My first still

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

SomethingObscure
Bootlegger

Re: My first still

Post by SomethingObscure »

My guess is that's it's 1/8 NTP to push fit.
Like this.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Straight-Pus ... 2669419917

I'm sure if you ask the seller on AliExpress they'll tell you what part to buy. But I agree you should look to either get a barb fitting or quick connect

The chart should help you find the type of pipe fitting.

Cheers SomethingObscure
Swagelok-Thread-and-End-Connection-Identification-Guide-p12.jpg
mrplow
Novice

Post by mrplow »

SomethingObscure wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:04 pm My guess is that's it's 1/8 NTP to push fit.
Like this.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Straight-Pus ... 2669419917

I'm sure if you ask the seller on AliExpress they'll tell you what part to buy. But I agree you should look to either get a barb fitting or quick connect...
I think you're correct regarding the 1/8 NTP size. I think I'll go down to Canadian Tire with my fitting to confirm in the next few days. I don't really see a different with that fitting compared to the ones I already have, other that SS vs brass.

The seller wasn't able to provide any info, lost in translation perhaps. :crazy:
2021-03-03 18:45 Me: Do you know what this part is called? I can check local stores to see if it's available
2021-03-03 18:45 Amy LIU: I only know it is screw nut
2021-03-03 18:45 Me: Ok
2021-03-03 18:45 Amy LIU: thanks
2021-03-03 18:59 Me: do you know what tube size goes into the screw nut? I'm still looking for that part
2021-03-03 19:00 Amy LIU: you mean the blue pipe?
2021-03-03 19:00 Me: Yes
2021-03-03 19:00 Amy LIU: it is 6mm for inner diameter
2021-03-03 19:01 Me: Thank you. And I think I measure 9mm for the brass screw?
2021-03-03 19:03 Amy LIU: yes it is
greggn wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:03 am ... I'd ditch those in favor of a true quick-disconnect or, at the least, a male-threaded hose barb...
I'd be interested in finding a "true" quick-disconnect fitting. Any tips on the keywords for searching for these? What is the difference in comparison to the ones I have?
SomethingObscure
Bootlegger

Try search for 1/8 NTP to quick connect, barb or pagoda

Cheers SomethingObscure

Edited to add. The one you have is for a push fit pipe connector.
Last edited by SomethingObscure on Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mrplow
Novice

Post by mrplow »

SomethingObscure wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:31 pm Try search for 1/8 NTP to quick connect, barb or pagoda

Cheers SomethingObscure
Beauty. TYVM
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by greggn »

mrplow wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:25 pm
greggn wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:03 am ... I'd ditch those in favor of a true quick-disconnect or, at the least, a male-threaded hose barb...
I'd be interested in finding a "true" quick-disconnect fitting. Any tips on the keywords for searching for these? What is the difference in comparison to the ones I have?

Here's what I use. They're expensive, and not representative of what you "need" to use, but a good example of something a step above what you were supplied:

https://www.morebeer.com/products/stain ... 2-mpt.html

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn
mrplow
Novice

Post by mrplow »

So.... The original plan was to get everything else I needed to get this still going as a CM type reflux and down the road convert it to a CCVM.

I was aware that CMs are hard to control and would need a separate pump to the reflux condenser with a needle valve. While looking for pumps, needle valves and all the other things I'd need for the CM, I read through DAD300's CCVM thread and I'm pretty sure I'll be converting this column to a CCVM right away ;) My only research into CCVMs previously was Jesse's awesome StillIt videos and his condenser looked too difficult to build, and buying a prefab version of it was expensive, but twisting up some CCST? no problem!

From my understanding, CMs require very controlled water speed through the RC but from reading DAD300's thread it sounds like for the CCVM I could just hook up my water line directly to the RC and avoid the cost of the pumps/needle valve needed for the CM.

Now, being in Canada uncoated CCST is hard to come by, especially 3/8" OD (which sounds ideal for a 2" column) at the needed length.

The best price I've managed to find for 3/8" CSST that ships to Canada is a amazon.com (NOT .ca) which is kind of annoying because I have Prime in Canada which doesn't work on the .com site, oh well - comes out to $35 CAD shipped for 72". I checked a few local big box hardware stores, lowes, rona, home depot - all coated or very short. I even went to Habitat for Humanity's ReStore, and while they didn't have any CCST they did have a few nice door knobs I needed for dirt cheap.
Flextron GUHD-TT14-72E FTGC-SS14-72D [amazon.com]

I'd also still need to get a 2" tee and a short length (8" ?) to go above the tee. I have managed to find them on amazon.ca for around $25 CAD each. Kinda annoying 'cause my entire column was so inexpensive and to get the alibaba shipper to add a 0.5m 2" spool was only $15 CAD. I asked my contact at alibaba and they don't have a tee or a short length of 2" spool.

Also, I went to Canadian Tire with one of the unbroken push connect fittings I was looking to replace, and the guy said it was some weird bizarro part. He thinks the threads are 1/4" but didn't have any way to tell... I wanted to just try to screw it into anything that would take it ( 8) ) but all their fittings are in bags and he wouldn't open anything or risk the damage to the threads... We did stick a bunch of hoses into it to see what would fit, 1/4"? nope... it takes a 5/16" hose.

The journey continues...
mrplow
Novice

Post by mrplow »

I've ordered the tee, CSST and 8" strait spool to build my CCVM! I also bought the fittings I'll need to directly connect the CSST to a garden hose.

Now I'm still having issues still trying to figure out how to get my product condenser fitted to a water source.

The crappy fittings that come with it connect to 5/16" OD hose. If I was to just use what it came with I need to get a few fittings to downsize a garden hose to 5/16".

I bought a 1/8" NPT barb to test the condenser's thread size, its too big... I could get it in about 1 turn but it'll require some force to get it in any further and I'm worried about damaging the threads. The barb would allow for a slightly larger hose as it connects to a 5/16" ID hose.

Below is a pic of the 1/8" NPT barb on the right along with the fitting that came with the condenser on the left. Am I just being overly paranoid and I should just try to screw in the 1/8" barb?
Untitled.jpg
Mr Sippy
Bootlegger

Post by Mr Sippy »

Don't force it.
Kinda looks like the left fitting is hose thread and the right is pipe thread. Adapters are at the big box/hardware store if that's the case.
Be Kind, Tell the Truth, Sip Good Whiskey
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

I think what you have there is two different standards for pipe thread. Likely NPT and ISO or BSPT. If the fitting on the left is one of them blue push connect fittings, it it not standard pipe thread like in the US, and you'll need a thread adapter.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
mrplow
Novice

Post by mrplow »

Thanks for the tips guys, now that you mentioned BSP I think you're right.

It looks like it'll just be cheaper to get 1/8 bsp barbs than getting bsp to npt adapters; but then if I ever wanted to get quick disconnects I'd be annoyed at myself for not just getting adapters in the first place. The search continues.
mrplow
Novice

Post by mrplow »

I think I have an idea that should work.
Currently have a bunch of those not-so-great-but-maybe-good-enough 1/8" bsp push to connect fittings.

My column came with 4 of 'em, 2 for each condenser.

1 was damaged and they sent 2 replacements.

I don't need to use the reflux condenser 'cause I'm going CCVM, so I have 2 in use and 3 good extras.

I think I'll just stick with those for the time being.

Amazon has a 1/8" female bsp to 1/4" male npt adapter for $10, which one of my extra bsp fittings would screw into. They also have a ght to 1/4" female npt adapter for $13 which would connect to my garden hose.

I think with those two adapters and some 5/16 OD hose I'd be all set.... Well I'm still waiting for my power controller parts I ordered from aliexpress back in December :wtf: but other than that I think I'm almost there.

My stainless scrubbies showed up in the mail today. I'm still waiting on some copper mech and the pipe hardware. Crap, I think I need to buy another triclamp lol. I have extra teflon gaskets so I'm good there.
mrplow
Novice

Post by mrplow »

My idea above worked.

Now I have all my hose fittings and all I'm waiting for is the short 8" spool to go above the tee for the CSST.

I think it's time to go to costco and pick up some vinegar, sugar, yeast, and tomato paste.

Oh, and a project box for the SSVR controller. I made a prototype and it dims a light bulb nicely. I'm still waiting for my analog voltmeter to arrive but that can be added later.
mrplow
Novice

Post by mrplow »

Forgot to mention that I picked up a used (but looks brand new) 1800W induction cooktop for $20 CAD. The element has a pretty small diameter but it does help. I'm sure it's not meant to have 100lbs of weight on it either, but it was cheap so I won't be too upset if it breaks.

I also picked up some pipe insulation for my column and some aluminum bubble wrap insulation for the boiler.

I boiled 38L of water, starting at 10.8°C, which took 97 min to bring up to a full boil using my 1500W internal element and the induction cooktop. From my calculations that works out to around 2400W. Without the boiler insulation it took 107 min, not a massive difference, but a difference nonetheless. I only wrapped the boiler once, which I'm sure could be improved because the outside of the insulation was warm to the touch. Unfortunately, I used all the extra wrap to put around my fermenter.

I'll also be picking up a 1650W low density element on Friday, since they can burn out I figured I'll keep my 1500W as a backup.
Butch27
Swill Maker

Post by Butch27 »

mrplow wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:41 am ....I'm sure it's not meant to have 100lbs of weight on it either, but it was cheap so I won't be too upset if it breaks.....
I have been thinking of using an induction cooktop as well. I was planning on making a wood frame just larger and a little higher than the cooktop for the pot to sit on. Then lightly spring load or use some kind of counter balance to hold the cooktop against the bottom of the pot.

Edit: Of course the bottom of the pot needs to be a little larger than the cooktop for this to work.
mrplow
Novice

Post by mrplow »

Butch27 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:25 am I have been thinking of using an induction cooktop as well. I was planning on making a wood frame just larger and a little higher than the cooktop for the pot to sit on. Then lightly spring load or use some kind of counter balance to hold the cooktop against the bottom of the pot.
I actually was thinking something kinda similar but didn't think of the springs, great idea.

I emailed the induction cooktop manufacturer and they said it has a max weight of 25lbs. Honestly though, it seems sturdy enough and I'll probably just use it as is. If the cooktop breaks I'll probably buy a better one then seriously consider a wood frame.

Just got back from Costco with my BW ingredients :ebiggrin:
mrplow
Novice

Post by mrplow »

I started fermenting my first bw for the sacrificial cleaning run yesterday. Exciting times!

It's been bubbling away and looks happy.

I started it in a warped plastic 18.5L water jug that I was going to throw out.

After I got it going I found a guy selling used carboys pretty cheap. I bought 4 x 6gal carboys from him. He was a nice guy and threw in a big 40L fermenter tank and another big tank that looks like a white garbage can, I'm unsure the size of it but the 40L tank fits inside it, too bad the lid is cracking all over the place.

He asked if I was making wine and I said yeah, he then told me he makes moonshine and has 12 carboys fermenting in his kitchen hahaha. After that I admitted I was going to be distilling too. He's using a T500 and the whole turbo yeast system. I told him to get off Facebook and check out homedistiller.org and prepare for your eyes to bleed :lol:

This weekend will be the vinegar run and maybe also the sacrificial bw run. The starting gravity was 1.070 so I'll check the gravity on the weekend. I'm assuming there will be enough alcohol produced by then just for the sacrificial run.

My copper roll for packing (along with as scrubbies I already have) and 8" spoll (for the CSST above the tee) arrived today. Now I think I have everything i need except the voltmeter for my SSVR controller, should show up in a couple weeks.
howie
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by howie »

i fitted SS camlock fittings for the coolant, expensive, but they should outlast me.
plus SS 90degree bends, so the hose doesn't bend.
CM is ok, mine is almost set and forget, bearing in mind i have a good submersible pump and a 55KL reservoir.
power control is far more important IMHO.
my 2" column is 1.1m, 400mm of copper mesh at the top of the column, the rest filled with about 11 x cheap SS scrubbies.(reflux runs).
i think i use about 1700w for a 28L charge.
i think that the power needed is somewhat controlled by the size of the charge. ie to keep a 20L charge on a rolling boil would take less power than a 28L charge.
that Distillex mob make some good stuff, i've been very impressed by their welding standard, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.
mrplow
Novice

Post by mrplow »

howie wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:14 am ...bearing in mind i have a good submersible pump and a 55KL reservoir....
I think something went sideways if you converted 55KL from imperial... Unless you're using a pool for your reservoir (55KL = 14529 gallons)
howie wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:14 am ...that Distillex mob make some good stuff, i've been very impressed by their welding standard, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.
Yeah I agree, the boiler I got from them seems top notch.

I just realized my hydrometer is calibrated to 15.6°C and not 20 like I originally thought.

So I started with a SG of 1.071 after proper temp correction. It now reads 1.041 after 2 days.

It tastes sweet/sour/yeasty... Seems to be on track.
howie
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by howie »

yes, sometimes people swim in my 'reservoir' :)
mrplow
Novice

Post by mrplow »

howie wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:00 pm yes, sometimes people swim in my 'reservoir' :)
Ha ha nice!

Kinda wish I hadn't gotten rid of our above ground pool after the kids moved out.
mrplow
Novice

Post by mrplow »

SG down to 1.026 8)

That's probably good enough for the sacrificial run eh?

Think I should rack it into a carboy and put it outside now so that it's mostly cleared by Sunday? It is still getting pretty cold at night up here (around 5°C).
image.png
SomethingObscure
Bootlegger

If you're desperate to run it Sunday I would let it ferment until at least Saturday night. But if it were me I would let it ferment as long as possible and rack it directly into the boiler.

Just my 2pence.

Cheers SomethingObscure
rootbeers
Novice

Post by rootbeers »

mrplow wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:49 pm Earlier I realized that one of the house adapters is damaged. If one thing had to be damaged in shipping, I'm sure this is the cheapest piece :clap:

The seller is sending a replacement, but couldn't answer my questions for the sizing if I wanted to pick it up locally.

I measured with my calipers and the screw thread is 9mm diam. and a McDonald's straw fits into the house clamp end air tight, the straw is 8mm.

My google foo is failing me and I'm not sure what they're called. Could somebody poke me in the right direction? I suppose I could just take it to Canadian Tire and ask too.

d00b40fd-37de-4da0-9f0d-17736de1b60a.jpg
Simplest thing to do is to go to a plumbers merchants, whack your part on the counter and ask "Have you got anything for this...."

They will have the equipment to handle your issues...

You might come out of it knowing a bit more and also a part that is able to stand up to the job...
mrplow
Novice

Post by mrplow »

I wasn't desperate to run in on any specific day. Just trying to figure out the best use of my time. If it is for a sacrificial run I figured it was done enough.

But I got caught up making my SSR controller insteading of the cleaning runs. I'll post some pics in a bit.

The current gravity is 1.006.
mrplow
Novice

Post by mrplow »

There is another potentiometer inside the box parallel to the pot that is adjustable from the outside. This was mostly cause it was hard to find anything other than 470k ohm pot and having one on the inside allowed me to adjust the main dial so it went from 10v to 120v.
I also cut a slit in the box so the SSVR's heat sink is on the outside. Once the voltmeter arrives it'll go on the top and I'll drill in some vent holes around it.
6c22fac7-9096-4a7f-855d-bfdded26a936.jpg

Doing a vinegar run now!
1ec985eb-e87b-4a79-bd15-e58a9e4cf959.jpg
mrplow
Novice

Post by mrplow »

Man, racking my wash was a pain without a cane. Ordered one from amazon.

My wash for the sacrificial run has been in my outdoor fridge for a few days. The gravity dropped to 1.000 somehow, guess the yeast didn't mind slowly eating away with the low temps.

I started a 85L BW wash, oh boy does it ever smell great at my place.
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

mrplow wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:41 am Forgot to mention that I picked up a used (but looks brand new) 1800W induction cooktop for $20 CAD. The element has a pretty small diameter but it does help. I'm sure it's not meant to have 100lbs of weight on it either, but it was cheap so I won't be too upset if it breaks.

I also picked up some pipe insulation for my column and some aluminum bubble wrap insulation for the boiler.

I boiled 38L of water, starting at 10.8°C, which took 97 min to bring up to a full boil using my 1500W internal element and the induction cooktop. From my calculations that works out to around 2400W. Without the boiler insulation it took 107 min, not a massive difference, but a difference nonetheless. I only wrapped the boiler once, which I'm sure could be improved because the outside of the insulation was warm to the touch. Unfortunately, I used all the extra wrap to put around my fermenter.

I'll also be picking up a 1650W low density element on Friday, since they can burn out I figured I'll keep my 1500W as a backup.
If your still is a larger diameter than your hot plate just cut some 2x4 to the right height to support the still. I had the same worries that the hot plate would not be designed to hold a still plus 6 or so gallons of wash. Mine turned out to be the same height as a 2x4 so no cutting was involved.
mrplow
Novice

Post by mrplow »

subbrew wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 9:34 pm If your still is a larger diameter than your hot plate just cut some 2x4 to the right height to support the still. I had the same worries that the hot plate would not be designed to hold a still plus 6 or so gallons of wash. Mine turned out to be the same height as a 2x4 so no cutting was involved.
That's a great idea. I have a huge scrap wood pile, I'll see if anything lines up.
mrplow
Novice

Post by mrplow »

Ran my sacrificial run. The first run with alcohol and actually using the CCVM in reflux mode was pretty fun!

My first 3 jars came off at 3 drips/sec and were 96%! Azerotrope on my first try? I didn't temp correct it and got called away by the missus before I had a chance. Only because of this awesome forum and reading until my eyes were bleeding was I able to have such a smooth first run.

Then I raised the reflux condenser a bit until it was coming out as a breaking stream and it was 95% for a couple jars.
Then 90% then 88% and then I stopped.

I can definately smell the acetone smell in the first jar as I didn't separate the foreshots.

The rest all smells surprisingly sweet with something else in the background that I can't make out.

I'll temp correct the ABV to see what I really ended up with. I haven't measured the volume at all either but I do know that 14L of birdwatchers went in which started with a SG of 1.071 and ended at 1.000.
baa65fc3-18dc-437d-81da-03455ca08014_1.jpg
mrplow
Novice

Post by mrplow »

Jar # ABV % Volume mL
1 95 200
2 95 200
3 95 150
4 93 250
5 89 300
6 87 250