Double Coil.

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

my98xc600
Novice

Double Coil.

Post by my98xc600 »

My first try at a double coil! Thanks to the info here, it was simple. Now, on to the rest of the build!!
Coil.jpg
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Re: Double Coil.

Post by OtisT »

Nice start. :thumbup:

I can’t tell from the pic. Is that 1/4” tubing or bigger, and is this for inside of a 2”or 3” column?

Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
my98xc600
Novice

Post by my98xc600 »

It's 1/4 inch tubing to fit in a 2" column.
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

It looks fine do pay attention to the flow and wattage input on the cleaning run. If it knocks down water alkey will be no problem
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

If the flow is good, it should be very close to handling 5500 watts. Good = 3.5 lpm, just shy of 1 gpm. I know this because I have some condensers that use about the same amount of copper and with a flow of 3.5 lpm, it just barely handles all of my 5500 w.

Otis
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Nice work my98 :thumbup:
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Nice!!! Looks like you have some skills - looking forward to see your finished rig

be safe
OVZ
Dedant
Novice

Post by Dedant »

Wow. That looks so much better than my first, and second, attempt. Is the 1/4”” id or od . I used refrigeration tubing of 6mm OD but I think it will be too small. Is there a link on the coil winding on here, my eyes are bleeding trying to read off the iPad
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Dedant wrote:Wow. That looks so much better than my first, and second, attempt. Is the 1/4”” id or od . I used refrigeration tubing of 6mm OD but I think it will be too small. Is there a link on the coil winding on here, my eyes are bleeding trying to read off the iPad
That would be 1/4” OD and is standard refrigerator water tubing where I live. It’s not too small, as long as your power is around 5000w or lower and you get a good wind. If you have more than 5000 W, you can make a double coil with two inputs and two outputs for more knockdown power. The key to making 1/4” work for high power is to not kink or flatten the tubing when you bend it. There are different ways to do this, all described in various threads. The method I use is to pack my tubing with salt to maintain its shape. I’ve gotten better and now only pack the first bends near the tip and leave the rest of the tubing unpacked for the bending. I’m happy when I can get a 3.5 liters per minute flow rate through a coil at home water pressure.

There are several threads where folks show how they wind coils. Use “HD Google Search” and you should be able to find several threads on this.

Otis
my98xc600
Novice

Post by my98xc600 »

Thanks everyone!
OtisT wrote:
Dedant wrote:Wow. That looks so much better than my first, and second, attempt. Is the 1/4”” id or od . I used refrigeration tubing of 6mm OD but I think it will be too small. Is there a link on the coil winding on here, my eyes are bleeding trying to read off the iPad
That would be 1/4” OD and is standard refrigerator water tubing where I live. It’s not too small, as long as your power is around 5000w or lower and you get a good wind. If you have more than 5000 W, you can make a double coil with two inputs and two outputs for more knockdown power. The key to making 1/4” work for high power is to not kink or flatten the tubing when you bend it. There are different ways to do this, all described in various threads. The method I use is to pack my tubing with salt to maintain its shape. I’ve gotten better and now only pack the first bends near the tip and leave the rest of the tubing unpacked for the bending. I’m happy when I can get a 3.5 liters per minute flow rate through a coil at home water pressure.

There are several threads where folks show how they wind coils. Use “HD Google Search” and you should be able to find several threads on this.

Otis
Dedant,
Otis is spot on. I used Hooklines method for winding the coil. The key is patience. Here's a PDF of the process.
Winding a Coil Condenser.pdf
(1.37 MiB) Downloaded 142 times
my98xc600
Novice

Post by my98xc600 »

OtisT wrote:If the flow is good, it should be very close to handling 5500 watts. Good = 3.5 lpm, just shy of 1 gpm. I know this because I have some condensers that use about the same amount of copper and with a flow of 3.5 lpm, it just barely handles all of my 5500 w.

Otis
Update. It did better than I thought it would. On the cleaning run and it was able to knock down water vapor running at 5500 watts with just over 1/2 gallon (2 liters) per minute.