my first whisky - odin's cornflakes

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

maltyguy
Novice

my first whisky - odin's cornflakes

Post by maltyguy » Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:04 am

hello. this is my first whisky that i made using odin's cornflakes whisky.
i'm still relatively new to distilling but i did practice with sugar shines and so far im in love with this hobby.

i followed the exact same recipe but i only add 250 grams of cornflakes
1 pound of malted barley
200 grams of chocolate unmalted barley for peatness

one of the jars

and the final product

aged in Ukrainian oak for about 2 weeks.
it aint Glenlivet 18 but its good. strong leather flavor mixed with dried fruits and a hint of tobacco.
i can't vouch for ukrainian oak, it was too peppery but its mellowing out i think.
im planning to do a bigger batch soon i will definitely use american white oak.

SassyFrass
Distiller
Location: Sittin' on the side of the Mountain sippin' and smilin'

Re: my first whisky - odin's cornflakes

Post by SassyFrass » Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:48 am

More time on the Ukrainian oak may give it it's own wonderful unique flavor profile. I use a lot of charred apple, pear, and crab apple wood, either mixed with oak or instead of oak. And I'm surrounded by white and red oaks.
I'm a firm believer in local flavors taking precedence over the commercial generic flavors. But the only one you have to please is yourself.
Have fun.
SF
Simple Lil' Pot Still, no temp guage, no carbon, no scrubbers, nuthin' fancy. Sometimes use a thumper, sometimes don't.

Real good info for New Folks:

maltyguy
Novice

Post by maltyguy » Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:58 am

SassyFrass wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:48 am
More time on the Ukrainian oak may give it it's own wonderful unique flavor profile. I use a lot of charred apple, pear, and crab apple wood, either mixed with oak or instead of oak. And I'm surrounded by white and red oaks.Image
I'm a firm believer in local flavors taking precedence over the commercial generic flavors. But the only one you have to please is yourself. Image
Have fun.
SF
i always wanted to try pear wood. i have some apple brandy waiting to be oaked.
can u tell me more about the flavors in pear wood? thanks :thumbup:

SassyFrass
Distiller
Location: Sittin' on the side of the Mountain sippin' and smilin'

Post by SassyFrass » Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:19 am

I dont have the palette or command of the language to be able to explain how something tastes, other than good or damn, that's nasty.
I'm probably too simple of a guy for that.
All the fruit woods I've used just seem to be a little smoother than just oak on finished product. If I did add a little too much heads then it seems to help mellow them out, especially for brandies.
But i cant do that tobacco, licorice, blah, blah blah note stuff.
I got a buddy that's a whiskey connoisseur and I'll take him a little taste sometime and he'll sit there and give me a 20 minute dissertation on each sip, when all I really want to know is if he enjoyed the drop. But he likes using big words and I like sipping with him.
PS...I probably should add that crab apple is my favorite with apple and pear coming a close second. And that's mixed with white oak, not by itself. And aged about 5+ years.
SF
Simple Lil' Pot Still, no temp guage, no carbon, no scrubbers, nuthin' fancy. Sometimes use a thumper, sometimes don't.

Real good info for New Folks:

Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer » Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:28 am

Nice bottle man
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....

maltyguy
Novice

Post by maltyguy » Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:36 pm

SassyFrass wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:19 am

All the fruit woods I've used just seem to be a little smoother than just oak on finished product. If I did add a little too much heads then it seems to help mellow them out, especially for brandies.
im a fan of keep the heads they have so much flavors. i'll give fruit woods a shot. thanks

Durhommer wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:28 am
Nice bottle man
glad u like it.