Stolen copper

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

Berserk
Bootlegger

Stolen copper

Post by Berserk »

Heyo,

I live in an apartment complex and just went down to my cage storage unit in the basement to grab some copper sheet metal and a 1" pipe.

Nope, it's gone. And so was the brass sheet stood next to the copper one. F*ckin copper thieves must've fished it out through the cage/metal net because there was no sign of entry and the padlock was intact and locked.

Well, I've learned my lesson: never leave copper visible or some lowlife with stocky fingers will find it.

Fortunately they didn't find the 3" pipes or the barrel aging booze (that would have been a real blow to the gut!), so there's always that.

Take care people, and don't leave visible copper laying around.
Cheers,
Berserk

He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind.
But he who sticks out in darkness is fluorescent!
Bushman
Admin

Re: Stolen copper

Post by Bushman »

Bummer, I put all of my cables and wires from the street to the house underground. When I stripped the copper from the old lines and took it in to sell to the recycle place I had to sign a paper describing where it came from.
SassyFrass
Distiller
Location: Sittin' on the side of the Mountain sippin' and smilin'

Post by SassyFrass »

Sad but true. The thieves around here will strip the wiring and copper pipes out of older empty homes. But neighbors usually try to keep an eye on stuff for each other.
Not too long ago, thieves would rather turn themselves in to the law than be caught by local folks.
Simple Lil' Pot Still, no temp guage, no carbon, no scrubbers, nuthin' fancy. Sometimes use a thumper, sometimes don't.

Real good info for New Folks:
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

I wish a motherfucker would!! That's sad you got jacked man
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Bushman wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:39 am Bummer, I put all of my cables and wires from the street to the house underground. When I stripped the copper from the old lines and took it in to sell to the recycle place I had to sign a paper describing where it came from.
That's just because you were not a thief that they knew . They take care of their own . Been that way for ages .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

SassyFrass wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:02 am Sad but true. The thieves around here will strip the wiring and copper pipes out of older empty homes. But neighbors usually try to keep an eye on stuff for each other.
Not too long ago, thieves would rather turn themselves in to the law than be caught by local folks.
round here they were striping copper from houses under construction, and striping wire from

the street lights while they were laying on the ground waiting to be installed. I have 2 real

good telescopes and dispatch learned real quick that when I called I was serious. got a few

that way and knowing the scrappy as well as I do they paid attention when I told them what

colors and what diameter the coils were that were being stolen from my area.

they wouldn't let me use my dynamite gun to slow the thieves down, said I couldn't

even talk about that or i'd get the cuffs. and then I got the wink. :wtf: :wtf:
be water my friend
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Dynamite gun??

Geoff
The Baker
Zeotropic
Rumrunner

Post by Zeotropic »

cob wrote:
SassyFrass wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:02 am Sad but true. The thieves around here will strip the wiring and copper pipes out of older empty homes. But neighbors usually try to keep an eye on stuff for each other.
round here they were striping copper from houses under construction, and striping wire from

the street lights while they were laying on the ground waiting to be installed. I have 2 real

good telescopes and dispatch learned real quick that when I called I was serious. got a few

that way and knowing the scrappy as well as I do they paid attention when I told them what

colors and what diameter the coils were that were being stolen from my area.

they wouldn't let me use my dynamite gun to slow the thieves down, said I couldn't

even talk about that or i'd get the cuffs. and then I got the wink. :wtf: :wtf:
I heard about a hydronic heat installation in a big city that the installer would be threading in a brass pipe through the wall and a thief would be unscrewing it from the other side of the wall. They ended up designing the next projects for steam heat because it used iron pipe.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

The Baker wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:52 am Dynamite gun??

Geoff
A rifle that is capable of hitting a coffee can with explosives in it at 500 - 2000 yards.

there were 3 matches every summer for that exact purpose. big boom big fun.

that tool is also capable of stopping a thief's car at roughly the same distances.
be water my friend
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

cob wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:38 pm
The Baker wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:52 am Dynamite gun??

Geoff
A rifle that is capable of hitting a coffee can with explosives in it at 500 - 2000 yards.

there were 3 matches every summer for that exact purpose. big boom big fun.

that tool is also capable of stopping a thief's car at roughly the same distances.
Gotcha.

Geoff
The Baker
RickyNZ
Novice

Post by RickyNZ »

The copper thieves also steal copper grounding straps from out electrical network making it less safe. Just a pity there isn't a fault while they are stealing it.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

A number of years ago my brother did some work in Johannesburg, South Africa. His host, living in the well-to-do area, told him a story, which my brother recited to me:

The city of Johannesburg is surrounded with shantytowns. Pure squalor: no electricity, running water, plumbing of any kind. At one point a new 'governor' arrived and made arrangements for running water to one of these areas. This single act promised to improve the living conditions immeasurably. Once the single above-ground copper water lines were installed the towns folk promptly took it all and sold it.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

This can only go to political time outs chill guys. Cheers.