My first run

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

Posey0474
Novice

My first run

Post by Posey0474 »

I have a couple firsts to report, but will break them up in different posts. This is my first still. I did not build it, so nothing to brag about. But so you understand what I am using, it is simple 3" copper pot still with a Leibig copper condenser on a 16-gallon boiler with two 2000W internal elements, one variable, one not. I also have a whiskey helmet (see pic) that I did not use for this first go around.
still.jpg
First thing I did was do a run with 50/50 water and white vinegar, then rinsed and sterilized everything. No leaks.

My first project was a sugar shine recipe.. For the mash, I boiled 4 gallons of water. Added 2 gallons of the boiling water and 14lbs. of sugar to an 8 gallon fermenter and stirred it until it dissolved. I then added the remaining 2 gallons of boiling water and 2.6 gallons of cold water. When temp dropped to 102F, I pitched turbo yeast, stirred for 1 minute, put a lid and airlock on it, and kept it in a room at 73 degrees. Note: I've read the comments regarding turbo yeast and don't plan to use it going forward. But the turbo yeast came with my set up from Mile Hi and since I was just doing this for practice, I went with it. (Same for my next post regarding rye project). Airlock bubbled strong for a couple of days and slowed on day 3. I forgot to check my OG, but my SG on day 3 was 1.001 and ABV was 12%. So I added a clearing agent and let it sit for 24 hours. Another note, I plan on letting time clear my wash in the future, but had the product and wanted to get going.

For the stripping run, I siphoned 24L of sugar wash into the boiler and turned on both burners, full power. I also added 2 rolls of copper mesh to the column. I collected the 8oz. of foreshots, then 2 hours later I had 1.5 gallons of 55% ABV low wines.

For the spirit run, I added 9.5L of water and the 5.5L of low wines to the boiler and fired up the still. I collected 10 pint jars before shutting the still down. The last jar was 46%ABV. Middle jar was 73% ABV. I haven't gotten around to making cuts. I did notice that the last 3 jars are now cloudy, everything else is clear.

All in all, I think it was pretty successful. My next post will be about my next project which was all-grain.
River Rat
Swill Maker

Re: My first run

Post by River Rat »

Sounds like a success and that's a good looking rig. Good luck with your next mash project! I'm an all grain fanatic myself :thumbup:
I think you'll find the clearing agent is not worth the time, trouble, or cost. I tried a few different types years ago. Ended up going back to just letting it sit and settle for a week or so before racking into the still.
Plain ole pot rig.
Posey0474
Novice

Post by Posey0474 »

Thanks for the advice. Starting my second all grain mash today and will plan on just letting it settle.
SmokyMtn
Rumrunner

Post by SmokyMtn »

My 9" Shotgun Condenser

This hobby really is not so much about making alcohol. But bottling opportunities to make memories with Friends and Family.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Looks like your off to a good start with a nice looking set-up. I am guessing whiskey or rum is what your planning on making with the pot still. I would move to the Tried & True Recipe section as your next step. UJSSM is probably the easiest recipe for whiskey and still gives a pretty good drink. After you gain confidence moving to AG recipes is a direction you would probably want to head. I say this route although you could go straight to all grain but it involves a few more steps.