My first first batch

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

RSeals28
Novice

My first first batch

Post by RSeals28 »

So I just completed my first batch ever and loved it! To start I’ll say that I’m committed to AG recipes as I enjoy sipping Tennessee whiskey or bourbon and not necessarily just looking for a quick buzz (although I do like the buzz :D ) I did 25 lbs of grain (70% corn, 17% winter wheat, 13% 6-row barley) with Red Star Dady yeast and 10 gallons of water. Distilled in a reflux still but only used the condenser side of the still so more water and flavor would transfer to the final product. Now that I’ve completed the full process once I’ve got several questions for you guys.

How does the amount of water in the mash affect the process? I’ve seen AG recipes with water(quarts) to grain(pounds) ratios as low as 1:1 and higher. The recommendations I’ve seen are 1.25 quarts per pound. Mine was 1.6 quarts per pound. My wash ABV% going into the still was 8.4%. Obviously it would have been higher if I had used less water. Pros/cons for using more or less water in the mashing process?

I put the final product in a 2l barrel at about 130 proof. Is there an argument to barrel this at a higher or lower proof? To get higher, I would assume I would need to find a setting on the reflux side of the still to refine a higher alcohol%? To barrel at a lower proof I would need to cut with water or include more tails?

Does anyone have a good source for new oak (charred) 10 to 30 gallon barrels?

Thanks ahead of time comments and opinion!
Copperhead road
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: My first first batch

Post by Copperhead road »

You are doing your cuts and only aging your hearts? Some do add small amounts of certain tail jars for flavour but it’s something you got to like. I hate tails and can pick the slightest amount up if it has been added. Adding Tails to your hearts is like poisoning the well IMO.

65% (130 proof) is the recommended ABV for aging but once again it’s a personal preference. I always get the best results from 65% abv in my barrels,
Never mistake kindness for weakness....
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

~2-pounds grain to 1-gallon water is a good ratio.
And don't neglect an absolute minimum 30 diastatic power.
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Congrats on your first run. :clap:

Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
RSeals28
Novice

Post by RSeals28 »

Thanks for the comments. @Copperhead, yes only barreled hearts this time. Flavor is really good as a white dog. Excited to see what I have after it has matured a little in the barrel. I kept tails for next distilling run. @fizzix, I’ll pay more attention to that next time for sure. For this batch I just added 1 teaspoon of amylase for each pound of grain. This first run was to get my feet wet enough to even know what questions to ask. LOL
Lawfish
Bootlegger

Post by Lawfish »

I age all my whiskey at 120 and I've conducted blind taste tests and most people can't tell my whiskey from commercial whiskey. I can say that it comes out really good at 120. Never tried 130.

Fish
Lawfish

Homebrewer turned distiller