My first all grain mash

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

Dantuss
Swill Maker

My first all grain mash

Post by Dantuss »

So I have done many sugar washes they all turned out very good thanks to the info on this site, here is my first try at an all grain.
Bought 70 pnds of unmalted rye.
Ran 28 pnds threw my mm2 three times to get a very fine crack on it.
7 gallons cool water added rye and 11 grams sebstar took to 190f stirring with paint mixer let rest for 90 minutes, added 3 gallons cool water and 2L frozen ice block.
At 149F I dropped PH to 4.9 with citric acid, added 11 grams Sebamyl and 22 grams Sebflo let rest for 130 minutes stirring with paint mixer. Did starch test..... not sure on conversion cause never done starch test before so I had a look with my refractometer and it read (corrected to 68f) 1.075 looks good, taste had changed from weak porridge flavor to sweet porridge and slight burn flavor (uh-oh). Cooled to 90F pitched red-star bread yeast. Its bubbling away like crazy an hour later in my fermenter. Looking at my BOP bottom after I emptied it I had some scorch build-up on the bottom I was firing it with a blichmann on propane.

After all the reading I had done I was prepared for a big rye lump as it heated up but that never happened, it did thicken for sure but it never made it to the consistency of thick gooey un-stirrable porridge as I expected it would have.
The Sebamyl and Seblo when added started to thin fairly quickly but never to a water consistency still kinda thick. I tasted it at all stages and it went from no sweetness to being what I think is a mild sweetness.

Will the flavor of this suffer from not using any malt? I used un-malted as I have access to tons of it very cheap.
I plan to pot still this will the mild scorch flavor I have in it show threw after distilling?
My Build 2" CCVM
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 17&t=68341" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
My still up and running 1st and 2nd runs Yahoo!
https://youtu.be/KYZUiHw79vY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: My first all grain mash

Post by Swedish Pride »

sounds like a great first go, good job lad!
I've never done unmalted rye, but have done plenty some malted barley and some unmalted barely.
To me less than 50% malt is where I notice a distinct lack of it in the flavour, moore is better in my view, again, that is for barley.
IIRC HDNB does almost exclusively rye these days, he started with a fair bit unmalted and the rest malted and have been experimenting a fair bit, think he settled on 100% malted in the end.

Sounds like you've access to the rye crops?
Might be worth a whirl at malting some rye?

Best of luck with it
Don't be a dick