The journey begins, first steps.

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: The journey begins, first steps.

Post by Pikey »

sweeps wrote:To avoid further confusion, I should point out that "The Compleat Distiller" and "The Complete Distiller" are two very different books.

"The Complete Distiller" was written by Ambrose Cooper around 1800 and is full of recipes for surfeit waters, ratafias, cordials and the like, with an air of alchemy surrounding everything. It is freely available at various places on the web, including Google Books:

https://books.google.com/books?id=g99QAQAAIAAJ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

"The Compleat Distiller" was written about two centuries later, back when turbo yeast was all the rage.
Thanks for that @sweeps - I thught it was just a misprint by SAB - Apologies SAB - My comments not valid ! ( YOu could pass I one of those firewater glasses whilst I.m here :) )
Scottish auld balrog
Bootlegger

Post by Scottish auld balrog »

Pikey wrote: ( YOu could pass I one of those firewater glasses whilst I.m here :) )
Passes demijohn with plumbers taped covered cork lid to the Pikey. Enjoy. Not bad eh :!:
SAB
Scottish auld balrog
Bootlegger

Post by Scottish auld balrog »

Another braw day in the ethanol forest, the smell of wood fired stills in the air, the sound of copper being made into shape, braw day indeed. Maybe time for a bit of reflection since the auld balrog started digging that new whisky well.

From starting out this adventure, armed with air still magical fire water making device, toxic turbo brews that sounded like a good idea at the time, and a very limited knowledge on how to use alchemy, witchcraft, and modern science for transmutation of sugar in water with some other stuff into this magical clear liquid that prevents blood forming in the ethanol system.

Now that the auld balrog has managed to complete the first fire water making stage, there would appear to be room for some improvements. It would be easier to start at the start of the process and work on that then work forward. Get the basic, initial brew correct makes things easier. Learn how to get that brew made, how to make a better product, a cheaper product (this is very important to Whiskyland balrogs :lol: ).
Just a case of using water, sugar, some wine nutrients and organic acids blend, add a decent yeast. Do not be greedy, let the yeast work easy, aim for about an initial starting SG of about 1.080 to 1.090. Let it ferment out as dry as possible, then rack, let it clear a bit then start the alchemy.

Work on adding flavour and natural ingredients, loose the acid blends and nutrients to more organic, traditional ingredients. Try other yeasts, try citric products like lemon, lime or orange to drop pH and give some nutrients and flavour too. Have a good read through all the other recipes used by others, the time and tested products, give them a go as the balrogs skills and knowledge base improves.
Get a brew on the go with cereal crops, how to get the best goodness from them, how to use enzymes with them, get a working knowledge with ingredients and how they all interact to give the results required.

How to use the magical fire water making device, how to get the best from it, how to take better fractions with it, get to know the limitations, get to know strengths of it. How to process the brew, how to make the best product.

Looks like a few more years of working research ahead of the balrog, a lot more digging in the whisky well, more mining in the vodka mines, raids on local library, prototypes to be made, tested, and fixed. Not going to be an easy journey, did not expect it to be so, much headaches for the balrog ahead. Balrog is ready to learn, be more dynamic with experiments, keep an open mind to all, expect the unexpected.

Well that is the plan for now, the auld balrog is still getting his wobbly feet, taking first few steps into this amazing hobby, still taking in the beautiful view of the ethanol forest.
Please feel free to pipe in with any comments, balrog is open to all advice, where to look, what to look for, what to look out for, the pitfalls to avoid.

Everyone is welcome in the balrog cave, even the wicked witches (plenty of firewood and flammable substances here to greet them with :thumbup: ) It is wipe yer feet on the way oot though, it is a Whiskyland balrog cave after all. Usual rules on mess, you make it, you clean it. Do not even think about taking the bog brush to the 'Toli monster' in the bog, it just gets upset and angry, has been known to bite, so just close the lid, flush and practice some witchcraft and hope for the best. If it still there, then just use the cats litter tray, empty it before you leave please, cat gets no pleased if you forget. Fire water in the fridge, next to the troll bone soup, under the pickled dinosaur eggs.

Welcome to the world of a Whiskyland balrog, a farting creature of the ethanol forest.
SAB.