Old still + first dundered rum

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

Fiddleford
Site Donor
Site Donor

Old still + first dundered rum

Post by Fiddleford »

Its been awhile since I had anything to post about so here's what I've been up to in the last little bit.

I got my old pot still back up and running, it was out or order because the lid wouldn't seal properly and would leak with a vengeance. I fixed that by making a firm thick flour paste any applying it to the lid then useing paper clamps.

I then put a few litres of water and let it get to a boil to test if it leaked and it never leaked, plus im sure my pre run test seals the lid on with the paste

Addition: I just noticed the lid looks like is full of rust.. Its not thats just a bunch of stuff from the molasses caked on
Example of paste on the lid
Example of paste on the lid
Example of my filthy still
Example of my filthy still
After that I made my first dundered rum, I certainly notice a difference between no dunder and dunder, it has a fruit leather taste with different candys and some odd flavors which arnt to bad. I can go into a little more detail if wanted later. I got 4 of clear spirit and a 2 literes of super hazy spirit, I didnt bother making cuts someone hid all my small mason jars. I decided to keep 1.5 literes of the clear unaged to drink white and examine further and blended in a half liter of the hazy stuff, yes there is a bit of a crudness to it but I happen to be a savage who enjoys it. Once i get my small jars back I'll do it differently with less undesirables.

I put it on some french oak cubes I made a whiskey on to lessen the impact for more time, I knew it would be a crude rum when I put the whiskey down so more time wont hurt, I also used the oak on some wine to get some of thouse fruity flavors more open, the oak has been toasted and chard in hopes of getting that carbon to clean up some of thouse less desierables cleaned out with time. I plan to let it sit for at least a month before letting others try it.

I can say it sort of has tootsie roll flavors which I think might cooperate with some pepermint, its texture is sort of lethery and smooth and the scent is like a vanilla with dried flour petals. This is unlike any rum I've came across but I like it and I cant wait to see what some time on oak does to it, I could see it really benefiting from some oak and I'll hope it gets that thick quality from it to.

Fiddleford
Last edited by Fiddleford on Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rye whisky rye whisky oh dont let me down
Gunna have me a drink then gambol around
Here's some fiddle music
Pt1
Pt2
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Re: Old still + first dundered rum

Post by OtisT »

Congrats on your first sundered rum. :clap:

Those binder clips are great. My first boiler was a Boyou Classic pan and lid and I never needed any paste or seal because the pan/lid fit so well when I used 14+ of the small clips. They are cheep, so you can use a shit load of them for a good seal without breaking the bank.

Happy stilling. Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Lucky thing getting that leak solved. Glad it worked.

Had my first dunder rum last night at our local Brew/Distilling Club and I know what you're talking about!
Having never stored dunder myself, I was all over the jar when my pal told me he had a dunder rum.
The nose was amazing ---like you said, vanilla, flower petals, and his had an added hard candy aroma.

Glad I finally got to try dunder rum so now I know what you guys are talking about.
I betcha time and oak will be kind to yours. Congratulations!
Fiddleford
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Fiddleford »

Thanks for the congrats guys! And fizzix congrats on the anniversary on your membership of the site.

Another aroma is like a dark candy, i dont have alot of experience with candy I'm old enough to have been in a candy shop but young enough for it to be a vivid memory.

The aroma and flavor shares a quality at the end thats relatable to smoking a menthol cigarette, something of old memory and it took me a while to figure it out since menthols where banned 5 years ago, not a quality im to keen on right now but I may grow onto it.
Here's some fiddle music
Pt1
Pt2
MoonBreath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MoonBreath »

That lil simple "filthy" still will make some complex rums tho.
The simpler, the better there. :thumbup:
That riser looks 2", surely not..
Riser can be shortened to eliminate torque on lid.
6" outa do and not foam or puke ifn enough headspace allowed.
*Spend it all, Use it up, Wear it out*
Beware of sheet-sniffers and dime-droppers!
Fiddleford
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Fiddleford »

MoonBreath wrote:That lil simple "filthy" still will make some complex rums tho.
The simpler, the better there. :thumbup:
That riser looks 2", surely not..
Riser can be shortened to eliminate torque on lid.
6" outa do and not foam or puke ifn enough headspace allowed.
Yea I made some good product on that poor old thing, its not usually leaning like that I was dismantling it and decided to capture a quick picture. Its a 1 1/2 inch.
I notice I can get tighter cuts with this riser, aside from it being a massive heatsink in my situation its beneficial.
Here's some fiddle music
Pt1
Pt2
Fiddleford
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Fiddleford »

New development in the rum, Its got that headsy taste I find in store bought rums, I seperated a generous ammount into the fores/heads jar but this only comes up when its super dilute

It still has all the other qualitys to it this is a new development, It really came up after I let the cap off the aging vessle for a day to let it breath which is somthing I do once or twice a week

I can see this being a nice dark rum but I know from aging whiskey this way that can flip sometimes. This is rum though
Here's some fiddle music
Pt1
Pt2