New N Georgia Still & First run

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

Monero Mustang
Novice

New N Georgia Still & First run

Post by Monero Mustang »

I wanted a really bare-bones still, anticipating the need to make modifications as it may need. I ordered a 2.5 gallon still with a 1-gallon thumper from North Georgia Still and it is bare-bones, indeed. Right off the bat I felt the need to solder a solid piece of copper between the thumper's ears to make them more solid as they flopped around as I was attaching everything. Since I have no steady water supply I began work on a recirculating cooling system using parts from a PC water-cooling system and a small fountain pump and uses a 5-gallon wash tub for the reservoir. The pump and fan are powered by A GoalZero solar-charged power unit. I also built a kind of expansion coil at the end of an extra-long arm off the thumper to allow vapor to expand, cool, and promote precipitation before hitting the actual worm. I don't know if that is what's actually going on in there but it seemed sensible. I'm tinkering with the idea of an expansion tank between the coil and the worm as a sort of pre-condenser. Moving on...
So I whipped up a batch of mash with corn and peat-smoked barley malt, let it work, and started running when I thought it was done. I should've let it work a few more days but in the end I produced a half-gallon of the damn smoothest 103 proof (high shot: 140 proof) whiskey I've ever tasted. May seem harsh but really, it's just that smooth. No burn hardly at all. Flavorful as all get out with a cool jet of soothing fumes out your mouth. Exquisite! I cut a piece of dead, seasoned oak and heated it in a Dutch oven for an hour then charred it with a torch and dropped it in the jug. In two weeks I'm heading to an annual wilderness event with friends who will appreciate a fine product.
So that's my first experience with one of these little hobby stills. I actually like how cool you can run it. Sure makes for smooth sippin'.
Attachments
Tempered from 140 to 103 proof. Smooth as glass.
Tempered from 140 to 103 proof. Smooth as glass.
Cooling system
Cooling system
w/o recirc. cooling system
w/o recirc. cooling system
Alchemist75
Rumrunner

Re: New N Georgia Still & First run

Post by Alchemist75 »

Nice little set up. That coil before the worm probably isn't necessary but it isn't hurting anything. It could potentially help reduce the possibility of huffing but I think worm condensers don't typically have that issue anyway. Are you double running?
SOLVE ET COAGULA, ET HABEBIS MAGISTERIUM
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

You and your friends enjoy! Looking good, 'Mustang.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Tidy little rig. Should serve you well. Oh, and tight cast iron pan ya got there.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Monero Mustang
Novice

Post by Monero Mustang »

Yeah, that first worm is probably just more copper for the steam to run through. But that's fine, too. I'll keep messing around with ideas. Is my product doubled? Yes, fresh beer is singled and the resulting backings are ran in the thumper with fresh beer in the pot. So the results of each run alternate between mostly finished whiskey and mostly backings or singlings. When I've ran all the beer I have around 3 pints of backings for the next project and a sum total of around 5 pints of whiskey. I need to prolong the fermentation time on the next run and those amounts might increase a bit.

Thank you for the warm welcome! :D
Monero Mustang
Novice

Post by Monero Mustang »

Oh yeah, I have a great set of cast iron. It cooks everything I eat. I even make coffee in that skillet from time to time. A little greasy but not terrible.
Big Smith Papaw
Novice

Post by Big Smith Papaw »

Monero... Could you let me know what the recipe, mashing process, and yeast you used was? I actually just bought a 10lb bag of Roasted Barley because it was a fantastic price and have no idea what to do with it and have been searching on here, reading the net, and I guess I'm just not looking in the right places. ANYWAY all I usually run is Sweetfeed, Corn, Sugar, and bakers yeast back in the woods in the middle of nowhere. I got a 10 gal pot still and I usually mash at 140deg F. Rack off and distill after a week or so. Could you spare a helping hand with a roasted barley recipe and maybe give some advice on some other ingredients I need to pare with them? Thanks in advance!
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

Big Smith Papaw wrote:I actually just bought a 10lb bag of Roasted Barley because it was a fantastic price and have no idea what to do with it and have been searching on here, reading the net, and I guess I'm just not looking in the right places.
Hey there Papaw!
I don't want to get off-topic :silent: but take a look here: Jimbo's Single Malt AG Recipe

If this doesn't do it, you might want to browse the Tried & Trues or just post a new thread.
Good Luck!
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

Monero Mustang wrote: Since I have no steady water supply I began work on a recirculating cooling system using parts from a PC water-cooling system and a small fountain pump and uses a 5-gallon wash tub for the reservoir. The pump and fan are powered by A GoalZero solar-charged power unit. .
Hey MM!
I have the 5 gallon version and I'm interested in details on your recirculating pump. I got a small 12 volt pump off Ebay and trying to figure how to set it up and power.
:?:
Big Smith Papaw
Novice

Post by Big Smith Papaw »

Thanks for your help TDick! Still trying to get used to when and where to reply.
MoonBreath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MoonBreath »

Nice lookn beginner..Tighten it up, eliminate all the excess inefficiency.
*Spend it all, Use it up, Wear it out*
Beware of sheet-sniffers and dime-droppers!
Monero Mustang
Novice

Post by Monero Mustang »

TDick wrote:
Monero Mustang wrote: Since I have no steady water supply I began work on a recirculating cooling system using parts from a PC water-cooling system and a small fountain pump and uses a 5-gallon wash tub for the reservoir. The pump and fan are powered by A GoalZero solar-charged power unit. .
Hey MM!
I have the 5 gallon version and I'm interested in details on your recirculating pump. I got a small 12 volt pump off Ebay and trying to figure how to set it up and power.
:?:
I found the key to recirculating systems is that the larger the reservoir, the better. You can leave out radiators and fans as long as you have a LOT of water to recirculate. Like 15 gallons-plus. For your still, probably quite a bit more. I've been recirculating 6 gallons total (5 in a wash tub, 1 in the flake stand) through a radiator with a desk fan pointed at it. I just flip the switch on the Goal Zero to activate the pump and the fan simultaneously as tiny bubbles form on the worm from heat. I don't run them continuously.

I run the system during the day so my Goal Zero is charging while in use. I just ordered a XSPC EX360 High Performance Radiator from Amazon to improve the system. I'm also going to order a hydronic heating element (3/4" copper pipe with lots of cooling fins) to replace the arm coming off the thumper.

I've also discovered the way to use a radiator is to make sure your pump goes straight from the flake to the radiator. That way the ambient air is cooler than the heated water from the flake. The radiator/fan combo will do the most good where it is needed. Gravity will return your water to the reservoir which will feed your flake stand. If you go from the reservoir to the radiator the ambient air will be warmer and you'll actually be heating your cooling water before it goes to the flake. Not by much but you're system will still be ass-backwards and not nearly as effective.

As for power I use the Goal Zero Yeti 150 which I keep charged off my solar power system which could power the pump and fan all by itself. The Goal Zero is just a good buffer and I use it for all my other power needs. I can set it wherever I need it.

I'll get some pics up as I perfect the system.
Monero Mustang
Novice

Post by Monero Mustang »

MoonBreath wrote:Nice lookn beginner..Tighten it up, eliminate all the excess inefficiency.
I tighten it up every time I fool with it. This is my first little still. I've been running 50+ gallon stills for more than 20 years. Since I moved from Arkansas to New Mexico I've had to adapt to no dang water, no dang cover, and no dang sympathy from "neighbors". It's been a challenge I gladly accept.
Monero Mustang
Novice

Post by Monero Mustang »

Big Smith Papaw wrote:Monero... Could you let me know what the recipe, mashing process, and yeast you used was? I actually just bought a 10lb bag of Roasted Barley because it was a fantastic price and have no idea what to do with it and have been searching on here, reading the net, and I guess I'm just not looking in the right places. ANYWAY all I usually run is Sweetfeed, Corn, Sugar, and bakers yeast back in the woods in the middle of nowhere. I got a 10 gal pot still and I usually mash at 140deg F. Rack off and distill after a week or so. Could you spare a helping hand with a roasted barley recipe and maybe give some advice on some other ingredients I need to pare with them? Thanks in advance!
Well, I just kind of fudged my usual recipe to fit such a small still. I usually deal with bushels at a time. for this run I used:

~a little more than 8 pounds of corn
~a little less than 3 pounds of 2-row barley malt (usually use malted corn, whatever corn I'm making the whiskey from)
~I don't remember what that yeast was called; something "Whiskey Yeast". each packet is good for 6.6 gallons. It was out of date so I got it for free. I don't normally use yeast but I wasn't familiar with my current wilderness so I didn't know what strains are out there. I probably won't use yeast on my next run. I'll let whatever's out there get to it.
~about 8 gallons of water
~Enough rye to cover the surface of the mash in the fermenting barrel.

That's really it. Nothing too exotic. Do it up in the usual manner.

Oh, as for roasting barley, I wouldn't know. I never messed with it. I always sprouted corn and dried it. I might try that with some local stuff since that's really the tradition; adaptation. How about blue corn whiskey using mesquite-smoked blue corn malt? Hey, now...

Almost forgot to mention that I have to throw a little gypsum in this water I get from the fish hatchery. The PH is too high in a lot of the water out here. In fact, every spring I've tested near me is too alkaline to even drink comfortably. My grand-uncle always told me whiskey's in the water. The quality of the water says if you'll get gallons of gold or pints of piss!