My first reflux sac run

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

codes_dude
Novice

My first reflux sac run

Post by codes_dude »

I have two heads to my still, a pot head and a Boka style reflux. My plan is to use the pot still for stripping runs and the reflux for neutral spirit runs. Today was my first time putting alcohol through the reflux and I'm surprised at how much slower this thing runs.

I ran 3 Gallons of 10% through (Watered down cheap vodka that was previously run through the pot still.)

I kept the output to 2 drops per second (I believe 2-3 is recommended based on the Boka guide) and was achieving 95% purity throughout the run.

Head temp was 174.7 throughout the whole run, didn't move more than .1 degrees throughout.
Output was 200ML per hour, which seems a little slow to me.

I am using the Alcoengine/Kegland Reflux head with the .6mm restrictor nozzle and valve at 100% open. It's roughly 2" x 20". After doing some research on the forum it appears that this is in the ballpark of what others were able to achieve with this small simple head.
kimbodious
Distiller

Re: My first reflux sac run

Post by kimbodious »

200 ml per hour seems very slow. Check that the orifice on the restricted valve is clear and that the breather hole is in the upright setting. Check that there is no PTFE plumbers tape obsctructing any of the connections.
--
50L Beer keg boiler, 2200W element
Modular 2" Pot Still
opinions are free and everybody has them, experience costs you time
codes_dude
Novice

Post by codes_dude »

The breather hole is definitely upright, I will double-check for any restrictions tonight. I saw other posts reporting 300ml/hr at 92% so I figured I was in the ballpark, maybe a little slow. Hoping to get things sorted before running a keeper spirit run.
kimbodious
Distiller

Post by kimbodious »

The manual for the Kegland reflux still suggests output rates up to 1.2 litres per hour, assuming using the 1.0mm aperture restrictor
https://www.kegland.com.au/media/pdf/Al ... ctions.pdf
--
Modular 2" Pot Still
codes_dude
Novice

Post by codes_dude »

I wish it shipped with those instructions, I got a different set. I was using the smaller .6mm piece. There was also a little gunk accumulation behind the valve since it was the sac run.
kimbodious
Distiller

Post by kimbodious »

:thumbup: All good, looking forward to reading about more successful runs!
--
Modular 2" Pot Still
codes_dude
Novice

Post by codes_dude »

Thanks for the guidance! I'm glad to know it should run faster in the future