First CCVM (almost) Build

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

FishNChips
Novice

First CCVM (almost) Build

Post by FishNChips »

Completed the still and checking for leaks at the moment. I still need some hoses, insulation, a copper coil, packing, and maybe a sight glass before it will run in reflux and be done.

Overall, esthetic could be a bit better, but with the bs I went through for that condenser and the SS ferules, that will do.

Here are links to a few pictures:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Szvz3JxVxTwEPzZw6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
https://photos.app.goo.gl/RjqEncg7qr2iMVh5A" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
https://photos.app.goo.gl/9RF337VNy7ALYjHYA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Don't be alarmed, I'm using PVC for the outer jack and RTV on the outside of the copper. If anyone has got a good, easy, cheap way to make that PVC look nicer though, I would appreciate it.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Re: First CCVM (almost) Build

Post by Twisted Brick »

FishNChips wrote:
Don't be alarmed, I'm using PVC for the outer jack and RTV on the outside of the copper. If anyone has got a good, easy, cheap way to make that PVC look nicer though, I would appreciate it.
Sure. Swap a piece of 2" copper pipe for the PVC and shove a length of twisted corrugated stainless up inside. It will work just like your RC. If you solder the 2" condenser shell directly to the 2" elbow it will eliminate the increase in vapor speed directly into the condenser, and increase your overall PC efficiency. Then, further down the road you can build yourself a shotgun for fast strips.

And, oh yes, it is highly recommended you post your pics directly to HD. Pic etiquette

Nice backyard.
Last edited by Twisted Brick on Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Here's your pics, FishNChips. It's best to post photos directly. Third party links tend to erode or get broken over time.
bbb1.JPG
bbb2.JPG
bbb3.JPG
Hoosier Shine9
Swill Maker

Post by Hoosier Shine9 »

fizzix wrote:Here's your pics, FishNChips. It's best to post photos directly. Third party links tend to erode or get broken over time.
bbb1.JPG
bbb2.JPG
bbb3.JPG
not to mention the name on the photo library.....
fafrd
Bootlegger

Post by fafrd »

FishNChips wrote:Completed the still and checking for leaks at the moment. I still need some hoses, insulation, a copper coil, packing, and maybe a sight glass before it will run in reflux and be done.

Overall, esthetic could be a bit better, but with the bs I went through for that condenser and the SS ferules, that will do.

Here are links to a few pictures:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Szvz3JxVxTwEPzZw6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
https://photos.app.goo.gl/RjqEncg7qr2iMVh5A" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
https://photos.app.goo.gl/9RF337VNy7ALYjHYA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

FishNChips,

your CCVM build is very similar to the one I am planning - is there a thread you can point me to that inspired your design and explains the operating principle?

If I understand correctly, what you've built so far is essentially a pot still with a top port, correct?

So to operate in reflux mode you will need to add a copper coilat the top of the column and possibly an extension to column height, correct?

I'm primarily interested in making a pot still but like the future flexibility a top-port offers to extend the still to add reflux operation. If you have any pointers so I can understand how the full CCVM design looks and iperates in reglux mode, I'd appreciate it.
kimbodious
Distiller

Post by kimbodious »

fafrd this viewtopic.php?f=1&t=41579 has the information you seek. Check the links in my signature for pics of my modular stills.
--
50L Beer keg boiler, 2200W element
Modular 2" Pot Still
opinions are free and everybody has them, experience costs you time
FishNChips
Novice

Post by FishNChips »

Thanks for the tips on pictures. I didn't know how to compress the photos to fit, but I'll read the thread.
FishNChips
Novice

Post by FishNChips »

fafrd wrote:FishNChips,

your CCVM build is very similar to the one I am planning - is there a thread you can point me to that inspired your design and explains the operating principle?

If I understand correctly, what you've built so far is essentially a pot still with a top port, correct?

So to operate in reflux mode you will need to add a copper coilat the top of the column and possibly an extension to column height, correct?

I'm primarily interested in making a pot still but like the future flexibility a top-port offers to extend the still to add reflux operation. If you have any pointers so I can understand how the full CCVM design looks and iperates in reglux mode, I'd appreciate it.
My inspiration came from the still a guy who runs the still it YouTube channel. He built a CCVM very similar to this and has a bunch of videos on it.

I don't have any single thread, I would ask others and as far as opperational, I haven't run it in refulx mode yet, in fact, I just got the stuff for the condenser today.

Yes, you need a few inch extensions and I highly recommend the tri clamps for this for the modularity, and ease of cleaning, etc. I had a heck of a time soldering the ferrules to the copper, but eventually got it to work. I posted something about that a while ago.

Again, I don't have any tips on opperational as I have zero experience, but as far as looks, it's just that addition to the top, packing in the column, and your condenser. Still it has info on opperational and what it all looks like as well.

Best of luck, it was a fun build for me. Total ended up being around 300 if you're curious. If you have some other questions about build or what not, go ahead and ask. Would have been nice for me if I had a direct line.