Vapour temperature passing 78 degrees

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

desahih
Novice

Vapour temperature passing 78 degrees

Post by desahih »

Hello all,
so i was fermenting with wild yeast starting with a 1.045 sugar wash and adding some grapes to it so it can start fermenting....the wash fermented to 1.01 after 4 weeks with an airlock.
i know it did not finish completely but i was curious to know what resulted as flavor from the grapes wild yeast,so i started distilling it twice with my lab glassware (pot still) just to condense the grapes flavour and it really did(smells like grapes) ,now im distilling for the third time with some aniseeds to make raki, but the problem is that the vapour temperature quickly jumped to around 88 degree celcius ,did i produce rubbing alcohol or else what is this concerning me?

thanks in advance
MtRainier
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Vapour temperature passing 78 degrees

Post by MtRainier »

At 88C you should have 72 percent alcohol in the vapor according to the graph on the parent site.

https://homedistiller.org/theory/theory/strong" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
desahih
Novice

Post by desahih »

sir the question is ...is it ethanol or something else?like rubbing alcohol
thank you
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

It’ll be ethanol with water in it .

Eventually you will get go 99°C which will be mostly water with a tiny bit of alcohol in it .

The temperature on a pot still is not related to the type of alcohol .
In a very good reflux still , yes , temp can be indicative of the type of alcohol that is coming over ..... but it can also be effected by the proportions . If there is a lot more of one type than the other the temp will swing in favour of the higher proportion in a similar way that a Pot still does .

Bottom line is don’t trust your thermometer . They only tell you the temp ... not what is in the spirit .

If you distill into small jars, about 15-20 in a run , your sense of taste and smell will guide you as to what is drinkable and what is not .

Rubbing Alcohol (or Isopropal Alcohol) , like Methanol is not produced in home distilled beverages that need be concerned about .
desahih
Novice

Post by desahih »

thank you sir!