very best reading material contributed to the forum, and the guidance provided from time to time. :clap:

Cheers!

PS: So far, I have been doing the sugar washes only, but now I'll try my hand on the UJSSM very soon. :thumbup:
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

The epoxy is my main concern! if you have a leak then it will leach materials from the epoxy and you won't even know about the leak.
Also, the still look completely made of ss, you'll need some copper to be in contact somewhere or you'll get some nasty sulfur taste in the product.

Maybe use copper scrubbies instead of the ss ones.

That's just what I'm seeing, good luck with this and do yourself a favor and get rid of the epoxy before someone who isn't as nice comes along.
Winebibber
Novice

Post by Winebibber »

Shine0n wrote:The epoxy is my main concern! if you have a leak then it will leach materials from the epoxy and you won't even know about the leak. [/quote
Yes, ShineOn. I do appreciate your concern. The epoxy layer will be removed fully before the still goes for a vinegar run. In fact my welder lives some 20 kms from my place and I'm visiting him on Tuesday to make desired corrections.
Shine0n wrote:Also, the still look completely made of ss, you'll need some copper to be in contact somewhere or you'll get some nasty sulfur taste in the product.

Maybe use copper scrubbies instead of the ss ones.
I'm afraid copper scrubbies are 10 times costlier here and my present budget doesn't allow me for that right now, I'm planning to throw a bunch of copper coins in the boiler instead to compensate for sulfar, Hope it should take care.
Shine0n wrote:That's just what I'm seeing, good luck with this and do yourself a favor and get rid of the epoxy before someone who isn't as nice comes along.
aa

Thank you and cheers!
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Make sure they're all copper and not just copper coating on them.

Nice looking still too :thumbup:

Just don't want you to get hurt or be another statistic on the television or news paper.

I thought the boka was mainly for neutral spirits? I see you mentioned ujssm, I don't have one so can't supply any useful info but I've also read about people doing that sorta thing.

Anyway, be safe and have fun with your new toy.
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

No offense intended to your baby. But those welds are perfect examples of why I refuse to pay anyone to weld stainless anymore, saw plenty of that from several welders on several projects over several years. I learned to solder it where feasible, and find another way where it's not.
The epoxy is a concern. We must all decide what we are comfortable with. There was a time I had epoxy on a still, I would not make the same decision today.
Good luck :)
Winebibber
Novice

Post by Winebibber »

Thank you, Zapata and ShineOn, for your valuable suggestions. I must confess my personal mechanical skills are too limited and I have to depend on the external sources for metalwork. I'll try my best to get the errors corrected as pointed out by you. Will revert back soon.