My First Vapour Infused Gin

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

floydw22
Novice

My First Vapour Infused Gin

Post by floydw22 »

Hello all,
I have recently acquired a grainfather with the Alembic pot still attachment + botanical basket. I am aiming to use this setup to distill neautral spirit from a 25L sugar wash then re-distill as gin through a purely vapour infused method. However, I am struggling to find a suitable recipe for this scenario. I am aiming to redistill roughly 7.5L of 40% ABV neutral spirit into gin and am looking for advice as to botanicals (in grams) per litre (of neutral 40% spirit). Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!
Last edited by floydw22 on Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Re: My First Vapour Infused Gin

Post by Saltbush Bill »

The first part of the battle will be trying to make neutral with your pot. Finding a recipe will be simple in comparison.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I'd hazard a guess that, if you can get that much 40% out of a 25l wash, you will be disappointed with your gin.
floydw22
Novice

Post by floydw22 »

I’ve managed to re-engineer the still slightly so the vapour will pass through layers of copper mesh in order to hopefully give a higher quality neutral spirit however it will be trial and error until I make a reflux still of my own (hopefully soon). Using the homedistiller.org calculator I estimated my amounts, how much alcohol would you expect I get out of 25L of 14% sugar wash? Also, am still more unsure about a recipe for vapour infused gin then anything else.
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Here is something you should read from the HD home site, under Flavouring/Gin

https://homedistiller.org/flavor/gin" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Lots of good info there and has a few lists that will answer some of what you asked.

This great little chart from that page shows recommended percentages of specific botanicals. Just one source, and a great place to start.

[pasted text from that page - because its hidden in there]
The total amount of botanicals used is about 20-35 grams/litre. If we take the dominant botanical juniper as 'x', the proportions of the botanicals used is:
x = juniper
x/2 = coriander
x/10 = angelica, cassia, cinnamon, liquorice, bitter almonds, grains of paradise, cubeb berries
x/100 = bitter & sweet orange peel, lemon peel, ginger, orris root, cardamon, nutmeg, savory, calamus, chamomile.
If we use x = 20g then x/2 = 10g, x/10 = 2g, x/100 = 0.2g (200mg)

Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
floydw22
Novice

Post by floydw22 »

Thanks Otis, I have previously read thoroughly through the page that you linked me and have been using that as a guide for my current botanical recipe. However, the more research I do, the more contradictory information I receive with some posts suggesting that you should use 3 times the example amounts for vapour infused gin.
I am currently planning on using 100grams of botanicals in the basket in total however am really not sure whether this is at all a correct amount.
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

floydw22 wrote:Thanks Otis, I have previously read thoroughly through the page that you linked me and have been using that as a guide for my current botanical recipe. However, the more research I do, the more contradictory information I receive with some posts suggesting that you should use 3 times the example amounts for vapour infused gin.
I am currently planning on using 100grams of botanicals in the basket in total however am really not sure whether this is at all a correct amount.
Ya. I’ve read lots of anecdotal info but nothing definitive on that. You may just have to pick a recipe, make a batch, and adjust future batches according to your taste.

Best of luck to ya.

Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

If you do use too much, cut it with your finest neutral to tone it down. Be careful not to cram too much into your basket, creating back pressure.

Just because someone somewhere said that you can run with all the botanicals in the basket, doesn't mean it is the best way to do it, or that your still head is suitable. I have the option of doing it because I have a large basket, but I seldom do.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

A bit of copper mesh in the neck of a pot still won't help you much in your pursuit of neutral.
The sooner you build a reflux still the quicker you will begin making good gin.
Stick to using the pot for making the gin.
Vapour infused gins equal " Modern Gins" in my opinion....for lots of bold flavour maceration is the way to go.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Saltbush Bill wrote:A bit of copper mesh in the neck of a pot still won't help you much in your pursuit of neutral.
The sooner you build a reflux still the quicker you will begin making good gin.
Stick to using the pot for making the gin
Good advise there Salty :thumbup:

A reflux still to make a clean nuetral is a million miles away from a pot still riser stuffed with mesh . Its chalk and cheese .

But yes , a Pot still with a maceration and a clean nuetral in it ( dilluted down to about 40-45% abv )will make a fine Gin .
Get your arse into gear and get that reflux still happening :ebiggrin:

Clean vapour is the key here . Even if you are vapour infusing , no point directing headsy vapour through your batanicals only to be soon replaced by tailsy vapours . Sounds like yuk Gin to me .

Make the reflux still :wave:
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

You can make fine gin without a reflux still but you have to be sure that any flavors are a match for the gin. Even now that I have got around to building a reflux, most of my gins are distilled using pot stilled spirits.
floydw22
Novice

Post by floydw22 »

Thank you for all your help everyone. NZChris, what is your process for making gin. Am I approaching it in a somewhat correct manner?
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

In its simplest form, I double distill, not being greedy with the low wines and heart cut, or trying to get the wash abv much over 8%. Any tried & true neutral or bran vodka will do for the base spirit.

My simplest gin is based on Odin's Easy Gin with only the peels in the basket. Just because it's easy, doesn't mean it's an inferior gin. As long as you have good quality and well matched botanicals, it makes great gin.

If any gin louches at 45% and you want it to be clear, add just enough 45% base spirit to clear it.