Did an ouzo last week

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

nuncaquite
Site Donor
Site Donor

Did an ouzo last week

Post by nuncaquite »

Not my first, but with a different method. Usually I put the anise and orange peel (I like mine with a bit of citrus) in neutral for a couple of weeks, take it down to about 40pr and distill.
I wanted to get on with this run, so I just boiled the anise and orange peel for about an hour, strained and poured the liquid into the boiler with the neutral. This seems to have worked quite well. Good clear product and tasty.
FelixxNZ
Novice

Re: Did an ouzo last week

Post by FelixxNZ »

Well done. I see with this hobby I will soon have a cabinet full of the booze I never could afford.
Nabatean
Novice

Post by Nabatean »

nuncaquite wrote:Not my first, but with a different method. Usually I put the anise and orange peel (I like mine with a bit of citrus) in neutral for a couple of weeks, take it down to about 40pr and distill.
I wanted to get on with this run, so I just boiled the anise and orange peel for about an hour, strained and poured the liquid into the boiler with the neutral. This seems to have worked quite well. Good clear product and tasty.
Hi Nuncaquite

How much ABV is the final ouzo ?
Does it get cloudy when diluted with water ?
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I am posting a link to my recipe here for Grand Marnier because it shows how I prepare the orange peels.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=43304&p=7124442&hil ... r#p7124442
nuncaquite
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nuncaquite »

How much ABV is the final ouzo ?
This run came off of a quality neutral. Started at around 180pr and I kept taking on down to 130pr give or take. These I blended together and havnt bothered to check final proof of the mix, but has to be in the area of 150pr.
After it hit 130pr I began keeping for tails. Ive aged ouzo tails in the past and they age well.

Does it get cloudy when diluted with water ?
I diluted a few shots for a taste test, but wasnt keeping track of the proof. It did not get whitish but for a few seconds and then cleared.
I think if a person takes ouzo down far enough in proof, that it will get the whitish look.

Coming off of a good neutral, ouzo and gin are kinda hard to screw up. That's what gave me the nerve to just boil the herbs and toss the liquid into the boiler.