Copper pot still

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

dec3223
Novice

Copper pot still

Post by dec3223 »

Just wanted to show my home made copper pot still that just went through it’s first sacrificial run. What a joy it was to watch it work for the first time. Looking forward to tasting the next 3 grain rye whiskey that she makes.
Last edited by dec3223 on Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Re: Copper pot still

Post by Saltbush Bill »

dec3223 wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:15 am Just wanted to show my home made copper pot still
Think you forgot the photo.
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

Copper tease, that's cruel.
dec3223
Novice

Post by dec3223 »

B3119E5C-7C15-47C8-8DCC-FC3F6379CBCA.jpeg
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Lots of time and effort there.....good luck with the runs.
Nothing like watching those first drops from a still you built yourself.
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

Pretty work. Congrats on the birth of your newest!
Double, Double, toil and trouble. Fire Burn and pot still bubble.
tombombadil
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tombombadil »

That's a nice looking still!
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

I wonder.....what material is the plug in the thumper made of?

Advice...put a “swing joint” in your vapor line between the boiler and the thumper. It’ll make it easier to hook up and set up for a run, especially if you’ve got some wash in the thumper. Also, you need a swing joint after the thumper to the worm, because the worm is up in “outerspace”. The way it is, your flake will need stilts to immerse the worm into it.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillanoob »

Nice still! SS, what is a "swing joint"?
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

stillanoob wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:55 am Nice still! SS, what is a "swing joint"?
It’s a plumber’s term for a pair of 90* elbows closely assembled that provides 2 degrees of motion, that is, movement in two different planes, one for the horizontal plane and the other for the vertical plane. The combination allows to vapor pipe to be adjusted to accommodate different elevations of the boiler’s outlet and the thumper’s inlet.

Incidentally, you’ll need a corollary swing joint on the thumper inlet too. Oh, and if you’re using soldered copper elbows, it would be best to include a union between the two 90* elbows....on both ends.
ss
stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillanoob »

Thanks SS. I use a union for one direction and just get the height the same every time. I take it that one uses flour paste to seal the swing joint? Sorry for the thread de-rail dec!
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

stillanoob wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:16 am Thanks SS. I use a union for one direction and just get the height the same every time. I take it that one uses flour paste to seal the swing joint? Sorry for the thread de-rail dec!
Here, this is a “swing joint”:
B2263714-1BA9-4850-A7C4-7F591B6AE1E4.jpeg
When you’ve added the union, you can therefore solder the other copper fittings. The union allows you to “make or break” the joint for assembly, disassembly, and storage. When you assemble the joint (for use), simply wrap the threads with PTFE plumbers tape...it’ll allow you to snug the joint up and eliminate potential vapor leaks. No flour paste needed.
ss
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

still_stirrin wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:29 am
Here, this is a “swing joint”:
B2263714-1BA9-4850-A7C4-7F591B6AE1E4.jpeg

When you’ve added the union, you can therefore solder the other copper fittings. The union allows you to “make or break” the joint for assembly, disassembly, and storage. When you assemble the joint (for use), simply wrap the threads with PTFE plumbers tape...it’ll allow you to snug the joint up and eliminate potential vapor leaks. No flour paste needed.
ss
I ASSuMEd swing joint = sweat union, but thought I'd wait.

I have a noobish ? I still have compression fittings + plumber's tape on my North Georgia style 3/8" still/thumper/condensor connections.
And I've learned that the olives have to be replaced regularly.

Does it make sense to solder the olives in place, eliminating the need to replace them?
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

TDick wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:31 pm...I ASSuMEd swing joint = sweat union, but thought I'd wait.

I have a noobish ? I still have compression fittings + plumber's tape on my North Georgia style 3/8" still/thumper/condensor connections.
And I've learned that the ”olives” have to be replaced regularly.

Does it make sense to solder the “olives“ in place, eliminating the need to replace them?
Hmmmm...I hope we’re not derailing the OP’s original thread here. But....by “olives”, I believe you’re talking about the compression ferrules used on compression fittings, right? To answer that, no, I would not solder them onto the copper tubing. In fact, for “soft copper” tubing, compression fittings are fine for connection and disconnection. Put a little plumbers tape on the threads and overlap the ferrule and you won’t have any leaks.

But I was referring to hard copper fittings, which are sweat attachment. And the copper union is sweat to sweat with a dimple and cup union coupled with a brass (not in the vapor path) nut. Plumbing supply stores have them in 1/2”, 3/4”, and 1” ( for a price). For copper larger than 1”, I suggest using T/C ferrules, although they’ll add up cost too.
ss
stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillanoob »

Thanks SS. Makes sense. I'll stop doing my part to de-rail this thread now. :roll:
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

stillanoob wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:36 am Thanks SS. Makes sense. I'll stop doing my part to de-rail this thread now. :roll:
Great looking Still!

especially those connections! :D
dec3223
Novice

Post by dec3223 »

SS plug in the thumper for ease of clean out and I have added a flared pivot joint between the thumper and the coil for the purposes of removing the thumper during a stripping run. Attached are the results from last night after cuts from a not so good all grain rye whiskey run. I hope to learn and improve with each run.

18 oz. rye whiskey on charred oak at 113 proof. Going to age this for a couple of months and see what happens. I was quite impressed with the smoothness of the taste pre oak.
60823E0B-F04A-4119-8620-F5E1899DE7F5.jpeg
dec3223
Novice

Post by dec3223 »

pivot joint and insulated thumper. Late afterthought additions to the build.