My first time fermenting something for distilling

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

codes_dude
Novice

My first time fermenting something for distilling

Post by codes_dude »

Fermentation is bubbling away. I chose to start with Wineos Plain Ol Sugar Wash to minimize the variables introduced. I'm planning to run that through a reflux in 2-3 weeks.

~7Lbs Sugar
Total Volume 5 Gallons
1 tsp of citric acid
1 tsp of DAP
1 tsp of gypsum
A pinch of epsom
1/4 cup of distillers yeast
OG 1.069
Pitch Temp 88f
Room Temp 66f
12 hours later Temp 83f

I'm guessing my fermentation temps will drop over the next couple of days. I may build something to keep the temperatures up in the future, but my understanding is that a lower temp with DADY will just mean longer fermentation times.

Is there a need to check S.G. daily? I noticed many people here take daily readings. From brewing, I'm used to the set it and forget it for a couple of weeks method.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: My first time fermenting something for distilling

Post by still_stirrin »

Keep your fingers out of it. Just watch and listen to the bubble activity, when it slows, it’s getting to the later stages of fermentation. But, since most sugar washes tend to go acidic, you could check the pH after a few days. The acid environment will slow fermentation or even cause it to stop. So keeping the pH at or above 3.5 may help attenuation.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
codes_dude
Novice

Post by codes_dude »

Thanks for the tip. I will check pH in a few days and record Temp/Refract S.G. while I'm at it.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

It is not necessary to check the fermentation daily. Check if it has started (beginning of foam / bubbles) and when it ends (end of bubbles) just look and listen to the ferment. The pH must be adequate as explained by others, it is important that it is not too acidic, I would aim for 4.5
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

+1 on sugar wash pH values to prevent a crash.

Looks like you;re in the right direction.

I might recommend making a larger batch - say 3-4 times the size of your boiler so you can plan to do three or four strips to get enough low wines to charge your boiler for the spirit run. Strip down to about 40% abv total (around 10-20%abv off the spout but 40%abv for total volume of low wines)... Larger 3x batch will be less time and effort.

Cheers!
-jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
codes_dude
Novice

Post by codes_dude »

Thanks for the tips. I will likely be using this for the Sac run(s.) I have a pot still head and a reflux head for my setup. Run it through both the pot still head and the reflux head to clean any nasty stuff from the production of them. I am rethinking this a bit thinking it might not be a good idea to run the dirty stripping sac run from the pot still through the column still. These were purchased, I did not build them. They don't say anything about vinegar or sac runs which makes me a little nervous on their level of safety in the manufacturing of them.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Dont freak out to much about the PH thing.......some people never check and never need to.