Troubleshooting: First distillation (sacrificial run)

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

Stratstill
Novice

Troubleshooting: First distillation (sacrificial run)

Post by Stratstill »

Hi!

Finally got to do my first alcohol distillation (after vinegar run), although it was a sacrificial run. Took it as a chance to practice cuts and temperature control. It all ended without major problems, but there where tons of mistakes as well. Distilled 2.5 gallons of a REALLY old homemade wine my father made years ago. It was overwhelmingly sweet, sort of as dessert wine.

So I fired up the pot still and maintained on high fire until lowering it when reaching 176º (should have lowered it earlier). Just in case, my boiler is a 5 gallon pot and has a thermometer attached to the lid (don´t know if its readings are really precise tbh). Just after collecting the foreshots, I realized the temp had gone up to 197º! Fire was at its lowest already. So, after that and up until the end of distillation (was just 1 hour), the temperature maintained at around 196º-205º. After the foreshots, didn´t know what to do with the temperature. The cuts where impossible as well, as I had no temp guide or even minimum experience on the subject. So I just collected until jars where almost full. I could, however, taste and smell the differences between them as they came out.

So what I´m trying to know is, how do I maintain the temperature at the optimal range for distilling for a longer period of time? Also, I would ask for tips on how to make clearer cuts, but I guess I´ll search for more threads on the topic as there must be several in the forum. I have done lots of reading, but actually distilling is a whole different thing! I know this takes time and lots of practice; I think this was a good start. Looking forward to my first actual distillation and to keep improving.

Thanks for the constant help,

Strat
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Troubleshooting: First distillation (sacrificial run)

Post by still_stirrin »

Stratstill wrote:...although it was a sacrificial run...Took it as a chance to practice cuts and temperature control....there where tons of mistakes as well...
Huh...cuts and temperature control on a sacrificial run?
Stratstill wrote:...So, what I´m trying to know is, how do I maintain the temperature at the optimal range for distilling for a longer period of time?
Short answer....more ethanol in your wash. You CAN’T hold the temperature where YOU WANT...the solution will boil at a temperature that is relative to what is in it. This is the biggest misnomer new distillers don’t understand. You don’t choose the temperature...the wash does.

If the temperature of the boil was at 195*F or higher, chances are there wasn’t much alcohol in the wash to begin with. Low alcohol %ABV means the temperature will be closer to the boiling point of water, or other alkaloids in the wash.
Stratstill wrote:...Also, I would ask for tips on how to make clearer cuts, but I guess I´ll search for more threads on the topic as there must be several in the forum.
Cuts take practice and you can’t, or shouldn’t try to do it on a sacrificial (cleaning) run. No advice needed.

Start a real wash and run it. I suggest a fast strip run (making 3 boiler charges to strip) and then a final spirit run. It will make the process of making cuts much easier. But then again, your reading should have told you this anyway.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Stratstill
Novice

Post by Stratstill »

[Thanks for the reply still_stirrin!
still_stirring wrote: Short answer....more ethanol in your wash. You CAN’T hold the temperature where YOU WANT...the solution will boil at a temperature that is relative to what is in it. This is the biggest misnomer new distillers don’t understand. You don’t choose the temperature...the wash does.
Got it. It seems kind of obvious now that you mention it, but I had been hearing a lot about temperature control and I focused too much on that.
still_stirrin wrote: Start a real wash and run it. I suggest a fast strip run (making 3 boiler charges to strip) and then a final spirit run. It will make the process of making cuts much easier.
For sure. Was thinking about trying one of the tried and true recipes here. Either birdwatcher's sugar wash or the cornflakes whisky. And sorry for my ignorance, but I didn't understand the 3 charge part. Do you mean I should pass it 3 times before the spirit run?

Thanks so much for the help, really appreciate it.

Strat
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Post by bluefish_dist »

Temperature of the cap when boiling is simply an indication of the abv of the boiler. As Still stirrin says more alcohol, lower temperature. Depending on the wash the starting boiling point will be 10-20 deg lower than the boiling point of water. It really isn’t useful other than knowing when you are out of alcohol as the still temp will be equal to water alone. You can see what your measured bp is by running with water alone. When you get to that temp or within a deg or two of that with an alcohol charge you are out of alcohol.
As you found out a low abv wash quickly ramps up in temp. A higher abv wash/wort will ramp up more slowly.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Stratstill wrote:...I didn't understand the 3 charge part. Do you mean I should pass it 3 times before the spirit run?
No, make a ferment large enough to charge your boiler 3 times, collecting the low wines from each. Then, charge your boiler with the low wines for the spirit run.

When you run the stripping runs, collect the bulk down to 30-35%ABV so you’ll be ready to charge the boiler for the spirit run without needing to dilute. Typically, 3 charges will net you enough low wines for the spirit run.

That’s what I meant.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

As an adjunct to what still_stirrin is saying, as a general rule one full strip will render out a volume of low wines that (usually) equal 1/3 of the working volume of your kettle. Therefore 3 strips will get you to a full kettle charge for your spirit run....As a general rule.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Stratstill
Novice

Post by Stratstill »

Thanks still_stirrin, bluefish_dist and LWTCS! Truly appreciate your help. Will work on that ferment for the next run and post the results asap.

Strat
Irishgnome
Swill Maker

Post by Irishgnome »

Stratstill, if you do take the time to run three stripping runs.
Make sure you proof down ( dilute the what you collect to 40% abv.). I would suggest 30-35% for any new guy.
I’m still a noob myself.

Make sure you read as much as possible before you get ahead of yourself.
The parent site is great, as is the new to distilling section on the forum.

Take your time and focus on safety!

Have fun as well.

Cheers.
Irish.
"There is something about yourself that you don't know. Something that you will deny even exists until it's too late to do anything about it."
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Or simply collect each strip down to the recommended abv.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.