My First Odins Easy Gin

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

The Dark Alchemist
Novice

My First Odins Easy Gin

Post by The Dark Alchemist »

Wow!!! Easy and had a small glass tonight after distilling in the week and blending to 42%.... Testing week 1 of 5 of course.
Very nice already.........

Thanks for the recipe, tips and all the advice I have taken from these forums [THUMBS UP SIGN][THUMBS UP SIGN]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: My First Odins Easy Gin

Post by fizzix »

You see some gin recipes that throw all kinds of ingredients into the mix. It's impressive what just the few botanicals do to this gin.
If you don't drink it all at once, the 5-week conditioning wait really pays off!
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I've never bothered with waiting 5 weeks for an OEG. It is nice enough straight off the still and I've always made enough that there is some left after five weeks. After an early sample of the first run you can get a fair idea of what changes you might want to try for your next run, so there is no need to wait for five weeks before designing your next gin.
nuncaquite
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nuncaquite »

''You see some gin recipes that throw all kinds of ingredients into the mix. It's impressive what just the few botanicals do to this gin.''

Im with you on that. My tongue is just not sophisticated enough for some gins.
Odins gin is a keeper. If it fails look within.
The Dark Alchemist
Novice

NZChris wrote:I've never bothered with waiting 5 weeks for an OEG. It is nice enough straight off the still and I've always made enough that there is some left after five weeks. After an early sample of the first run you can get a fair idea of what changes you might want to try for your next run, so there is no need to wait for five weeks before designing your next gin.
I poured half a litre into a Bombay bottle to sample over the next couple of weeks. Not sure my taste buds will differentiate, but I am willing to try. Beautiful already with Fever Tree Mediterranean Tonic, and a slice of lemon......
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

The Dark Alchemist wrote:
NZChris wrote:I've never bothered with waiting 5 weeks for an OEG. It is nice enough straight off the still and I've always made enough that there is some left after five weeks. After an early sample of the first run you can get a fair idea of what changes you might want to try for your next run, so there is no need to wait for five weeks before designing your next gin.
I poured half a litre into a Bombay bottle to sample over the next couple of weeks. Not sure my taste buds will differentiate, but I am willing to try.
What I find over the 5 weeks is the mellowing of the tangerine skin twang. I tried cutting back on the skin, but it wasn't as good.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

fizzix wrote:What I find over the 5 weeks is the mellowing of the tangerine skin twang. I tried cutting back on the skin, but it wasn't as good.
I celebrate the difference, using various peels and consuming my gins as both young and old. Some of the flavors that I like disappear soon after distillation and adding more doesn't seem to make any difference. The gin in my glass right now was poured from two different runs and is very nice, but I wouldn't combine the two runs just to free up glassware as they are both nice gins in their own right.
The Dark Alchemist
Novice

NZChris wrote:
fizzix wrote:What I find over the 5 weeks is the mellowing of the tangerine skin twang. I tried cutting back on the skin, but it wasn't as good.
I celebrate the difference, using various peels and consuming my gins as both young and old. Some of the flavors that I like disappear soon after distillation and adding more doesn't seem to make any difference. The gin in my glass right now was poured from two different runs and is very nice, but I wouldn't combine the two runs just to free up glassware as they are both nice gins in their own right.
Well, almost at the 5 week mark and been drinking the last week. An awesome recipe, simple, friends are amazed and I am stoked with the outcome. Looking at my next BW, thinking its another 3L of that magic!!!

The first batch was with rough "I'm guessing what I'm doing" cuts, so as I improve and get more selective, it can only get better......
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

The Dark Alchemist wrote:...Looking at my next BW, thinking its another 3L of that magic!!!....it can only get better......
Try the All Bran recipe in the T&T recipes. It makes a very nice neutral to use as the base of Odin’s EZ gin. Ferments quick and clean. The “sugar bite” is buffered by the bran cereal making it very clean and neutral. Try it.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

OEG is a great one.

I like it best with the tangerine peal cut back a bit if you have really nice fresh larger tangerines. I did normal coriander and juniper and cut back to about to about 2/3 the Tangerine skins in my 26l batch I did. got 26 750's @ 43% long gone... except about 1/2 a bottle I found a couple weeks ago. It is much softer now... but still an amazing gin... as a starting point for your own recipe. My FIL like the full amount of tangerine best from one my earlier test batches but the later batches are more well balanced.

I think the tangerines are key to get nice fresh and very fragrant tangerines. If I had poor quality and smaller tangerines original recipe would be perfect (was in a test batch early of 1l I did as a test with not great tangerine skins).

Another thing I put the juniper in the food processor for a bit to chop it up, Then soak everything for 2 weeks, strain and run based on Odins recipe.

B
The Dark Alchemist
Novice

still_stirrin wrote:
The Dark Alchemist wrote:...Looking at my next BW, thinking its another 3L of that magic!!!....it can only get better......
Try the All Bran recipe in the T&T recipes. It makes a very nice neutral to use as the base of Odin’s EZ gin. Ferments quick and clean. The “sugar bite” is buffered by the bran cereal making it very clean and neutral. Try it.
ss
Thx ss - so many recipes, so little time!!!! I'll give this one a crack too...
The Dark Alchemist
Novice

bitter wrote:OEG is a great one.

I like it best with the tangerine peal cut back a bit if you have really nice fresh larger tangerines. I did normal coriander and juniper and cut back to about to about 2/3 the Tangerine skins in my 26l batch I did. got 26 750's @ 43% long gone... except about 1/2 a bottle I found a couple weeks ago. It is much softer now... but still an amazing gin... as a starting point for your own recipe. My FIL like the full amount of tangerine best from one my earlier test batches but the later batches are more well balanced.

I think the tangerines are key to get nice fresh and very fragrant tangerines. If I had poor quality and smaller tangerines original recipe would be perfect (was in a test batch early of 1l I did as a test with not great tangerine skins).

Another thing I put the juniper in the food processor for a bit to chop it up, Then soak everything for 2 weeks, strain and run based on Odins recipe.

B
Now that I have experienced the base result, it's time to play... I now have a heap of botanicals, all infusing, so I'll do some blending to see what botanicals I like together, then play with some bigger runs..........
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

Another tip use the cleanest neutral you can make. I do 35g ferments then strip 3 and then run them all for a final run after diluting.. Make very clean cuts!

B