Started a ferment on airborne yeast

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

nuncaquite
Site Donor
Site Donor

Started a ferment on airborne yeast

Post by nuncaquite »

Ive never left it to chance on having yeast in a ferment. But due to an emergency I had to stop in the middle of doing a gumball with leftover Booners sparge. I went out today to toss what I thought would be trash into the chickens. It was on a pretty good roll, so I put a lid on it. Going to see what it can do. Im kinda excited about it. If it works out well I may try and keep the yeast active for other ferments.
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Started a ferment on airborne yeast

Post by fizzix »

I understand wild yeasts can vary even in a small back yard depending on which plants your mash is closest to.
Some wild yeast brewers set up their beer rigs in orchards or near grape vines, etc. to great advantage.
I wonder what you'll get! Good luck. This sounds fun.
nuncaquite
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nuncaquite »

It looks to be at a rolling boil today. The bucket had be setting out near the garden. There was probably plenty of yeast floating around.
nuncaquite
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nuncaquite »

Pot stilled my natural yeast ferment today. I had fermented maybe about 7-8 gallons in total. Low abv, didnt try and stress this too far, not knowing what the yeast had in it. Seems to have turned out quite well. Smooth. Time will tell.

I know catching yeast is the old school way. But for me it was a first. It was a good change up.
My captured yeast is working on another 6lbs of sugar right now. I will play with this for a while.
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

If this turns out well, consider harvesting that wild yeast!
And know you'll have something absolutely unique that none of us are likely to replicate.
bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bilgriss »

I have a sourdough starter going right now in which the yeast is crazy active. Very tempting to give it a try.
nuncaquite
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nuncaquite »

bilgriss wrote:I have a sourdough starter going right now in which the yeast is crazy active. Very tempting to give it a try.
Keep it inexpensive like an UJ, and why not? If it stalls you could toss it or throw in some bread yeast. Nothing lost. Maybe something gained.

Im all happy about my captured yeast, but it may be nothing more than run of the mill bread yeast.
Jimy Dee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Jimy Dee »

Update as to how this turned out?
nuncaquite
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nuncaquite »

Seemed to work fine for a few batches. This last batch Im not happy with. Ive got one fermented, after I run it Ill either keep it going or toss it. Giving it this one last chance, I had a bit of a cold on the batch I dont like, so maybe my taste was off on the cuts.