first run, total success

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

outdoorplay
Novice

first run, total success

Post by outdoorplay »

Finally got to do my first run after what seemed like years of reading and watching videos

I did not want to mess up my first run so I kept a close eye on my temperature, And I use small mason jars to collect in. Then after smelling it and tasting it, I would put them in pint jars, if I got one that was off or had a needle-like sting, I would just set it off to the side.

At the end of my run, I noticed my temp started to rise and I started missing the amount of water that went through my water jacket to keep the temp down. This all but stopped my productions I messed with it for a while but finally, I just shut it down as I figured I was into tails.

The good news is I got some really good no hangover juice.

Anyway, after I got done making sure that I just kept my hearts, my wife wanted to do some different recipes which I'd have to say all came out amazing and plenty of friends come over for a tasting everybody was thoroughly impressed and loved it can't wait to do more.

But know I have questions on temp,
It seemed like it ran the best at 178 to 180, and it ran like that for hours, then it jumped to over 200 and would have kept going if I did not up my water flow, so do I just let it go and burn the rest off or do I try to keep the temp under 212?
I want to run a stripping run and I keep hearing people say they let it run hot. What degree are we talking about here, how hot?

this pic is of my clean outrun
KIMG0003.jpg
this is my first mash
KIMG0007.jpg
my first drop that make out of the still
KIMG0009.jpg
149 cound not be happer
KIMG0011.jpg
after mama go done making flavers
KIMG0012.jpg
The Lord blest me with a blessed life, not the ability to spell, sorry
NJen
Swill Maker

Re: first run, total success

Post by NJen »

Looks great, this will be the first of many! What kind of ferment did you run? I saw on your other post you did a simple sugar wash for your cleaning run.
The flavored drinks look good, I think I'd like to make one like that cranberry one. Big cranberry fan, lol.
outdoorplay
Novice

Post by outdoorplay »

I just decided to do a sugar wash, 12 bls of sugar, 7 gal water, and champagne yeast, my biggest thing right now is to learn my still, then I'm going to start playing with the washes, I think after a few more runs I will be really comfortable with it how the still runs.

Made 4 different flavors
Apple pie starting on the left
Cranberry (and to be honest it was everyone's favorite)
Limon drop
black barry

all of them came out very good some I like more because of personal taste but none of them were bad

here the recipe for the cranberry
1C = one cup
you can't really read it on the napkin but add
1 tsp of vanilla
Cranberry.jpg
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Think I got it.
12 LBS (pounds) of sugar; not bls (which looked like barrels to me).
Looks tasty.

Geoff
The Baker
outdoorplay
Novice

Post by outdoorplay »

NJen wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:05 pm Looks great, this will be the first of many! What kind of ferment did you run? I saw on your other post you did a simple sugar wash for your cleaning run.
The flavored drinks look good, I think I'd like to make one like that cranberry one. Big cranberry fan, lol.
sorry for the big delay, but I retired and bought a 5th wheel, I have been traveling the USA, only missed 5 states.

I have only been doing straight surge runs, I really wanted to get to know my still, and understand what was happing as it was happing. (every run I have changed something on the still that I did not like.... lol)

I have made 4 batches of the flavored spirits. The Cranberry always is a favorite by everyone, the only thing that I added to the recipe was a little vanilla... I normally make 2 proofs, one a 40 Proof and the other 80 Proof.
The reason most of the guys like the higher proof and the ladies that did not like spirits and where more wine drinkers. LOVE IT at the lower proof, they loved that it was 100% about the taste and not about getting wasted.
outdoorplay
Novice

Post by outdoorplay »

The Baker wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:32 am Think I got it.
12 LBS (pounds) of sugar; not bls (which looked like barrels to me).
Looks tasty.

Geoff
LOL ya sorry pounds
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

You got the column I wish I had yours is already setup to be modular
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Ignore the temperature.
Stick some paper over the dial.

Geoff
The Baker