Apple Jack

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

Walshie
Novice

Apple Jack

Post by Walshie »

One week in:
15 litres of Presidents Choice apple cider + 1 heaping tbsp of DDAY; og Brix 12.4, SG 1.05.
Its been bubbling hard all week and seems to have slowed down yesterday. I checked the science today - Brix reading 1.04 which converts to a SG 0.996 and ABV around 16%. Its still bubbling a little so I'll let it keep going. It tastes like a real hard cider which is good.

Its still not cold enough here to start Jacking. Stay tuned.
AJ week 1.jpg
shine_
Novice

Re: Apple Jack

Post by shine_ »

Congratz on your first ferment, but you should recheck the math. If this is just a cider with no added sugar, it can't be close to 16 ABV. Given your SG 1.05 or 12.4 BRIX it should go up to something like 7ABV maximum.
SassyFrass
Distiller
Location: Sittin' on the side of the Mountain sippin' and smilin'

Post by SassyFrass »

Drank a quite a bit of apple jack and peach jack when I was stationed in Georgia. Worst hangovers ever.
Simple Lil' Pot Still, no temp guage, no carbon, no scrubbers, nuthin' fancy. Sometimes use a thumper, sometimes don't.

Real good info for New Folks:
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

SassyFrass wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:59 pm Drank a quite a bit of apple jack and peach jack when I was stationed in Georgia. Worst hangovers ever.
I'm picking that's the ethyl acetate or the acetone, maybe both or something else. I've toyed with the idea that they might be first out when thawing, but never tried doing cuts on it to find out. I stopped jacking fermented liquor a few years ago and only jack juice now.
SassyFrass
Distiller
Location: Sittin' on the side of the Mountain sippin' and smilin'

Post by SassyFrass »

Been reading about folks jacking instead of stripping run or maybe just as an additional step. It's an interesting idea and if you have the right weather, why not?
Simple Lil' Pot Still, no temp guage, no carbon, no scrubbers, nuthin' fancy. Sometimes use a thumper, sometimes don't.

Real good info for New Folks:
Walshie
Novice

Post by Walshie »

shine_ wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:03 pm Congratz on your first ferment, but you should recheck the math. If this is just a cider with no added sugar, it can't be close to 16 ABV. Given your SG 1.05 or 12.4 BRIX it should go up to something like 7ABV maximum.
Yep, rechecked on this site and you are correct. 7% https://www.northernbrewer.com/pages/re ... calculator
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I suspect that water may freeze in alcohol free shards if the rate of freezing is slow enough. I've seen that happen in one of my refrigerators but didn't think to test the shards for abv. I don't live in a suitable climate to test the theory, but if you do, go for it.
Farside
Bootlegger

Post by Farside »

Yes , I do quite a bit of jacking. In the first few cycles the wine tends to freeze solid if it gets too cold and it's hard to handle.

After a few cycles the alcohol goes up and the ice forms shards and large flakes which make separation and general handling much easier.